WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default The Ladies of FKT 17? Cindy-Jo

There are currently at least two other FKT's on the AT announced- Any one following or hear any news- feel free to post here.

Catie "Paradox" Olszewski- Supported SOBO early August? paradoxat2017.tumblr.com
    *Nevermind- she posted one update- I checked as I was posting, lol.The trail started with a perfect day on Katahdin earlier this week. To experience Katahdin twice and to have perfect weather and clear skies both times is a blessing. Things went down hill from there. I am currently off trail and called off my hike. Thanks to everyone for there support. Especially those who were planning on helping along the trail. Time to go process my decision and enjoy the company of some of my trail family.
    Happy Trails!
    Catie “Paradox” Olszewski

So one down one to go-

Cindy-jo “Sadego” Dietz- Self-Supported SOBO- facebook.com/cindyjo.dietz

Doesn't appear to have started yet.

My AT FKT World Record Attempt
    Announcement 2017

Hello. My name is Cindy-jo Dietz. I hail from SW Florida, and I am on the FKT pro board to officially state my intention to set a new FKT for self-supported hike on the Appalachian Trail beginning this mid-August, 2017, hopefully completing my trek the following October.

This is actually my second attempt to break the record, and to tell you the truth, I got schooled last year. To spite 18 years of section hiking the Appalachian Trail, at the time I wasn’t as familiar as I am now with the effort it would take to complete such a task, or how to go about properly announcing my intention. Last year I wrote a short blurb on my profile within the FKT site, and primarily recorded the events using Facebook. Since then, I have familiarized myself more with FKT verification and suggested rules, and Heather “Anish” Anderson’s hike, which further sets the latest protocol as to how to properly go about setting the self-supported FKT on the AT.

I have an immense respect for Heather “Anish” Anderson’s record of 54 days, 7 hours, 48 minutes, and must say her time will obviously be quite difficult to surpass. In late April of this year, as per the protocol of FKT, I did contact Heather and let her know of my intentions. She bid me “Good Luck.” I’m going to need it.

Since my first “unofficial” attempt, I have completed a vast amount of more research. I purchased all new gear, reducing my pack weight almost in half. I changed the time of year I decided to attempt the record, from June to August, hopefully helping me to avoid the immense amounts of rain an heat I experienced last year. I will also be traveling south from Maine (2017), instead of heading north from Georgia (2016). Plus, I altered many of the little decisions that held me back in order to facilitate better results when it comes to time and efficiency. I am hoping these efforts and dedication to training, will enhance the miles per day I am able to complete. If I do somehow pull of this great feat, it will be after two years of dedication to learning the art of a true thru-hike and putting into practice that knowledge.

In keeping with Heather “Anish” Anderson’s announced intention (and I’m sure, many of the record holders before her) and the suggested rules stated by FKT, I repeat the rules I intend to live by during the time I am attempting to complete this FKT self-supported record:

1.) At no time will I arrange for or accept pre-planned outside support. The only time where I will accept help will be through random acts of kindness and true “Trail Magic”.

2.) I will carry all of my own gear and supplies. I will not “slackpack” or go “muling”.

3.) I will walk into and out of resupply locations where I will purchase food and/or collect supply boxes that I have sent to myself. When I leave the trail for resupply purposes, I will rejoin the trail at the same location I left, leaving a continuous line of footprints the entire distance.

4.) I will never accept a ride in a vehicle for any reason.

5.) I will follow the Appalachian Trail and official relocations only, no blue blaze or alternate routes.

6.) I will respect the wilderness landscape, the lives that dwell therein, other trail users, and the generations of users that will follow by practicing Leave No Trace Ethics.

7.) I will provide a way for the public to follow my progress at facebook.com/cindyjo.dietz. The posts are an intended way to document my progress only. In NO WAY shall they be an invitation for anyone to help me, find or join me or otherwise take away from the nature of the journey as a thru-hiker.

8.) I will carry a SPOT beacon for safety and to help document my progress. The information will not be made available to the public in real time.

I am truly excited to try to attempt to once again complete the over 2,189 miles of the Appalachian Trail in record time, believing that with effort and determination I will make those that came before me proud. The possibility of lowering this record would be an incredible honor.

Happy Trails!
    - Cindy-jo “Sadego” Dietz

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    There are currently at least two other FKT's on the AT announced- Any one following or hear any news- feel free to post here.

Catie "Paradox" Olszewski- Supported SOBO early August? paradoxat2017.tumblr.com
    *Nevermind- she posted one update- I checked as I was posting, lol.The trail started with a perfect day on Katahdin earlier this week. To experience Katahdin twice and to have perfect weather and clear skies both times is a blessing. Things went down hill from there. I am currently off trail and called off my hike. Thanks to everyone for there support. Especially those who were planning on helping along the trail. Time to go process my decision and enjoy the company of some of my trail family.
    Happy Trails!
    Catie “Paradox” Olszewski

So one down one to go-

Cindy-jo “Sadego” Dietz- Self-Supported SOBO- facebook.com/cindyjo.dietz

Doesn't appear to have started yet.

My AT FKT World Record Attempt
    Announcement 2017

Hello. My name is Cindy-jo Dietz. I hail from SW Florida, and I am on the FKT pro board to officially state my intention to set a new FKT for self-supported hike on the Appalachian Trail beginning this mid-August, 2017, hopefully completing my trek the following October.

This is actually my second attempt to break the record, and to tell you the truth, I got schooled last year. To spite 18 years of section hiking the Appalachian Trail, at the time I wasn’t as familiar as I am now with the effort it would take to complete such a task, or how to go about properly announcing my intention. Last year I wrote a short blurb on my profile within the FKT site, and primarily recorded the events using Facebook. Since then, I have familiarized myself more with FKT verification and suggested rules, and Heather “Anish” Anderson’s hike, which further sets the latest protocol as to how to properly go about setting the self-supported FKT on the AT.

I have an immense respect for Heather “Anish” Anderson’s record of 54 days, 7 hours, 48 minutes, and must say her time will obviously be quite difficult to surpass. In late April of this year, as per the protocol of FKT, I did contact Heather and let her know of my intentions. She bid me “Good Luck.” I’m going to need it.

Since my first “unofficial” attempt, I have completed a vast amount of more research. I purchased all new gear, reducing my pack weight almost in half. I changed the time of year I decided to attempt the record, from June to August, hopefully helping me to avoid the immense amounts of rain an heat I experienced last year. I will also be traveling south from Maine (2017), instead of heading north from Georgia (2016). Plus, I altered many of the little decisions that held me back in order to facilitate better results when it comes to time and efficiency. I am hoping these efforts and dedication to training, will enhance the miles per day I am able to complete. If I do somehow pull of this great feat, it will be after two years of dedication to learning the art of a true thru-hike and putting into practice that knowledge.

In keeping with Heather “Anish” Anderson’s announced intention (and I’m sure, many of the record holders before her) and the suggested rules stated by FKT, I repeat the rules I intend to live by during the time I am attempting to complete this FKT self-supported record:

1.) At no time will I arrange for or accept pre-planned outside support. The only time where I will accept help will be through random acts of kindness and true “Trail Magic”.

2.) I will carry all of my own gear and supplies. I will not “slackpack” or go “muling”.

3.) I will walk into and out of resupply locations where I will purchase food and/or collect supply boxes that I have sent to myself. When I leave the trail for resupply purposes, I will rejoin the trail at the same location I left, leaving a continuous line of footprints the entire distance.

4.) I will never accept a ride in a vehicle for any reason.

5.) I will follow the Appalachian Trail and official relocations only, no blue blaze or alternate routes.

6.) I will respect the wilderness landscape, the lives that dwell therein, other trail users, and the generations of users that will follow by practicing Leave No Trace Ethics.

7.) I will provide a way for the public to follow my progress at facebook.com/cindyjo.dietz. The posts are an intended way to document my progress only. In NO WAY shall they be an invitation for anyone to help me, find or join me or otherwise take away from the nature of the journey as a thru-hiker.

8.) I will carry a SPOT beacon for safety and to help document my progress. The information will not be made available to the public in real time.

I am truly excited to try to attempt to once again complete the over 2,189 miles of the Appalachian Trail in record time, believing that with effort and determination I will make those that came before me proud. The possibility of lowering this record would be an incredible honor.

Happy Trails!
    - Cindy-jo “Sadego” Dietz
    I vaguely remember Sadego's attempt last year... She's got a blog too: http://www.wheredidcindyjogo.com/. According to this post she did 1,121 miles in 60 days last summer.

Good luck Sadego.

++ New Posts ++