WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by raggydoo View Post
    Zpacks Arc Haul is $299 and qualifies for free shipping, that's less than $300.
    You neglected to mention that add-ons to this pack can cost more than the pack itself. Just sayin. I looked at that one pretty tough, but once I had added a few of the extras, I was at $400+.
    zig-zag man

There is no such thing as free.

With the advent of trash compactor bags INSIDE your backpack, very few people feel a need for a pack cover.
    If you MUST have a cover, Walmart sells a 40 to 70 liter pack cover that weighs 4 ounces & sells for under $5.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Pack covers are a total waste. They will collect water if improperly installed or designed. Do you really care if your cook kit gets wet. Even with a pack cover, you'll still need to protect your critical dry goods like sleep system and clothing.

Save the weight and hassle, btw, a turkey oven cooking bag is tougher and lighter than a compactor bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosh View Post

Save the weight and hassle, btw, a turkey oven cooking bag is tougher and lighter than a compactor bag.
    And less than 1/4 the size and significantly more expensive.
    I used 4 turkey bags earlier today to segregate food in my Ursack. They don't hold much, certainly not a sleeping bag.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

My quilt and sleeping clothes fit in one, one only. Not sure why you need to segregate food, but ok.

For a guy who owns 2 $500 sleeping bags, paying a dollar each for an oven bag is the last financial straw?

You might be using the smaller version, the "turkey" bag is 19"x24" flat.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosh View Post
    My quilt and sleeping clothes fit in one, one only. Not sure why you need to segregate food, but ok.

For a guy who owns 2 $500 sleeping bags, paying a dollar each for an oven bag is the last financial straw?

You might be using the smaller version, the "turkey" bag is 19"x24" flat.
    Guilty. In the sticks we don't get anything larger than the Turkey bags.
    Separated food by days.
    2 $500 sleeping bags? Huh?
    Blanket statements don't always work if the product isn't available everywhere.
    And I did preface the pack cover with the word MUST.
    Thanks for the tip. If I ever run across the mega size oven bags I'll give them a try.
    In the meantime the little 19x24 bags will be used for small jobs.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by zig-zag man View Post
    You neglected to mention that add-ons to this pack can cost more than the pack itself. Just sayin. I looked at that one pretty tough, but once I had added a few of the extras, I was at $400+.
    Sorry, my mistake, I thought the add-ons were optional and it was functional without them.

Sorry, my mistake, I thought the add-ons were optional and it was functional without them.
    Depends what you mean by "functional". Here's what it would cost to have the same features as my $159.49 Granite Gear Crown 2 in a ZPacks Arc Haul: $299 base price + $45 belt pouches + $10 ice axe loops + $10 roll-top closure straps + $10 v top strap + $15 lumbar pad + $45 spare belt + $10 shock cord lashing = $444: that's roughly 3X what I paid. (Plus ZPacks only makes their belt pouches in black, which is a stupid choice. Who wants their chocolate snacks melted in the sun?) The ZPacks configuration would be 6 oz. lighter for that $284.51 price difference.

Of the included standard features of the Crown 2 pack, I'll be using all of them on the AT except for the ice axe loops. (And those may come in handy later on the PCT. ) I'm especially going to get good use of the adjustable hip belt; the Crown 2's extra ounce or so of velcro in their adjustable belt means I won't have the expense and inconvenience of replacing it for a smaller size as I get skinny on the trail. You might get by without belt pouches, but I consider them essential. Similarly you might not need extra attachment points and straps, but I'm going with synthetic insulation rather than down, so the main compartment's bulky sleeping bag and puffy jacket displace my sleeping pad to the outside of the pack. I'll be able to expand the pack at the top to fit enough food for the 100 Mile Wilderness, and cinch it down with the handy "V" strap. And I like being able to snug my trekking poles to the side of my pack for those easy flat stretches of trail.

Quote Originally Posted by DownEaster View Post
    Depends what you mean by "functional". Here's what it would cost to have the same features as my $159.49 Granite Gear Crown 2 in a ZPacks Arc Haul: $299 base price + $45 belt pouches + $10 ice axe loops + $10 roll-top closure straps + $10 v top strap + $15 lumbar pad + $45 spare belt + $10 shock cord lashing = $444: that's roughly 3X what I paid. (Plus ZPacks only makes their belt pouches in black, which is a stupid choice. Who wants their chocolate snacks melted in the sun?) The ZPacks configuration would be 6 oz. lighter for that $284.51 price difference.

Of the included standard features of the Crown 2 pack, I'll be using all of them on the AT except for the ice axe loops. (And those may come in handy later on the PCT. ) I'm especially going to get good use of the adjustable hip belt; the Crown 2's extra ounce or so of velcro in their adjustable belt means I won't have the expense and inconvenience of replacing it for a smaller size as I get skinny on the trail. You might get by without belt pouches, but I consider them essential. Similarly you might not need extra attachment points and straps, but I'm going with synthetic insulation rather than down, so the main compartment's bulky sleeping bag and puffy jacket displace my sleeping pad to the outside of the pack. I'll be able to expand the pack at the top to fit enough food for the 100 Mile Wilderness, and cinch it down with the handy "V" strap. And I like being able to snug my trekking poles to the side of my pack for those easy flat stretches of trail.
    I agree, the Crown2 is a great pack. It's got a lot of great features for the money and is well built. The one feature it doesn't have that the original poster was asking for was good back ventilation. For that reason I suggested the Arc Haul as it met "all" the requirements the original poster asked for.

I own a Zpacks pack and a Granite Gear pack and the back ventilation on the Zpacks is much better.

I agree, the Crown2 is a great pack. It's got a lot of great features for the money and is well built. The one feature it doesn't have that the original poster was asking for was good back ventilation.
    I haven't loaded up the Crown 2 in high temperatures, but the vent channels and mesh have worked OK for me so far. There's a big trough going right up the center of the Crown 2 back panel, and that's the part of my back where sweat normally is heaviest.

Check out the Elemental Horizons Kalais.

The old model of SMD Fusions are a great value.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++