WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default WTB: 1.3L Cookpot

Two potential candidates I've found are:
    1.3L MSR Ceramic Coated Aluminum Solo Cooking Pot
    or
    1.3L Evernew Titanium Non-Stick Pot

After much consideration I've settled upon this size and shape for a cookpot.
    Anyone out there have one they're willing to part with?

Payment would be by paypal and I'll cover the fees.

Images

I have both, the better choice is the MSR Ceramic Solo Pot but I believe it is a new item from MSR so you might have to buy it new, I switched to it because the first time I used my Evernew Non Stick 1.3L was with a Snow Peak Ti-Lite stove and I lowered it to simmer while cooking a Packit Gourmet Texas Chili and it burned the food in less than a minute, which surprised me since it has the non stick coating, the pot still has the burn mark which seems to now be part of the pot, couldn't get it out, I figured it might be the stove so I bought an Optimus Crux Lite with a wider flame pattern for the next time but came across the new MSR pot and decided to try it out, I made a rice side and left it alone during the whole cooking process and it didn't burn, I have another Packit Chili and I'll try the MSR with that when I'm on the trail in a few days.

Appreciate the feedback from someone who has used both pots.
    I haven't used a Ti pot before and have my concerns about stories of burned food.
    I'd still consider one but you've confirmed that my concerns appear to be legit.

Journal Entries

Ti is actually a poor cooking surface due to low heat transfer qualities. It gets the heat to the food fast because it's so thin, but also the metal heats up a hell of a lot as it is unable to distribute that heat fast enough to the rest of the pot. So it gets very localized hot spots, so yes burnt food, even and especially on simmer. Aluminum is a near ideal cooking metal as far as heat distribution.

Images

[QUOTE=fithiker;2163927]Appreciate the feedback from someone who has used both pots.
    I haven't used a Ti pot before and have my concerns about stories of burned food.
    I'd still consider one but you've confirmed that my concerns appear to be legit.[/QUOTE

I suppose if you stir constantly until you turn the stove off, burning might be avoided.

I understand this is getting off track as I don't have one of these MSR pots to sell, but I would appreciate it if someone provided some after-use reports on how it works for cooking and durability. I'm especially interested in how the ceramic coating performs (compared to Teflon, which can't be beat until it's beat up ).

Moderator: Thread may be deleted. Found a cookpot that, although it isn't one of those listed in my OP, it is working out well for me.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fithiker View Post
    Moderator: Thread may be deleted. Found a cookpot that, although it isn't one of those listed in my OP, it is working out well for me.
    No need to delete... tell us what you went with and why you like it.

Ended up going with the GSI Pinnacle Soloist.

Thought that I wanted a short and wide pot that was between 1.1L and 1.3L but couldn't find one at a price that I thought was reasonable.
    So I thought about it some more and pulled the trigger on the Soloist.
    After about a dozen meals with the Soloist I'm a happy camper with my decision.

++ New Posts ++