WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Food $$$

Journal Entries

I do love summer sausage and cheese on crackers for lunch. Now they have cheese with bacon crackers out.
    Blackheart

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    is it worth running the risk of heart damage that you will live / die with ( when calorie deficit causes the body to consume muscle) to save a few bucks on food
    Gee, I really don't think that's an issue on the AT for most people. (Some people like vegans with highly restrictive diets may have problems resupplying at gas station mini-marts; that's not really a money issue.) There are plenty of opportunities to get calories until you reach the northernmost 100 miles of the trail. Even at mini-mart prices most everybody can occasionally afford some mac & cheese, Ramen noodles, and a bag of Fritos. It's just that people with limited funds can't regularly go for the easiest (and most expensive) resupply, but will often have to walk a couple of extra miles to get to the local Walmart.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    IMO here is the real lurking 600 lb gorilla question:

is it worth running the risk of heart damage that you will live / die with ( when calorie deficit causes the body to consume muscle) to save a few bucks on food

better to do a shorter hike than a longer malnourished one
    How is it that distance runnners are emaciated, but dont have heart problems then?

Junk science and flawed logic, thats how.

I planned for $20/day. This will cover the resupply days in town where you crush 8,000 calories in a sitting at a restaurant. People make it all the way on honey buns and ramen. Can't argue that. I preferred to take a more nutritional approach to calories and made a conscious effort to get as much fiber, vegetables, fruits, etc. I also added electrolytes into my drink mixes. It made a world of difference compared to my 2016 attempt.

-

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    How is it that distance runnners are emaciated, but dont have heart problems then?

Junk science and flawed logic, thats how.
    it is a newly emerging diagnosis, and may end up inconclusive, but yes chronic over exercise and under nourishment are linked to heart stress/ disease - >2 % body fat that was once held up as a model of perfect health may not be

something to be said of the old adage: moderation in all things

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++