WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Gear/Clothing/Food Photos

Took a few photos while organizing & packing up last night, thought I'd share- so excited to hit the trail!!
    *not pictured: Osprey Exos 58 pack and Big Agnes Rattlesnake tent

IMG_8625.JPG

IMG_8635.JPG

IMG_8633.JPG

Looking good!

Images

Oh, man, brings back some memories. Hope you have a great hike.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Are those Xero sandals? I'm starting to think that my flip-flops with the duct tape heel strap probably aren't going to last a month, and the Xeros look like they might be worth the investment.

First off, I'm a guy, not a chick. It looks to me like you have a lot of clothes.

As a guy, I can't identify all the clothing in the pictures you have attached, but it looks like you might have three shirts rather than two (ie, one dirty, smelly shirt for hiking, and one clean-ish shirt for sleeping).

It looks like you might have three pairs of underwear, but I can't really tell. Maybe one is a bra? I'd say that one pair of underwear is adequate.

It looks like you might have both a puffy jacket and a soft-shell. Probably either one or the other is enough.

Are the pants convertible pants? That's my preference. I like shorts most of the time, and I like legs once in a while...

I didn't identify any rain gear, but you should have some.

Sorry for being a clueless guy.

We have a lot of the same tastes. Have a great trip!!!

I think it's 2 pairs of underwear, 2 shorts, 1 pair of either boyshorts or leggings, and 1 long pair of pants. Maybe those are rainpants? And 1 sports bra. Not sure if the Arcteryx is another shirt or another pair of pants. There are some things that might not be necessary, especially if the shorts have a built-in liner, but at least it's small stuff that won't be taking up too much space or weight.

I would love to know if you have a hack for packing your food so that the pop-tarts and krispy-sticks don't get crushed up. If I brought pop-tarts on a multiday trip I'd have to be licking them off the wrapper by day 2!

adesbonnet, how much does your food sack weigh? Looks like good stuff. I hope you have a great hike!
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Quote Originally Posted by StubbleJumper View Post
    I'd say that one pair of underwear is adequate.
    Opinions differ here. I carry 2 pairs of underwear, 2 pairs of hiking socks, and 2 t-shirts so I have one of each to wear while the other dries on the back of my pack after hand washing. I go through about an ounce of Dr. Bronner's soap a week. I think it's a good practice to strip down when you're at the end of a day of hiking and scrub up while you're still warm from the exertion, then change into your sleeping/camp clothes when you're clean. (Adherence to this practice is dependent on weather: warm and wet yes, cold and wet usually no.) I really don't want to deal with preventable infections or rashes so I make sure my feet and inner thighs/crotch are clean of all the day's hiking funk. (Underarms get the same level of attention not because of infection concern but simply because my nose works. )

Images

are u freezer bag cooking? i notice the meals in ziplocs. im trying to reduce my food bag volume for longer trips and never and i mean never finish a whole mountain house for dinner when going solo even after a long day. i've heard a lot about that and trying to consider if its viable for me. i dont really cook in my ti pot ever just heat up water...cause i dont wanna scrub it each night. but doing in bags i could split each meal in two and save space and money... if you are doing meals that way, any advice?
    Doin' the trail one section at a time
    You can read about my adventures at
    http://happyonthetrails.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by linus72 View Post
    are u freezer bag cooking? i notice the meals in ziplocs. im trying to reduce my food bag volume for longer trips and never and i mean never finish a whole mountain house for dinner when going solo even after a long day. i've heard a lot about that and trying to consider if its viable for me. i dont really cook in my ti pot ever just heat up water...cause i dont wanna scrub it each night. but doing in bags i could split each meal in two and save space and money... if you are doing meals that way, any advice?
    I cook in Ziplock freezer bags (not the regular bags). I just boil water and pour it into the Ziplock. It works great. Right now, I just use them for oatmeal, but I'm thinking forward to next year's hike. I'll probably buy Mountain House cans of freeze dried food and portion them out into Ziplock freezer bags. The Mountain House canned freeze dried food will be cheaper per meal and there tends to be more sales on the cans than the pouches, which is what I get now for my dinners.

Test it out for yourself, but using Ziplock freezer bags works just fine for me.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Quote Originally Posted by lumba View Post
    I think it's 2 pairs of underwear, 2 shorts, 1 pair of either boyshorts or leggings, and 1 long pair of pants. Maybe those are rainpants? And 1 sports bra. Not sure if the Arcteryx is another shirt or another pair of pants. There are some things that might not be necessary, especially if the shorts have a built-in liner, but at least it's small stuff that won't be taking up too much space or weight.

I would love to know if you have a hack for packing your food so that the pop-tarts and krispy-sticks don't get crushed up. If I brought pop-tarts on a multiday trip I'd have to be licking them off the wrapper by day 2!
    I've kept the pop tarts in the original boxes to prevent them from turning to dust...works well and use box as fire starter when done...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pop tarts and cheese, I sually eat pretty early during my hike after resupply.

Too many clothes. You will learn to tolerate your funk to some degree. My gf, after a 10 day hike, decided that about five days is as long as she is willing to go without a shower. She takes two pair of underwear so she can keep one pair clean and drying while shes hiking. As far as i can tell, one sports bra. Set of base layers to sleep in. Rain gear, extra pair of socks. Clothing is heavy. Bettr off not carrying it.

[QUOTE=lumba;2166579

I would love to know if you have a hack for packing your food so that the pop-tarts and krispy-sticks don't get crushed up. If I brought pop-tarts on a multiday trip I'd have to be licking them off the wrapper by day 2![/QUOTE]

Very true... by day four they are still pretty tasty, even when licked off the wrapper.....

Have a great trip! Report back how it goes!

Here's my journal from my LT hike last year in case you need something to help put you to sleep: http://www.trailjournals.com/somers515
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by lumba View Post
    A bear canister does the trick, and sooner or later, you'll need one. Until then - Utz pretzel jugs (and you get to eat the pretzels, too)

++ New Posts ++