My boyfriend and I are planning on heading out to the AT for a section hike in early/mid October. The question is...where to go! We'll be traveling via car from South-central Wisconsin. Here's our criteria:

1. We're looking for somewhere around 75-100 miles/5-6 days. 15mpd sounds about right.

2. I'm a wuss and I don't want to be cold on my vacation. So I'm ruling out the New England area for that reason. Plus it would be a longer drive than the Southern part.

3. Some sort of varied terrain would be nice, not just hiking through the green tunnel. Obviously pretty vistas, etc, are good. I know the green tunnel can't be avoided, but we don't want to be entirely closed in the woods for the whole time.

4. Solitude on the AT is probably a laugh, but less people is always better. We'll be hiking Sunday-Friday, so I'm hoping with it being during the week, that will help with wherever we are.

I've never been on the AT, but I've read a zillion trail journals over the years to have some ideas. Right now my tentative idea is to drive to Damascus, VA, take a shuttle out to Atkins, and hike back to Damascus. That's about 75 miles and will include Grayson Highlands and ponies. I also thought about doing the whole Georgia section. Any other ideas or thoughts to sway me one way or the other? Definitely open to hearing about other sections too.