WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Oh, how I dislike spellchecker and word complete. "Covert blessed" = convertible.

Yes Prana Stretch Zions are expensive, but one pair lasted an entire through hike and I still wear them.

White Sierra cheapo convertibles are far lighter, breathable and quick drying than any of the trendy expensive ones I own. I found the Prana pants too hot, but I wear shorts down to 35 degrees or so (depending on the wind.) The mud stained White Sierra are the ones I take on the trail, the fancy ones are the ones I wear to go grocery shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    White Sierra cheapo convertibles are far lighter, breathable and quick drying than any of the trendy expensive ones I own. I found the Prana pants too hot, but I wear shorts down to 35 degrees or so (depending on the wind.) The mud stained White Sierra are the ones I take on the trail, the fancy ones are the ones I wear to go grocery shopping.
    Pranas and running shorts. All bases covered.

Quote Originally Posted by Bansko View Post
    Pranas and running shorts. All bases covered.
    I like a few pockets in my hiking shorts. I did bring a skimpy pair of running shorts to wear as laundry shorts. (Apologies to anyone who actually saw me wearing them.)

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bansko View Post
    Agreed; they are the best long hiking pants I've ever owned.
    The Wrangler versions are near clones of some of the Prana pants if someone is looking for a budget version.

https://www.wrangler.com/shop/perfor...oor-pant-nw740
    Last edited by Mags; 08-14-2017 at 14:32.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Click View Post
    I went to Active Endeavors and talked with a sales person that has hiked a lot. He uses Kuel (?) pants. I bought one and liked it a lot: lite weight, strong, quick drying (I'm a sweater): I bought 2 more. Also got some patagonia shorts.
    However​, none of it was cheap. If you are not in a hurry try sales in the off season??
    Kuhl Renegade zipoffs are great, but 100 bucks. REI Sahara's are about 60 bucks. I wear Craghopper stretch zipoffs, but I don't think they are sold in the US anymore. UK for sure, but not in US that I can find. Shame, best pants ever.

You can't go wrong with Kuhl, just make sure it doesn't have cotton. For whatever reason, Kuhl outdoor gear often has cotton...

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    The Wrangler versions are near clones of some of the Prana pants if someone is looking for a budget version.

https://www.wrangler.com/shop/perfor...oor-pant-nw740
    I'm going to order a pair now.

Thanks for the link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I did a test to determine the drying times in 2 pairs of pants I have. The one is a thicker 35% cotton / 65% polyester blend with a wax coating, and the other is a thin nylon synthetic. I soaked the legs of both in my bath and hung them up. By the time I had finished bathing, the cotton blend was bone dry and the nylon was damp.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks to everyone here who has contributed info. I've found quite a few of the suggestions and we've given them a try-on. Ultimately we decided on a pair of REI saharas (clearanced) and some Wallyworld (Russell) exercise pants for camp/backup.

Note to EMS fans: Bob's Store, a NE retailer, carries EMS closeouts at really good prices. They're online for out-of-regioners.

Thanks again everyone.....he seems content.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Since you know more than the rest of us about what your specific needs and wants are, why dont you try searching for models you like, and asking for opinions on those specific items?

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Found what we needed, thanks.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    Ultimately we decided on a pair of REI saharas (clearanced).
    Hi, Teacher, I came late to the party again... but before I read to the end of the thread, I was about to say that this is about the season when REI starts having clearance sales on the Sahara pants (and EMS starts clearing their counterparts). When you and I go out with Gumball, you'll likely see me in a pair, picked up on clearance. They're pretty much standard-issue nylon convertible hiking pants. I know some of the opinionated people here think that standard-issue convertible hiking pants are unsuitable - but you'll see a lot of the rest of us wearing them. Different hiking styles, I think, rather than ignorance.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Has anyone had any experience with the Academy Sports Magellan Outdoors Convertible Pant at about $25?

Columbia silver ridge's are pretty sweet, if you never want to zip-off

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyes View Post
    Columbia silver ridge's are pretty sweet, if you never want to zip-off
    I have the convertibles and worth the $30 on sale price. But they use a nylon belt and have no draw string. They are heavier than the Aruba II style. I also don't like that the back pocket is not zippered to secure money or wallet. If the Silver Ridge used some of the Aruba features, it could be number one versus number 3 in my opinion.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

I recently bought a pair of Duluth Trading Co Dry on the Fly pants, fit is great , I'm 6'2" 250 Ath build , if you can get them on sale worth every penny. They do not have zip off legs. Plenty of room in the crouch and legs. They are even nice enough to wear to work.

Really hard to go wrong with North Face PARAMOUNT TRAIL CONVERTIBLE PANTS @$70 full price.
    Found my first set on sale at half price and I see several places online at $49 currently.

Being a mountain biker I have several sets of two piece leg warmers which when added under the Trail pants will extend their use down to freezing temps while still allowing you to stay comfy at moderate temps by using various combos. I'm especially fond of wearing the warmers with the lowers off the pants in cooler weather and like that its easy to make adjustments to compensate for sun and shade, wind etc and maintain that perfect temp.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++