WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Leonidas

Default Osprey's new "Super UL" packs

The weight is as I expected, close enough to 2 lbs to still make Zpacks the top contender if you want the max ventilation and UL weight. Also, the non-removable brain is a bad move IMO.

https://www.snewsnet.com/press-relea...or-spring-2018
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

I'm pretty sure Osprey has made packs around that same weight before. Hip belt padding looks light.

What interests me is the new fabric:

"Osprey’s NanoFly™ fabric integrates ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene (UHMWPE) Ripstop and nylon to create an incredibly strong, light fabric with remarkable resistance against water, abrasion and UV rays/chemicals."

Polyethylene is the same thing Dyneema is made from. Almost sounds like it's laminated to a nylon.

No hip belt? Must definitely be for very light loads.

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    No hip belt? Must definitely be for very light loads.
    Yeah, not sure I'd consider anything 20+ to be light enough to go sans belt. Interesting to think about though.
    LEVITY 60/LUMINA 60For the most audacious superultralight excursions and thru hikes
    Weight: 1.83 pounds
    Load Range: 10-30 lb
    Retail: $270
    LEVITY 45/LUMINA 45
    For experienced thru hikers and lightweight overnights
    Weight: 1.76 pounds
    Load Range: 5-25 lb
    Retail: $250
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'

That's still a relatively heavy fabric.

60L SUL pack with no hipbelt... no thanks... maybe for intended for UL winter where you got 30L of feathers packed?

45L 1.76... more interesting.

Exos series with brain removed and some stuff trimmed- probably still the better off the shelf pack. Pretty sure they clock in under 2lbs- with a hipbelt- with a wireframe- with a mesh backpanel.

https://www.rei.com/product/864597/osprey-exos-48-pack

38L for sure clears 2 with brain.
    But 48L sans brain and trimmed up straps is durn close and probably the better pack.

As much as I love cottage vendors (being one myself)- it is still nice to have an off the shelf pack to get someone started with that makes sense to use.
    Get on the trail, see if you like it, learn what you like... then go cottage shopping.

Why are there so many comments about no hip belt? I've seen other posts on this pack and it has a hip belts just no hip belt pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by raysuf View Post
    Why are there so many comments about no hip belt? I've seen other posts on this pack and it has a hip belts just no hip belt pockets.
    Aaaahhh....I assume because the picture doesn't show any?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Aaaahhh....I assume because the picture doesn't show any?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I also did not see any mention of a hip belt in the pack's description.

Yes, . I don't know how that got started.

It is comfortable? Remains to be seen. At about 1:40 in the video the interviewer gives it a tug and it can plainly be seen that the material is stretchy.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 08-11-2017 at 07:47.

Is it really super ultralight ?

Thom

Seems those side pockets might be too big/high up for easy water access, and a brain but no mesh pocket or anything on the back seems weird? if it's going to be that minimal, might as well cut the brain
    But will be good to see more light options on racks in stores!

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    I also did not see any mention of a hip belt in the pack's description.
    Of course it has a hipbelt. Not sure why people are saying otherwise. Like I said in my first post, they are really skimpy though.

295118.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    Is it really super ultralight ?

Thom
    Quote Originally Posted by Hikingjim View Post
    Seems those side pockets might be too big/high up for easy water access, and a brain but no mesh pocket or anything on the back seems weird? if it's going to be that minimal, might as well cut the brain
    I agree on both counts.

Quote Originally Posted by Hikingjim View Post
    It has a pretty big pocket on the back. Not sure if it's mesh, but it's there.

Quote Originally Posted by SWODaddy View Post
    Of course it has a hipbelt. Not sure why people are saying otherwise. Like I said in my first post, they are really skimpy though.

295118.jpg
    The Section Hiker’s email arrived today with a review of the Levity.
    The first paragraph of the review was devoted to a warning that the pack runs small. Order up.
    The hip belt and shoulder straps are not adjustable. There are no pockets on the hip belt.
    Moving right along.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    . . . The hip belt and shoulder straps are not adjustable. There are no pockets on the hip belt.
    Moving right along.
    The Levity is essentially the Exos with an aluminum instead of steel frame, less stretch-mesh on the pockets, and a non-removable brain, probably because most people use the brain and removing the extra lid under the brain that is found on the Exos saves weight and clutter.

The Levity hip belt and shoulder straps are exactly as adjustable as the Exos and most other packs. The torso length, which may be what Venchka was alluding to, is not adjustable, just like it is not on the Exos.

The hip belt appears to be exactly like the new Exos which is actually quite nice for what it is, yes, without pockets so small they aren't useful or so large they get in the way.

And, the wonderfully large side pockets have forward entry (at least on the Exos), so being big does NOT make it hard to get bottles out.

Personally, I would agree with Just Bill that the Exos is likely a more functional options for most people looking for an ultra-light Osprey pack.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Clarity:
    The hip belt is not adjustable vertically.
    The hip belt lacks pockets.
    Fail. To use a disallowed antique word.
    My backpack inventory already includes a hip belt that is adjustable vertically but lacks pockets and a pack with no vertical adjustments anywhere nor hip belt pockets. They fit. They work for me.
    I’ll keep looking.
    Wayne

Looks like they allowed some feature creep on the new exos, and trimmed the old Exos a bit to make the levity.

For an off the shelf, try it in person, return for up to a year at REI... both are respectable options.

I'm a bit confussed by the 60L Levity... who is the target there winter UL?
    They seem to have dropped the 38L EXOS... A 35/45 in the Levity line would have been more appealing to me.

I still think the 48L exos remains the more interesting pack. Take the brain off for a 'luxury' UL pack at around 36 ounces and it appeals more to me than a minimal 45L for 30 ounces.
    Add the brain back on for a longer trip or winter.

Maybe the 38L simply didn't sell, but looks like you can find them for around $120... https://www.amazon.com/Osprey-Packs-...SQ0?th=1&psc=1

It is about 30 ounces with the brain removed... and if you are shopping UL packs you should be shooting for a roughly 40L maximum volume.

I would rather have the stretch mesh over 210 D non-stretch pouches... or I'd rather see Osprey just whack them off and get closer to a pound.

A SUL airframe pack with a minimal pack body design would have been nice.
    A 25 ounce 35L pack with that suspension would have been a clear competitor to the Arc series...

My personal opinion overall... looks like they dumbed down and potentially ruined the Exos series to introduce the Levity.
    They didn't go far enough with the Levity to make it better than the last Exos.

So as Wayne said... Fail?

Guess I'd reserve judgment until seeing them in person but looking that way.

Leonidas

I wonder how hard it would be to swap out the steel frame of my Exos 48L for a carbon fiber frame??? I trimmed all unneeded straps and the brain and have considered cutting out the hydration bladder compartment as well but not sure it is worth it. 35.57 oz for a Medium, unfortunately my back still gets hot even in 40* weather...
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++