WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Alum Cave Trail Closure

There was word in the backcountry this weekend that Alum Trail was closed for a while due to a death.
    Any details?
    (Not looking to name names, just curious if it was a medical situation or some accident).

Images

Here's the press release the Park put out earlier today...

Hiker Suffers Medical Emergency on Alum Cave Trail

Great Smoky Mountains National Park Rangers responded to a report of man in cardiac distress on Alum Cave Trail at approximately 9:59 a.m. on Saturday, July 15. Phillip Basset Davenport, age 47, from Nashville, TN was hiking down the Alum Cave Trail from Mt. Le Conte with a group of friends after staying the previous night at LeConte Lodge. He suddenly passed out 3 miles from the trailhead and bystanders administered CPR while park medics responded. Davenport passed away at approximately 11:14 a.m.

Davenport was carried off the trail by Park Rangers and then transported by the Gatlinburg Fire Department to LeConte Medical Center.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

My condolences to the Davenport family.

It is because of past stories such as this that I try to make sure my kids know what they need to do (generally shelter in-place until help can arrive) should some unfortunate thing happen to me while we're out on the trail together.

++ New Posts ++