WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by PatmanTN View Post
    I have no experience with HMG but individual physiology plays a role in addition to vertical fit. After years of trying them out and watching the technology evolve, I still find very few ultralight packs comfortable with any weight at all. Some are tolerable, but honestly, I've yet to find one truly comfortable (still looking and trying). Musculature and back shape are a factor. For example any pronounced lumbar support makes me hurt (same for the pads people sometimes put in their office chairs); I have a pretty flat lower back. I would not suffer to achieve some arbitrary weight goal. If one or two more pounds in pack weight is what it takes to not hurt then so be it.
    Amen Brother! The same is true for my sleep system.
    Weight? Don't know. Don't care.
    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it.", he said packing his 42 year old backpack.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    IMHO, measuring your torso length is useless. The only way to fit the pack is to try it on.

Buckle the waist belt, then make sure the shoulder straps do NOT wrap over the shoulders.

Again, IMHO, the shoulder straps should not curve over downward, but straight (level, horizontally) to the pack. That will ensure there is no weight on the shoulders.
    Well, I was out hiking with it for 3 days. 34 pounds, including full supply of water. If I tighten the straps, I get weight on the shoulders. Loosen it, and I think the belt is lower than it should be, and bottom of pack seems to be resting on my tailbone. Maybe I just haven't found the sweet spot yet.

Jeff,
    Since you told me about your strap problems, I have paid close attention to the straps on my packs. I swear I can shorten or lengthen the straps 1/16"-1/8" at a time. No, I can't see the ladderlock buckles they are at my side below my armpits. I can adjust by feeling the webbing move with my thumb.
    When you tell me that you have to remove the pack, adjust the straps, put on the pack back and hope you got it right, my only thought is "Something is broken."
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Jeff,
    Since you told me about your strap problems, I have paid close attention to the straps on my packs. I swear I can shorten or lengthen the straps 1/16"-1/8" at a time. No, I can't see the ladderlock buckles they are at my side below my armpits. I can adjust by feeling the webbing move with my thumb.
    When you tell me that you have to remove the pack, adjust the straps, put on the pack back and hope you got it right, my only thought is "Something is broken."
    Wayne

Nothing is broken, Wayne. It's just that I can't easily open the buckle with the webbing tight.with all the weight in the pack. If I'm sitting on a rock the right shape where I can rest the pack on it, so as to create a little slack, then I'm fine.

Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    Nothing is broken, Wayne. It's just that I can't easily open the buckle with the webbing tight.with all the weight in the pack. If I'm sitting on a rock the right shape where I can rest the pack on it, so as to create a little slack, then I'm fine.
    Sorry Jeff. I've had more weight in a heavier pack than yours and no trouble working for straps. All 8 or 11 of them.
    Let me know how the Robert Redford REI pack works.
    Wayne

Bill Murray was right.
    "It just doesn't matter."
    Just get out there and go.
    Backpacker on the PCT. Zoom in.

Have fun!
    Wayne

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++