WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: tents???

Default tents???

There are two tent options that I am looking at. SMD Lunar Solo and the Big Agnus Fly Creek HV UL 2. I really would prefer a trekking poles style tent like the SMD. I am a college student who doesn't have a lot of money. Example I can't afford the Zpacks Duplex which is my top option. Any suggestions are welcome.

Garlic
    Images

I've come to enjoy the simplicity (and low cost) of a single-wall tent without tent poles.

Tarptent has a good reputation and good line of products, too.

Check out TarpTent for sure. I have a Notch and used it until I got my Duplex. Love both.

I just picked up a Nemo hornet 2P. Under 2lbs and has double side entry. I purchased for trips with my gf. I went with this over the fly creek after much research.

If money is tight you might consider Ray Jardine's tarp and net tent kits. On solo trips I use this set up. You can use hiking poles (or not) to set up the tarp . I leave the net tent home when bugs are few. Total cost is around $160

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leonidas

After handling a couple SMD tents, they seem very close to the Zpacks tents. The obvious difference being the materials used. I personally would use the SMD over the BA unless you want semi-freestanding. The SMD's can be had fairly cheap when they have the sil-nylon available and they come up used on here fairly often.

YMMV
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Images

Look at LightHeartGear tents too.

Follow WhiteBlaze Gear For Sale like a hawk.
    Place your own Want To Buy Gear request at WhiteBlaze.
    I too am a very pleased and satisfied TarpTent StratoSpire 1 owner.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I personally do not like the style of the Fly Creek... I don't like the 'feel' of sliding into a tent the way you have to slide into a sleeping bag. So if you want a "classic" tent, I would suggest the Copper Spur over the Fly Creek.

I recently started thinking about a new tent should I try to take my son on a JMT thru hike in the future. I've considered the Copper Spur UL3 as I've loved my Copper Spur UL2 as a 1-man tent. But when I started looking for cheaper alternatives, I quickly started giving TarpTent a serious look.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    I personally do not like the style of the Fly Creek... I don't like the 'feel' of sliding into a tent the way you have to slide into a sleeping bag.
    I've come to the conclusion that I'm not claustrophobic. I've got a snug mummy bag (left zip), an inner silk liner (no zip) and an SOL Escape bivvy outer liner (right zip) for more severe cold. (Just getting into bed provides nightly limbering-up exercises. ) Compared to that, sliding into the head end of a 2-person tent is free and easy.

But yes, if you don't like being closed in, I can see how this style of tent wouldn't be comfortable. It's too bad the Sierra Designs Flashlight 2 FL tent isn't on sale any longer. A few months ago it was $170. This tent uses 2 trekking poles and opens on both sides: it's well-ventilated and well-suited to those who prefer to be unrestricted.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

If I'm understanding the OP correctly, one of the choices is a Fly Creek UL2 for use as a 1 person tent. If that's the case, I don't think that will be claustrophobic.

My point was that I simply don't like a "head" entry tent and much prefer a side entry tent.

I did NOT buy a Copper Spur UL1 because it did seem like such a tiny tent even though it is a side entry tent. But for a JMT solo thru, the Copper Spur UL2 was awesome.

I recently spent 9 nights in my Fly Creek UL2 HV, It served me well including a few moderate showers and rain. However my companions had side-load Nemo Hornet tents. I also think the side load style would be more comfortable to enter and not drag dirt into the entrance area, Also they have two vestibules. I got the Fly Creek for $150 so cost was a factor.

I started with a single-wall, trekking-pole supported Tarptent Sublite Sil. I had used the tent for several years in the arid Rockies and it was great. The AT prefers a double-wall tent though, so after a month I sent the Sublite home and bought a Big Agnes Copper spur UL1. Much better.

if you can pull it down after rain, only the fly gets wet, and the Fly Creek is 1 lb 15oz, keeping bugs and critters out: so far so good after 165 miles on the Long Trail, but used it only a handful of times in 21 days, between Canada/VT border and Maine Junction: still, it is roomy and dry.

++ New Posts ++