WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default pack recommendations?

Slowly but surely shaving my gear weight down, soon I'll be getting an ultralight quilt. Anyone have pack recommendations for a bigger guy that has good back ventilation for less than $300? Zpacks is out of my current budget.

Should probably add that my base weight is hanging around 14-15 pounds.

First priority is fit, which is very much individual. I like my Granite Gear Lutzen 55, which is very adjustable. It might be a horror for you. Shop around in person with your gear in a duffle to fill and test the contenders. $300 should get you something very nice.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I'm a big fan of the Osprey Talon. I keep a pack weight at 15lb and the 44L is perfect. Osprey has a new UL line coming out next year though, possibly worth waiting for. Weight comes in at 37 oz. At $150, it's a great choice.

https://www.ospreypacks.com/us/en/pr...LON44_329.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost;
    the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost."

Leonidas

Osprey is probably going to be your huckleberry. At least based on my expectation of good back ventilation. They and Zpacks are the only packs that have the trampoline style mesh against your back that allows some breath-ability. Other manufacturers have channels in the foam and such, those may work for you, they may not.

I was on the same quest earlier this year, ended up dropping the ventilation desire for an even lighter than Zpacks option. After hiking with it in July for 8-10 days, Zpacks is my only desired replacement.

Osprey as mentioned is supposedly releasing some UL models, I am curious to see what their definition of UL is with these packs. The Osprey Exos 48 is described by them as Super-light at 2.31 lbs in a Medium.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

As mentioned, take a look at the Osprey Exos lineup. I've got both the 58 and 48. Just love them. Very lightweight and cool due to the ventilation. Make sure they fit comfortably. Some folks have had trouble getting a comfortable fit with these packs.

If by "less than $300" you mean to emphasize the figure, the above advice is good. If instead the emphasis is on "less than $300" I should point out that I bought my Granite Gear Crown 2 for $159.49 in June, at the first time that pack went on discount (normal price $199.95). It's the newest model with vent channels on the back, weighing in at 2 lbs. 5 oz. with the removable lid, or 2 lbs. 2 oz. without. I'm pretty happy with this pack.
    Crown2BackORIG.jpg Crown2FrontORIG.jpg

Zpacks Arc Haul is $299 and qualifies for free shipping, that's less than $300.

Images

If your base is 15 lbs, then add 10-12 pounds of food and water and you're in the mid-upper 20s. Pretty much exactly what I carry. I like a good frame at that weight, and I really like my Zpacks Arc Haul. I used a Circuit for years, wore the second one completely out -- great pack but it was very hot against my back. The Arc Haul carries the same weight range just as comfortably, but is much cooler with the mesh back band thing.

I know, you said it's out of your range. So check some of the Osprey packs and see what you like - similar prices but they are often on sale a steep discounts, unlike Zpacks
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Loved my Exos58, at times had 40+ lbs in it and it never was uncomfortable, merely heavy.

Loved the ventilation on the Osprey 48. Jammed a whole lot of stuff in it for my AT attempt. Comes in small, medium and large sizes mostly based on your height/waist width being proportional. The hip belt is locked/sewn in, if you're short and wide, the belt may not fit you off the rack.

http://gregorypacks.com/backpacking/...ilated#start=4

Consider other curved pack designs like ZP's that offer back ventilation. These other designs probably influenced ZP's Arc Blast arc flex design that offers ventilation and real suspension.

By the time you add in upgrades to zpacks like lumbar pads and hip belt pockets the price does get up there. With Osprey you also will need a pack cover which is $30 and 2.8 oz.

The one thing I can never forgive Osprey for, is their tiny hipbelts and pockets.

Look very closely at the Six Moon Designs Fusion 50 or 65. EXCELLENT pack! Well constructed. Lightweight. Well below your $300 limit.

https://www.sixmoondesigns.com/colle...ucts/fusion-65

OkeefenokeeJoe

Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post
    By the time you add in upgrades to zpacks like lumbar pads and hip belt pockets the price does get up there. With Osprey you also will need a pack cover which is $30 and 2.8 oz.
    I used a compacter bag. I found the Osprey entirely waterproof even without the compactor bag. Maybe after a year or two you might need a pack cover?

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    I used a compacter bag. I found the Osprey entirely waterproof even without the compactor bag. Maybe after a year or two you might need a pack cover?
    I don't have osprey now but a cover was recommended to me when I did have one. I fell in a river with just the pack once, the bottom part was in the river but no water went in. I have seen people have their osprey packs get soaked and heavier so maybe thats part of it? I still put my sleeping gear in trash bag even though my pack is waterproof.

Loved/love my osprey but it is a bit of a beast as far as the weight goes, but it carries so nicely. I purchased a used zpacks to keep cost down ($250) because I liked the ventilation; bonus is that it came with 2 hip pouches and the lumbar pad. Unless I am bushwhacking it is my go to pack.

Quote Originally Posted by poolskaterx View Post
    Loved/love my osprey but it is a bit of a beast as far as the weight goes, but it carries so nicely. I purchased a used zpacks to keep cost down ($250) because I liked the ventilation; bonus is that it came with 2 hip pouches and the lumbar pad. Unless I am bushwhacking it is my go to pack.

Individual fit and carry is really important.

Many hikers change up models for ones that fit and carry well. Sometimes that means a little more weight. Sometimes less. But fit is very important.

BTW, my wife uses an Osprey cover on a non-Osprey pack.

It was cheaper and lighter than many alternatives.

Do not be afraid to mix brands.

You didn't say in which way you are bigger, but maybe this guy trying to sell his Arc Haul on WhiteBlaze might be the thing.

Arc Haul for sale
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++