WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Just Bill,
    Once again my fingers can’t keep up with my brain.
    “Fail” should only be in the context of my own personal needs.
    Meaning that the Levity’s shortcomings are already present in my current inventory.
    Cheers!
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    I wonder how hard it would be to swap out the steel frame of my Exos 48L for a carbon fiber frame??? I trimmed all unneeded straps and the brain and have considered cutting out the hydration bladder compartment as well but not sure it is worth it. 35.57 oz for a Medium, unfortunately my back still gets hot even in 40* weather...
    It's the fabric choices I think more than anything... not the frame.

And I agree... at some point I get hot either way so lighter the load the better. The only trick that reliably works is being light enough to carry on one shoulder here and there to cool off.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Just Bill,
    Once again my fingers can’t keep up with my brain.
    “Fail” should only be in the context of my own personal needs.
    Meaning that the Levity’s shortcomings are already present in my current inventory.
    Cheers!
    Wayne
    Don't worry young man, you used the word in today's proper context.

I'd call it a 'fail' but not having seen them in person don't let me push anyone.

The goal was a truly UL pack from Osprey...
    To me, looks like some poor materials choices and sizing in the Levity series.
    Looks like they may have diluted the previously very good Exos series a bit in the process of redifining the overall lineup. The Exos was a pretty capable UL pack for a mainstream vendor... and despite my enjoyment of cottage gear at the end of the day it's hard to argue with being able to roll into an REI or similar and try a pack on in person. Despite the gains cottage vendors have made Osprey outsells all of them combined for good reasons...

So I would call it a 'fail' on the new lineup for LD hiking needs based upon what I see thus far.
    Too bad... I had some high hopes for this one.

It's no longer the case that you HAVE to buy cottage stuff to get going and even if you move past REI gear... you can put together a kit most of us would have been proud of 10 years ago off the shelf these days. I think having quality entry or mid level gear you can buy in person only means more folks get out and enjoy the woods, which is good for all of us in the long run.

Kudos to Wayne for, "Fail” should only be in the context of my own personal needs.*

Confusing thread with personally imposing definitions of UL and SUL on an Osprey Pack that is the lightest for Osprey in these volumes with these features and level of durability market targeted for more than the US consumer. Osprey packs are sold globally with distribution networks and retail exposure in more than 60 countries that likely surpass the US cottage backpacking gear manufacturing base combined. Considering the Osprey Levity and Lumina are spring 2018 releases yet a fail is being assigned is premature.

The Osprey Levity and Lumina, in the different volumes, can surely be considered international UL and SUL contenders, despite the marketing hype. With these pack attributes it applies to the US market as well but perhaps not individually or in some UL or SUL circle jerks.

What adds to confusion is the often espoused notion that UL and SUL always have to be comparitvely based on the wt alone or perhaps the volume. Only the lightest wt are truly SUL is the prevailing theory There can be a 60L SUL pack. There can be a validly claimed 60L SUL pack that weighs more than another for the environments and goals it's aimed just as there are UL packs and gear made by such companies as HMG that aren't the most UL across all possible UL category comparisons but none the less is UL.

From my understanding and reading other reviews on these packs the hip belt isn't nearly as supportive as a proper hip belt should be, even for an UL pack. I actually put my hands on one in Canada and didn't care much for it. While I love my Arc Haul I did fork out some money for the 2017 Exos as a spare pack before they disappeared completely

No real debate from me, just had some hopes that Osprey would push themselves a bit further on this one and follow up on the strides with the Exos series.

210D spectra reinforced fabric is quite durable... but a bit overbuilt for it's intended purpose. Several pack makers (including HMG and GG) use 120D or 150D versions of that fabric quite well. I don't think the guarantee would have been in any danger with that choice at all. They use 100d fabric on the Exos for example.

"If you're a maniacal gram counter who's tired of carrying a bag of pain, check out the Levity"

https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product...ITY45_577.html
    "The Osprey Levity 45 is the most comfortable and ventilated pack ever made for the lightest loads imaginable. It's perfect for streamlined weekends or committing thruhikes. In fact it's probably not the right pack for you. It's for people who pack lighter, go further, and think smarter. This pack isn't on Instagram, because phones are too heavy, and views look better in your mind anyway. But if you are one of those maniacal gram-counters, look no further. Backed by our All Mighty Guarantee, forever."

Any of that marketing mumbo jumbo sound familiar? Maybe Coup gave up on My Trail and is writing copy for Osprey now.
    Osprey is a great company, but they set the marketing and design goals for this product and it doesn't look like they achieved them. Simple as that.
    I have an Exos and think it's a great pack, same with my Talon 22. I was anticipating a stripped down and lightened up version of those models but doesn't look like that happened. Osprey remains the most popular pack on the trail for long distance hiking and they appeared to be embracing that and pushing deeper. Last year's Exos was a real breakthrough in a commercial pack IMO, I'm a bit disappointed as it looked like they would build on that momentum with this new series.

This isn't some broader debate, this is a pack that is labeled 'SuperUltralight Backpacking' by Osprey... an established trail/LD hiking pack. Not an ultralight western high elevation winter elk hunting pack like HMG might produce. Nor some high volume food carrier for deep off trail travel. Call it the designer in me declaring the fail if you prefer. Osprey laid down some pretty clear design goals, not me.

I'm sure Osprey will be just fine though, lol.

And couldn't agree with you more- weight or volume don't specifically define anything.
    I carry the 6+ pound Osprey Poco Plus at the core of my SUL me and a kiddo kit.

I use the Exos for casual weekend trips... I don't see that this Levity series would displace any packs or that it falls into the category they chose to assign it to.

I was incorrect about one thing... there is still a 38L Exos... just isn't on REI site yet. https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product...38S18_569.html
    If somebody asked me about that vs the 45L Levity... I'd say to get the 38L Exos.
    The Levity simply isn't worth the few ounces of savings compared to what you are losing.

Heck... the Talon Series is still a sharp pack and the 33L at just under 2lbs is still a pretty sweet pack even without the AirFrame.
    https://www.osprey.com/ec/en/product...LON33_754.html

Osprey already has a very diverse UL lineup of packs. I do not see that the Levity has pushed anything into SUL territory.

You are not the only one who sends me PM's that I reply to in the open forum to encourage open discussion.
    Asked for or not- it is just my opinion and it is still 'sight unseen' as mentioned. Though seems fair if I can eyeball sleeping gear or puffy jackets... I can do the same for a pack.

I went Osprey for my new pack, haven't purchased one in years (decades, actually) and went with "shopping accessibility" so I could check fit. I'm pretty stout, so getting the absolute lightest option wasn't critical at this point. I'm also a stickler when it comes to back sweat, and the AG suspension on the Atmos helps significantly in that respect.

My wife wants a pack now, but we're waiting until she can try various UL packs before making a decision. If I can shave a pound (or more) off by putting her in a cottage pack vs. a COTS pack then it will be well worth the added expense.

Quote Originally Posted by KCNC View Post
    I went Osprey for my new pack, haven't purchased one in years (decades, actually) and went with "shopping accessibility" so I could check fit. I'm pretty stout, so getting the absolute lightest option wasn't critical at this point. I'm also a stickler when it comes to back sweat, and the AG suspension on the Atmos helps significantly in that respect.

My wife wants a pack now, but we're waiting until she can try various UL packs before making a decision. If I can shave a pound (or more) off by putting her in a cottage pack vs. a COTS pack then it will be well worth the added expense.
    Despite my attempts... my wife went for the Aura AG last year.

She does have diastasis recti (ab separation from pregnancy) and if Osprey does anything better than anyone it's build a full suspension pack.
    When one doesn't have an Internal Suspension (ab and core muscles) then an external suspension on the pack is quite critical and worth the pound or two.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++