WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Journal Entries
    Images

I hiked this section in May, and it was a great time. You'll love Grayson Highlands. Two most suprising things on that section of the trail: First, the ponies are NOT confined to GH, you'll start seeing them well before. Second was the grazing bands of longhorns. I'm from Indiana, and when you see a bull, the hair sort of stands up on the back of your neck. I was unafraid of the ponies, but when I got to the cattle, I stood there for a couple minutes thinking "I'm gonna get gored!" but then reality set in and I thought "how many hikers walk right through here every day? I've never heard of anyone getting gored. So I started down the path, and the cattle just parted for me like the Red Sea. Fun memory.

Yes, ponies and horseback riders and hikers and long horn cattle---the Mt Rogers backcountry is what I call a Mammal Effluvia Zone. Puked my guts out repeatedly all night by my tent near Elk Garden in 1984 after drinking some bad water w/o treating. Always treat your water in the crest zone!!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gdmercad View Post
    Any information on water sources on this hike?
    I just finished up a short section hike last week, October 13th. Damascus to Grayson Highlands State Park. (30+ mi.). Water is flowing!

There is an awesome piped stream after summiting Whitetop Mountain and before crossing USFS 89 / Whitetop Road. It's clearly marked by a sign. Just 50' off the trail.

Journal Entries

I'm back!

Looking to continue my section hike starting from where I left off last October - Grayson Highlands State Park. I'm looking to do a 4 1/2 day hike out of Grayson. I would appreciate any suggestions for car shuttle and safe location to park my car so that I may hike to it. Any suggestions on shelters, places to replenish food supplies, etc. would be greatly appreciated too!

Also, I'm interested in water availability in the area. We have had one of the driest Octobers on record here in the Midwest and thinking it may be an issue on the trail.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Bluebird View Post
    I'm back!

Looking to continue my section hike starting from where I left off last October - Grayson Highlands State Park. I'm looking to do a 4 1/2 day hike out of Grayson. I would appreciate any suggestions for car shuttle and safe location to park my car so that I may hike to it. Any suggestions on shelters, places to replenish food supplies, etc. would be greatly appreciated too!

Also, I'm interested in water availability in the area. We have had one of the driest Octobers on record here in the Midwest and thinking it may be an issue on the trail.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    NOBO or SOBO? water availability is good right now in this area. i can help with shuttling

Journal Entries

Northbound! Looking to leave car north of hike.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    (Also, too, you should stop at the Creeper Trail Cafe in Taylor's Valley along this stretch, they are only open 11-5 but worth the stop for a burger and some ice cream if you time it right.)
    BigCranky, there is a lot of excellent information in your post. But one heads up: the Creeper Trail Cafe is now permanently closed. They recently had some unfortunate incidents, including another trail-oriented business stealing two of their picnic tables.

I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.

~John Muir

Images

Quote Originally Posted by wyclif View Post
    BigCranky, there is a lot of excellent information in your post. But one heads up: the Creeper Trail Cafe is now permanently closed. They recently had some unfortunate incidents, including another trail-oriented business stealing two of their picnic tables.
    Thanks, I had seen that and noted it in the Companion for next year. Too bad, I had some great meals there on my hikes in the area.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Thanks, I had seen that and noted it in the Companion for next year. Too bad, I had some great meals there on my hikes in the area.
    but there's a new place in the valley called Hellbenders Cafe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++