WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Your cheap toaks might be the best option for what you want to do, but season it. Toaks has a rougher finish which is what one needs to season it. Other then that there is this double Ti cooker which can be used as a pressure cooker with the right adapter which may be what you are looking for.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DownEaster View Post
    Emphasis added. However, is it really necessary to explain why I just want information about nonstick titanium cookware, when I explicitly asked for help about nonstick titanium cookware, in a thread I labeled "Nonstick titanium cookware"?
    I guess you missed by post above:

Downeaster...here's how you could have handled this:

Thanks for the reply QiWiz, but I want to avoid adding cooking oils or other non-stick spray methods because I don't like the way it changes the taste of my food, which is really important to me. My main goals are to lighten my cook kit with something in titanium that offers the benefits of non-stick coatings, but one that is better than the cheap Toaks offerings that are on the market. Thanks again though.

Images

I have been on the same search as you DownEaster, to have a pot I can actually cook in without the risk of burning my food, I am a very attentive cook and haven't burned anything in over 30 years, until I turned away from my Evernew 1.3L Non stick pot for a minute or less, it burned that quickly on the lowest setting with my Snow Peak Ti-Lite stove, I resigned myself to buying an MSR 1.3L Anodized Aluminum Quick Pot and upon my search found that MSR had a new MSR Ceramic 1.3L Pot so I bought that instead, I only tested it once but it did not burn a rice side while I completely ignored it, my Evernew weighs 5.8 oz. and the MSR Ceramic weighs 7.4 oz., In my case, I've decided to carry the extra ounces since it does not affect my 15 to 17 lb. base weight too much, I tried the cozy option that so many prefer but my rice side was still chewy after minutes in the cozy, I prefer my food to be fully cooked and tender instead of chewy, but to each his own.
    This may not answer your question but hope it helps, FWIW, IMHO, HYOH, LOL!!!!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Wildman View Post
    I have been on the same search as you DownEaster, to have a pot I can actually cook in without the risk of burning my food, I am a very attentive cook and haven't burned anything in over 30 years, until I turned away from my Evernew 1.3L Non stick pot for a minute or less, it burned that quickly on the lowest setting with my Snow Peak Ti-Lite stove, I resigned myself to buying an MSR 1.3L Anodized Aluminum Quick Pot and upon my search found that MSR had a new MSR Ceramic 1.3L Pot so I bought that instead, I only tested it once but it did not burn a rice side while I completely ignored it, my Evernew weighs 5.8 oz. and the MSR Ceramic weighs 7.4 oz., In my case, I've decided to carry the extra ounces since it does not affect my 15 to 17 lb. base weight too much, I tried the cozy option that so many prefer but my rice side was still chewy after minutes in the cozy, I prefer my food to be fully cooked and tender instead of chewy, but to each his own.
    This may not answer your question but hope it helps, FWIW, IMHO, HYOH, LOL!!!!!
    I meant to say 20 minutes in the cozy in my above comment.
    Last edited by Farr Away; 08-10-2017 at 21:37. Reason: fixed quote

You still haven't caught on. I want nonstick cookware because it keeps food from burning and sticking without ruining the flavor of pancakes and other tasty food the way adding oil does. You and others insisting that I have to ruin my food because saving weight is more important than taste is just frustrating the heck out of me.
    Do you cook at home? Have you cooked pancakes without oil in a non stick pan on your stove at home? My experience is that even non stick cookware does better with some oil or butter. Titanium cookware is much thinner than aluminum cookware and that is the reason it is more likely to burn than aluminum. I cook with an Evernew non stick 0.9 L pot on an alcohol stove without burning problems. You must watch it carefully and be very attentive. If that is too much trouble then stay with the cookware you already have and enjoy your pancakes.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    Have you cooked pancakes without oil in a non stick pan on your stove at home?
    Yes; I tried the GSI mess kit frypan on my kitchen's gas cooktop. I've babied this fairly new kit, so the Teflon is in excellent shape. I know it won't last forever, but I'm enjoying it while it does.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob
    My experience is that even non stick cookware does better with some oil or butter.
    Oh, I agree. Ideally I'd have some unsalted butter for making pancakes. Unfortunately, that isn't really practical to bring along backpacking just for pancakes twice a week.

I've read some use a one egg wonder pan with the handle removed.

Thom

Oh, I agree. Ideally I'd have some unsalted butter for making pancakes. Unfortunately, that isn't really practical to bring along backpacking just for pancakes twice a week.

Make your own GHEE with unsalted butter.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Make your own GHEE with unsalted butter.[/COLOR]
    i use grape seed oil for trail popcorn it is flavorless, can stand high heat .

Thom

You can also make your own "scorchbuster" that will diffuse the heat from the stove. All that's needed is the bottom of a large tomato can (or some such) that is about 5" in diameter. Put this on the pot support and use 3 small pebbles to raise the pot bottom above the scorchbuster a few millimeters. Works wonders to reduce burned food.

......... Ideally I'd have some unsalted butter for making pancakes. Unfortunately, that isn't really practical to bring along backpacking just for pancakes twice a week.
    I usually go backpacking in the cooler months and I take butter with me and put it in everything.
    Make your own GHEE with unsalted butter.[/COLOR]
    Here is an easy way to make clarified butter which is similar to ghee.
    http://www.thegraciouswife.com/how-t...the-microwave/
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Images

You can also make your own "scorchbuster" that will diffuse the heat from the stove. All that's needed is the bottom of a large tomato can (or some such) that is about 5" in diameter. Put this on the pot support and use 3 small pebbles to raise the pot bottom above the scorchbuster a few millimeters. Works wonders to reduce burned food.
    I made my own stainless steel mesh "scorchbuster" this morning, going to do some baking hungry.gif

DSCF3672.JPG

Journal Entries

My Grandmother taught me how to cook (to bad she didn't teach my mom) and the first thing she said was "You never have to cook on a high setting, no matter what you are making." This is where as hikers we have a problem. Alcohol stoves are lightweight and burn well enough, but some people have little patience to learn how to use them even though they are easy. Canister stoves are convenient and easy to use, but a majority of them are either all the way on or all the way off, you don't have a choice. Some you can adjust but it is hit or miss. Stoves like the Pocket Rocket fall into this category. Finally we have the fully adjustable stove that people won't use just because it is the heaviest of all the stoves. MSR Dragonfly is an example of this stove. Some people complain and they are right, that they sound like a jet taking off. But if you really want to cook, simmer and make food close to home cooking it is the stove you want.

So Downeaster it may not be the pans you are using, but the stove you are using. Although Zelph I look forward to seeing your results on the scorchbuster.
    Blackheart

OK, so that's nice for you. However, it doesn't help me; I explicitly said I want something that performs as well as my Teflon-coated GSI mess kit.
    I guess what I was trying to communicate is that you do not need a coating to have good performance cooking method. Sorry to have offended.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    I guess what I was trying to communicate is that you do not need a coating to have good performance cooking method. Sorry to have offended.
    I don't know why some people's first reaction is to violate Wheaton's Law.

I violate it sometimes, although usually after trying "nice" first.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    So Downeaster it may not be the pans you are using, but the stove you are using.
    Nope; I've got that (mostly) covered with a Primus OmniLite Ti, which adjusts smoothly throughout a wide range of heat settings. I'm paying for better stove capabilities with extra weight, of course. The only part that I need to fix is the sound, which is reminiscent of a jet engine when I boil water. The replacement silencer head is back-ordered.

ahhhh, okay....the other simple solution is to just grease the pan before getting on the trail = no packing grease, problem solved!

(Thank me later)
    Let's head for the roundhouse; they can't corner us there!

Pancakes cook quickly so another option is to pick up the frypan and move it around over the flame as you cook.

There is no substitute for mass; very thin pans, whether made of Ti or Al, are not going to magically diffuse heat enough to prevent scorching.

Images

This thread has become ridiculous. That is downeaster does not want advice, but magic! At this point I suggest you just stick to boiling water.

Quote Originally Posted by clusterone View Post
    This thread has become ridiculous. That is downeaster does not want advice, but magic! At this point I suggest you just stick to boiling water.
    True this. ^^^^^^^^

And with such a heavy WG stove setup it is bordering on pointless to cut 4 or 5 oz of weight from the cookware, whatever the rationale.

Further, lest that be mistaken for some kind of UL snobbery, it isn't — it is just simple fact when looking at the % difference in cook system weight and especially total pack weight — and the comments I've offered are intended to help the OP use what he's got. I've always said, and I truly feel, that if you want to carry all that stuff it's fine with me.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 08-12-2017 at 09:24.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++