WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tent Advice!

Default Tent Advice!

I'm contemplating a '18 thru hike northbound. Right now I'm taking stock of cost...which leads me to my question. I have a MSR Elixir 3 tent, I like it, it's still in great condition, but I feel like it's too big to bring. Am I crazy to consider it so I don't have to buy another?

Journal Entries
    Images

4 lb 4 oz. You may start with it but I doubt that you will finish with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If your tent is 4.4 lbs, it's too heavy for a thru hike, you can do much better for less than a hundred bucks.

Amazon will have much lighter options for way less, That is just way to much weight to put on your back for that kind of distance.

Thanks everyone, confirmation of what I was thinking. I'll put it on the list.

For what it is worth, I have both a ZPacks Duplex and BA Copper Spur UL2 HV. Both are light and quite comfy, especially for 1 person. The Duplex wins on weatherproofness, the UL2 HV wins on ease of setup due to its freestanding setup...though the Duplex isn't hard to setup. There are many very good, much lighter options for a thru hike.

My Duplex is the easiest tent I have ever set up. Easy compared to the easiest freestanding tent. And for the weight and cost it is by far the best decision I have made getting my gear together.

Lightheart Gear SoLong 6, and don't look back. Not enough space here to write what a wonderful tent it is.

https://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php/shop-now/tents

OkeefenokeeJoe

I have an MSR Elixir 3 and I love it... for car camping. I'm not sure how others have it at 4.4 lbs because when I weighted mine before my section hike in July, it came at a little over 6 lbs!!! Regardless of whether I'm the one who's wrong or they are, it's still too heavy. Think about it, water weighs 2.2 lbs a liter! If you get a 2-ish lbs tent, it's like you erased the weight of your water. In my opinion, buying a lighter tent is money well spent. At least, it was for me.

You've got a fine tent -- for 2 people. 2 lbs./person is reasonable. If you find a compatible hiking partner between now and your start date you're good. Otherwise, start making lists of reasonable tents. If there aren't any other sales, you'll be able to fine pretty much everything on sale Black Friday (day after Thanksgiving).

If you use trekking poles, why not select a tent that uses the trekking poles for its support?

There have been several suggestions already, and lots of people love those tents. Check out Tarptent.com while you're researching. I've had 2 so far. First a two person, then a 1 person (the Notch). The Notch sets up super fast, is a double wall tent, only needs 4 stakes, has 2 doors and 2 vestibules, and weighs 27 ounces... but take your time and do your research.

Quote Originally Posted by AFGreenJeans View Post
    I'm contemplating a '18 thru hike northbound. Right now I'm taking stock of cost...which leads me to my question. I have a MSR Elixir 3 tent, I like it, it's still in great condition, but I feel like it's too big to bring. Am I crazy to consider it so I don't have to buy another?
    I would not consider taking the Elixir 3, by any stretch of the imagination. I own one, and it makes a fine car camping tent but a lousy backpacking tent. Too heavy, too big, too .....You name it.

4 ob. 4 oz.? I just weighed my Elixir 3 (with poles, stuff bag, & stakes) and it comes in at well over 6 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    If your tent is 4.4 lbs, it's too heavy for a thru hike, you can do much better for less than a hundred bucks.
    Do you mean much better only in terms of weight? If so, well, yes there's the Eureka Solitaire - perhaps some others (but nothing comes to mind). If you mean in terms of both weight and at least similar quality, what is much better for less than $100? Or are you suggesting buying used?

In fact, my Elixir 3 is closer to 7 pounds than 6. Where is this 4 lb., 4 oz. coming from? I swapped out the original crappy stakes with groundhogs, but that's a wash, since they weighed about the same as the originals. I also added side guylines, but at most that's two ounces. Why the 3 pound difference?

2 words... ham mock

Quote Originally Posted by Bansko View Post
    4 ob. 4 oz.? I just weighed my Elixir 3 (with poles, stuff bag, & stakes) and it comes in at well over 6 pounds.
    I got the same thing when I weighed mine.

Journal Entries
    Images

I would suggest starting with the tent you have. Consider that 80% of the thru-hikers that start, don't finish. Start your hike with your existing tent. If you decide to stay for the long haul than spend some funds to lighten your gear.
    Grampie-N->2001

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jgillam View Post
    For what it is worth, I have both a ZPacks Duplex and BA Copper Spur UL2 HV. Both are light and quite comfy, especially for 1 person. The Duplex wins on weatherproofness, the UL2 HV wins on ease of setup due to its freestanding setup...though the Duplex isn't hard to setup. There are many very good, much lighter options for a thru hike.
    I absolutely loved my BA Copper Super UL2 (pre-HV) for a JMT thru hike last year. Small enough that it could be setup in lots of places, yet big enough to comfortably fit my large sleeping pad, back pack, and all my gear... INSIDE the tent.

I had heard various stories of gear damaged or stolen (boots, shoelaces, hiking pole handles,etc) by mouse/marmot/coyote that I didn't want to risk leaving anything outside my tent... so I didn't (except the bear canister).

I would setup my sleeping pad diagonally leaving me plenty of room to setup my gear around me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008P...EML&ref=plSrch

and there are lighter and cheaper tents out there.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++