WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default September Section Hike in Georgia - What to Pack?

Hello All,

I will begin a section hike on Sept. 18 starting at Springer Mtn. and going north for however far 10 days takes me. What I would like to know is should I pack my EE 40 degree quilt or my REI Igneo 19 degree bag? I will be bringing a silk liner that adds a little warmth as well as long sleeved and legged base layers. I am typically a slightly cold sleeper. I realize that it depends upon the specific weather at that time, but I am asking for conditions in general for that time of year for planning purposes.

Thanks in advance for your input. I will have more questions as the time gets closer, I'm sure!

At your age, and considering the fact that you admit that you are a "cold" sleeper, I'd go for the 19-degree bag. If it proves to be a little warm, then you can always sleep on top of it, inside your bag liner. Understand this, though, it is SUMMERTIME in Georgia during the month of September and I, personally, would take the 40-degree quilt. This is not Yankeeville, it is the Deep South and I have had some of my most intense heat issues creep up during the month of September. Your choice but, based on what you have presented, I think you are inclined to take the 19-degree bag, and I totally understand that. Better to the need to cool off a little than to desperately try to get warm.

OkeefenokeeJoe

it's good you have both. days may be warm and nights may be cool. September tends to be dry so it can get a little cooler. I would be prepared both ways then check a 10 day forecast for Suches, GA right before you leave, knowing that some of the ridges may be a few degrees cooler.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steppin'Wolf View Post
    Hello All,

I will begin a section hike on Sept. 18 starting at Springer Mtn. and going north for however far 10 days takes me. What I would like to know is should I pack my EE 40 degree quilt or my REI Igneo 19 degree bag? I will be bringing a silk liner that adds a little warmth as well as long sleeved and legged base layers. I am typically a slightly cold sleeper. I realize that it depends upon the specific weather at that time, but I am asking for conditions in general for that time of year for planning purposes.

Thanks in advance for your input. I will have more questions as the time gets closer, I'm sure!
    90% chance all you need is liner

The 40 should be plenty warm even for a colder sleeper. I tend to sleep cold and wouldn't even think about the 19 in September unless there is going to be some really weird weather this year. If you are worried, pack an extra layer.

Quote Originally Posted by soumodeler View Post
    The 40 should be plenty warm even for a colder sleeper. I tend to sleep cold and wouldn't even think about the 19 in September unless there is going to be some really weird weather this year. If you are worried, pack an extra layer.
    Agree 100%.

Just a quick update. I spent three days and two nights on the Sheltowee Trace in the Daniel Boone National Forest (near Somerset, KY) last week. The low on the coldest night was 43 degrees. With my 40 degree quilt and liner and clothes setup set up, I was still quite comfortable and feel I would have done well even a few degrees colder. I will still keep an eye on the weather temps, but with my trip one week away, I think I will be fine with that.

Go with the 19. You could easily be quite surprised with how cold it can get in September up above 3k'. Better to have a warm bag than to need a warm bag. I did WS to the NOC last weekend. While Sun night was quiet warm, Sat night shocked most everyone in camp at how cold it got. My 45F Summer bag would have been useless.

I'm on trail now and my 40 was way too much first 2 days and weather has changed so much in 1 day. Be safe and take the heavy option

++ New Posts ++