Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Pack Weight

My backpack was often around 25 lbs for a 6 day hikes including clothes, food (mainly noodes and bread), first aid kid, stove, personal belongings... If I carry a sleeping bag or a tent, my backpack will be approximately 30 lbs. I feel comfortable with that weight and I thinks that your pack is rather lightweight for lower than 20 lbs.

Food is a big weight and people usually carry too much at the beginning, depending on how experienced they are. The inexperienced will always assume that they will eat more straight off. I do a lot of bushwalking and know that in the first couple of days I will actually eat less. After 2-3 days I start eating normally and after a couple of weeks I'm eating about 30% more.

I started the AT with about 700 grams/day. The first resupply at Neel Gap I was back up to my normal 900 grams/day and at Fontana Day my resupply took me up to about 1.2kg/day. These are based on dehydrated meals as much as possible. When I started carrying foil packets of chicken etc, and more non dehydrated food, weight went up.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Just shy of senior citizen status, it seems my limit for an extended hike is 25-30 pounds on my back. That's about half of what I used to schlep as a newb hiker at age 25 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Just shy of senior citizen status, it seems my limit for an extended hike is 25-30 pounds on my back. That's about half of what I used to schlep as a newb hiker at age 25 or so.
    That's about mine now to, I hate going over 30lbs but do in some of the drier areas of Australia where you have to carry more water. When I think back to age 25 it was 50 - 70+ Kg in the "LIGHT" Infantry, depending on the mission.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

my weight usually runs around 27 lbs with 3 days of food and water. I would love to get less than than but I would be worthless without sleep a good night sleep in a hammock that weighs more than a tent is worth its weight in gold

Quote Originally Posted by birdygal View Post
    my weight usually runs around 27 lbs with 3 days of food and water. I would love to get less than than but I would be worthless without sleep a good night sleep in a hammock that weighs more than a tent is worth its weight in gold
    My hammock set-up and my tent set-up weigh in at about the same...the hammock set-up is slightly more bulky but not heavier. Maybe you should look into some lighter alternatives for hammocking

the only place I could really shave off any decent weight would be in cuban tarp which I would not consider that much money for the weight advantage. my tent weighs 2 lbs 10 oz. for 2 people. I have to have an air mattress to even attempt to sleep on the ground that weighs another 1lb so my hammock setup is actually lighter unless my dear hubby comes with me, but then he would have the tent in his backpack not mine.

Im aiming for 25 to 30 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by gracebowen View Post
    Im aiming for 25 to 30 lbs.
    You will make it. Good luck.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

My highest base weight was 30 and lowest was 7. A pack is still on your back but it was nicer to carry the 7lb one.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++