WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Men's Hiking Pants

I need a recommendation for a pair of hiking pants for a young man with a very athletic build. They're for use in Maine in the fall.

What do you recommend and why? Thanks.

P.S. I'm not made of $
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

You want zip offs? Try TNF or REI. White Sierra makes some that are pretty light weight, but can say they arent as durable as the supplex nylon in my TNF hiking pants.

everything else I have experience with is kinda pricey...RailRiders and Patagucci

I tried REI....they had nothing that looked like what I wanted, but then I'm not sure what I'm looking for. What makes a good pair of pants for men? Probably not the same things I'd look for for myself. Yes, zip-offs I think for all the fordings.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Journal Entries
    Images

I went to Active Endeavors and talked with a sales person that has hiked a lot. He uses Kuel (?) pants. I bought one and liked it a lot: lite weight, strong, quick drying (I'm a sweater): I bought 2 more. Also got some patagonia shorts.
    However​, none of it was cheap. If you are not in a hurry try sales in the off season??
    "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
    - Groucho Marx

WhiteBlaze.net HammockForums.net Click''s Trail Journal

For me, has to fit in the waist and the zip offs have to be above the knee. Its not a problem, because I have long legs, but shorter people have complained about the zipper hitting them on the knees. Have to have enough room for my the family jewels to move freely, but the crotch can't be so long that it impedes walking. I like cargo pockets for snacks and/or trash.

by "athletic build" do you mean large thighs and a small waist? I find the REI pants fit that bill. I would try to have him try on a pair to determine fit for a couple of brands then start scouring ebay. I have found some great deals on ebay where someone has worn something a couple of times.
    Last edited by Alligator; 08-20-2017 at 19:37. Reason: Referenced post removed.

Images

Check out Sierra Trading: https://www.sierratradingpost.com/me...s!convertible/

Convertible Hiking pants from $19.99 to $49.99

RailRiders has their Zip-Off pants on sale for $49.50: https://www.railriders.com/men-zion-...?cPath=104_110

Both sites plus shipping etc...

My favorite pants so far are EMS Rumney pants. They cost 50$ and have stretch nylon. I'm leaner and athletic and many other brands are baggy and unflattering. In the Summer I use montbell Dynamo wind pants which end up in the pack most of the day as I'm wearing shorts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by glenlawson View Post
    by "athletic build" do you mean large thighs and a small waist? I find the REI pants fit that bill. I would try to have him try on a pair to determine fit for a couple of brands then start scouring ebay. I have found some great deals on ebay where someone has worn something a couple of times.

Yes, basically as you describe (in regards to the physique only). When I did the "category" search at REI none of their products popped up, but I'll try again. I'm a fan of REI brands in general.
    Last edited by Alligator; 08-20-2017 at 19:37. Reason: Referenced post removed.

I love my Kühl renegade pants. They're waterproof, have some gentle stretch and fit nicely. They're not as cheap as I would like ($90/pair) but they hold up well, and are thick enough for cooler weather comfort, easily vented for warmer weather and easy to zip off with shoes on. They also, unlike most brands I have found, can be bought like regular pants. No small medium large. If you wear a 28x32, you can buy a 28x32. If you wear a 42x30, you can get that. I can't say enough good about them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Heliotrope View Post
    My favorite pants so far are EMS Rumney pants. They cost 50$ and have stretch nylon. I'm leaner and athletic and many other brands are baggy and unflattering. In the Summer I use montbell Dynamo wind pants which end up in the pack most of the day as I'm wearing shorts.

Thank you! I went on the EMS website and there are some very promising options....all on sale!

Quote Originally Posted by glenlawson View Post

and I think "young man" and "too lazy to do their own research" are synonyms so I'll go with the former.

I have the large thighs but not the small waist. The REI pants worked well enough for me that I got the insectsheild treatment for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    Thank you! I went on the EMS website and there are some very promising options....all on sale!
    Sweet!

Prana Stretch Zion are THE most comfortable hiking pants iv ever owned and ill never look back. Snaps to roll for fording or to cool off. Vents on the inseam. light weight and breathable.

Look around and you'll find them on sale..... but they are legit.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntmog View Post
    Prana Stretch Zion are THE most comfortable hiking pants iv ever owned and ill never look back. Snaps to roll for fording or to cool off. Vents on the inseam. light weight and breathable.

I will certainly look for them. Comfort is of the utmost important.

+1 on the Prana Zion pants. I have both the regular and convertible. My only quibble is that I wish the convertible shorts were cut a little higher. The seam ends right at my knee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

First Ascent make decent pants

Product InformationExtremely versatile, these durable trousers are an essential piece of gear for any hiking trip, be it in the berg or the bush. Convert them into shorts by simply zipping off the trouser leg, or just zip them halfway for some extra ventilation.

• Quick drying, wicking, UV resistant fabric
    • Adjustible belt
    • Zip-off convertible legs
    • 9 Secure multi purpose storage pockets

download.jpg

Nylon jogging pants $10 at Walmart.

I wear Columbia pants. They have the zip-off legs, Velcro and zippered pockets, the shell is 100% nylon and the lining is 100% polyester. But the feature I like the most is the elastic waist band (they also have belt loops for a belt). I tend to lose a lot of weight when hiking, so the elastic waist band is a great feature. The pants dry fast. I have the darker color, so the pants don't show dirt as readily as a lighter shade. I bought two pair at a Columbia outlet store for less than $50 each.

I've worn the Columbia pants over a 1,000 miles of hiking on the AT.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Default Prana Stretch Zion

Agreed; they are the best long hiking pants I've ever owned. In warmer weather though, some good running shorts (Brooks, REI, it doesn't matter) are far better than any covert blessed or "hiking shorts".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++