WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Senior Pass -- 800% Price Inc on August 28th

For those who might have lost their lifetime Senior Pass (formerly know as a Golden Age Passport), or not yet picked one up after turning 62 years of age, please take note:

• The price of the lifetime Senior Pass will increase from $10 ($20 if purchased on line) $80 on August 28th 2017.

For those unfamiliar with these, it covers entance fees for not just the pass holder, but everyone in his car at National Parks and Wildlife Refuges and more, and even serves as a parking pass in the WMNF. Other benefits include 50% discount at the relatively expensive front-country NPS campgrounds.

That's a factor of 8, or a 700% price increase. And I'm apparently a few months too young to be "senior".

80 for a lifetime pass, a bargain at twice that price...

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DownEaster View Post
    That's a factor of 8, or a 700% price increase.
    Right you are.

Thanks!

I ordered my pass about a month ago. They are way behind in processing because of the crush of orders to beat the increase.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Quote Originally Posted by ldsailor View Post
    I ordered my pass about a month ago. They are way behind in processing because of the crush of orders to beat the increase.
    Here is a list of sites where you can get a pass in person. Be sure to call first to be sure they have some in stock.

https://www.recreation.gov/brands/re...e_List1931.pdf

As a note, do not lose it. At unstaffed areas it is supposed to be placed on the dashboard. A small risk at $10. Rather more at $80. Financially, the greater risk is to one's windows. Still a great deal.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Last fall my wife and I went to Crater Lake. The Ranger at the fee entrance asked me how old I was. I turned 62 three weeks before our trip. The Ranger said "You should get a life time senior pass". I used to get a regular annual pass when I lived near Shenandoah National Park (about $70 as I remember) so I asked "How much is it"? When she said "$10" I about fell out of the car. There are a few good things about getting older.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

[QUOTE=rickb;2164642]For those who might have lost their lifetime Senior Pass (formerly know as a Golden Age Passport), or not yet picked one up after turning 62 years of age, please take note:

• The price of the lifetime Senior Pass will increase from $10 ($20 if purchased on line) $80 on August 28th 2017.

For those unfamiliar with these, it covers entance fees for not just the pass holder, but everyone in his car at National Parks and Wildlife Refuges and more, and even serves as a parking pass in the WMNF. Other benefits include 50% discount at the relatively expensive front-country NPS campgrounds.

[/QUOTE

Thanks for the heads-up. I just ordered mine for the $20 cost.
    zig-zag man

There is no such thing as free.

You can go to almost any Nat'l park or National Historical Monument that has a manned office. Eg. here in the Boston burbs, we scooted up the road a bit to Lowell, where there's an office downtown in the center of the historical district. "Processing" took about five minutes.

I got mine at the San Juan NF office in Pagosa Springs, CO. You don't have to go to a National Park or Monument.
    Just do it!
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I got mine at the San Juan NF office in Pagosa Springs, CO. You don't have to go to a National Park or Monument.
    Just do it!
    Wayne
    The gate to Plum Island National Wildlife Refuge worked for us -- didn't even have to get out of the car.

My brother got his this summer when we were hiking. We had parked at Harpers Ferry WV and paid for one day there, then we went to a nearby battlefield. He had his receipt from the first place and one of the staff was nice enough to find him the form he could fill in to get that first day changed into a lifetime pass.

Looks like my wife and I will be paying more, but as someone said still a bargain at 80x2 as we hope to see a lot of them in retirement.

++ New Posts ++