WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Joey Camps 2nd Unsupported AT FKT

I saw where Joey Camps made an announcement four days ago over on the FKT web site that he will start his 2nd unsupported AT FKT attempt sometime in early August. He will be going SOBO this time and keeping a low profile. It's quite possible he's already begun.

I was thinking at some point he will run in Stringbean who is going NOBO. Hope they recognize each other. Maybe take a selfie, say good luck to each other and move on.

His announcement here> http://fastestknowntime.proboards.com/thread/6?page=8
    Joey's Instagram Page >https://www.instagram.com/joey.camps/?hl=en

That's a sight to behold!!

Joey was/is having some stomach issues- so his attempt this year has (literally) been a bit fluid- but it seems as if he's pulled it together and going to give it a shot.
    But other than the FKT announcement and his posts on instagram: He has also requested privacy and will be delaying his posts. Besides the normal good reasons for a self-supported hike; there are other good reasons for him personally...
    So as always please respect the wishes of anyone attempting an FKT and do not share location information that is not publicly released.

Joey did pack his special pink thong in case he met Joe and has the chance to take a picture.
    Joey has been popping into Joe's FB account to wish him well so odds are good they will recognize each other as they will be the only two idiots hiking past midnight.

Default Full circle

Three years is a long time to be on a hike but sometimes we never really leave the trail do we?
    So here we are at record attempt number three for Joey. Lucky number three if all goes well.
    Joey will still be who he is regardless- he's just happy to be out there and take a shot. '
    Peace and love' says Joey- that's who he is.

I hope the trail will be glad to see him too... you never know what good medicine is out there until you complete the circle.
    Welcome home Joey.

From Joey's blog- July 13th, 2014

As I was on the trail to BSC, I began realizing; 8 more miles and I am done carrying this pack. 7 miles and Im on the last climb. 6 more until your free to fly. 5 more hours. 4 till the floor. 3 its just me. 2 what can you do. 1 this is soo much fun. Chased a moose for the last half mile. I hit BSC. I saw my dad , lifted me higher. I dried my feet. Ditched the pack and packed my day pack ,...with pretty much nothing. I ran the first mile of the climb. It felt amazing. All the memories of the trail flowing through my mind like in the movies. I was crying and flying. The trail kicked up. It became a little technical. But I didnt miss a beat. My arms were doing half the work now. Grabing tree and rock, lifting me higher. I felt so alive. Superman ish. As I crested the ridge after some boulder hopping. I could see a hoard of people loitering at the top. The fact that I had a cool breeze, a crowd might be watching me and I was finishing the last mile of a 2200 mile journey, made me numb. I poured it on I was running. Hopping from boulder to boulder feeling the groove and climbing ever so slighly. The last bit kicks up. I only speed up. My lungs were burning for the first time in 2 months. Such a wonderful feeling. I got to the sign. 51:51? Thats a wierd time. Haha it was upside down. I couldnt tell. 12:12. I had left at 10:36. An hour and 36 mins to the top. No FKT but thats fast. I was exhausted. I took pictures and took it all in. I ate some skittles and found my pot of gold. But they were sour flavored skittles. And it began to sink in. Yes, I was done with the AT. But I still needed to hike the 5 miles back down. I know I said the AT was the hardest thing I ever did. But hiking down Katahdin was a pretty close second. I had no motivation. I was tired. Like 2200 miles tired. But I just reminisced the entire way down. The last mile I started running and by the end was sprinting. What an accomplishment. I felt so satisfied. I came along way. Struggled through some really difficult patches. And in the end, I sprinted.

What a journey. Thank you everyone who followed along, cheered me on or otherwise inspired/motivated/reved me up! I honestly recommend the trail for everyone. You dont have to do 40 miles a day. But get out there. Walk around. See some beauty. Meet some people. Restore your faith in humanity. Learn more about yourself. Think about what is important to you. Change your life for better. It is a life changing experience. For me and I think many other hikers. It is a struggle. And in my opinion, the best things come to you when you persevere through tough times and hardship, but still come out on top.

I know I will come back to the AT. It will take some time to forget the pain, suffering and trenchfoot. But ill get over it and miss the beauty and emotions. Maybe Ill get a crew and just run it. But I think I like the idea of being engulfed in the trail carrying all of your gear. Like an RV, drive and drive; home is where you stop for the night. No escape. A tunnel through the forrest. The only way out is through. The only shorter way; faster. If I do ever go for a record; I think I learned a lot that would be useful. I know for sure; I probably wouldnt tell anyone. Especially family and friends that love and care about me. In a sense it would be easier. Not to have the "support" as sometimes it turns from emotional/verbal support to physical/tangible support. Which, is just another challenge you dont need when you are already out there killing yourself.

That being said...I already descended Katahdin. Maybe I am heading SoBo right now, trying to go for the record......you never know.

And so I will leave you with one more; one of my favorite songs......Pink Floyds "Fearless"

You say the hill's too steep to climb,
    Chiding!
    You say you'd like to see me try,
    Climbing!
    You pick the place and I'll choose the time
    And I'll climb
    The hill in my own way
    just wait a while, for the right day
    And as I rise above the treeline and the clouds
    I look down hear the sound of the things you said today

http://joeycamps.blogspot.com/2014/

Bill you're a comedian

Ounces are the little-death

Wow. What an exciting summer for the AT.

The AT doesn't care! Exciting summer for whacked-out speed hiking enthusiasts!

Joey just posted his first day mileage (48.3) over on his Instagram page along with a short video.

I'm sure he's aware of the mileage Stringbean has been posting. I'm sure he feels like he got to up his game some now.

I've added him to the spreadsheet and am charting stringbeang vs. joeycamps vs annish. ALL DATA UNOFFICIAL AND LIKELY INACCURATE!!!!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

In short order the Grand map master Kirk will be debuting something really unique too.

Not being anything more than a HS graduate/carpenter-
    I've never quite followed the linear pace and some other statistical graphing methods.
    That said- I've always understood two things-
    the AT has a natural and varied speed limit by section which makes it unique in terms of graphing.
    MapMan put a monumental effort in that helps back that up with data that is very useful.

https://1drv.ms/b/s!Apygyt54yYPwoAqsZcMrd4QZEAXj

This is not current- but these graphs show pretty well what I mean.
    Page one and two are some comparisons of Joey, Matt, and Jen's hikes (Joey's last AT attempt, Jen's final, Matt's current FKT).

page 3 shows Map Map Man's data visually- Sobo and Nobo travel the trail at different speeds in different sections.... which is why lineal pacing is a difficult and perhaps misleading way to compare efforts.
    My speed hike charts that I occasionally post are based upon those curves but you can see on there the basic difference as I assume that a speed hiker isn't "ramping up" to trail legs like a typical hiker. So the speed hiker takes the top speed of both hikers, with a tweak or two, and establishes their own curve. Likely some statistics person has some formula to plot things along such a curve once established. Plotting to that curve would provide a much more meaningful way to chart these hikes... though I don't have the math language or training to communicate or express it.

Only posting this because we have a few number crunchers available already... Keep up the good work!

One or two folks I know may still be tied up in a recent hike... so once that's done hopefully we can jump in and really give both Joe's some of the good community mapping, graphing, and recording efforts that folks like Map Man, OddManOut, and Jeffmeh have contributed in the past.

I think that between what Matt is bringing out and what we have all learned as a group there might be some really cool ways to help us all "see" these events, follow along, and even perhaps watch past and present attempts in a more meaningful way than before.
    While maintaining the privacy and safety of a hiker is the primary goal... well that sure is a crappy way to participate, lol. So Matt in particular has come up with some great ways to maintain privacy, achieve the highest possible standards of documentation, and to allow everyone who wants to cheer on these efforts do so.

'I started' and 'I'm done' get the word out- but some sort of middle ground is needed and presenting actual information- rather than forcing us to speculate and occasionally accidentally spill the beans on a hikers location inadvertently in the process. This would also allow a higher level of transparency with more eyes on the record "in progress" rather than just at the end when it's all said and done and any trace of that hiker's passage has grown cold.

WB is filled with thousands of people who walk on and maintain this trail. Who love it and collectively know every inch of this trail.
    Believe it or not- many of these efforts here at WB not only assist in verification- but also in planning, pacing and perhaps even in setting these records.
    Last edited by Just Bill; 08-12-2017 at 11:28.

Journal Entries

dudes a beast
    hoping third times the charm for him

Yeah Bill, the non-linear intangibles are what's most interesting about these efforts. What is the psychological effect of hiking N to S ("downhill") and knowing the Whites are behind and the relatively easy part lies ahead? Lots of stuff like that. A dynamic playing field. A bit like golf in that regard--golfer against the course, in whatever state they encounter the course at any moment. Let's let that be the end of the golf comparison which already had its moment in another thread....

As for number crunching. The sheet I put together is short-sighted and sloppy at best, but I'll do my best to catalog whatever data becomes available and then do stuff with it. I encourage anyone so inclined to copy the sheet and improve upon it if they are interested. Probably not many are because they actually have a life. My summer hiking is over and I'm back to a regular schedule this week so I should have some time to keep an eye on things....

Here's Joey's track map: https://mapalist.com/map/638124Note: this map automatically charts data from a SPOT device. Timestamps are reformatted into elapsed time (dd:hh:mm) and delayed to deter anyone from trying to come find him on the trail! When finished, all raw data will be made available.

Trying again Here's Joey's track map: https://mapalist.com/map/638124

Quote Originally Posted by matthew.d.kirk View Post
    Looks even better in person, lol.

FIRE...FIRE ON THE MOUNTAIN!

So Joey's Last Pin is basically 12.5 days in... 490 miles or so ballparking it.

At 12.5 days
    Karl was at: 534 miles (45.95 day finish)
    Jen Davis was at: 498.55 miles - (46.44 day finish.)

Average those two hikes- and Joey is 26 miles off a 46 day pace to Maine Junction.

He 'walked Maine out of respect'.
    He has been pacing himself.
    Almost time to start running.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    So Joey's Last Pin is basically 12.5 days in... 490 miles or so ballparking it.

At 12.5 days
    Karl was at: 534 miles (45.95 day finish)
    Jen Davis was at: 498.55 miles - (46.44 day finish.)

Average those two hikes- and Joey is 26 miles off a 46 day pace to Maine Junction.

He 'walked Maine out of respect'.
    He has been pacing himself.
    Almost time to start running.

I don't know the guy all that well, but it does feel as if he is pacing himself at this stage. Avoiding injury. Getting warmed up for a sprint in the south.

Quote Originally Posted by Rmcpeak View Post
    I don't know the guy all that well, but it does feel as if he is pacing himself at this stage. Avoiding injury. Getting warmed up for a sprint in the south.
    By the way, is the "Pin" you are talking about Instagram? I see 12 days 463 miles. If there's a better data feed I'd like to know about it if possible.

By the way, is the "Pin" you are talking about Instagram? I see 12 days 463 miles. If there's a better data feed I'd like to know about it if possible.
    Open up Matt's magical map. This is the first run of this... but might change the way we not only watch, but potentially verify these hikes.
    The 'pin' just refers to the way the map displays Joey's location. Matt has access to Joey's live track from his Spot Feed... then he uses witchcraft and secret sauce to then covert those pings into a delayed track that only shares his progress relative to day zero (his start). So Joey's exact start date is unknown, his current location is unknown... but you can see his progress in FKT time so his live location is irrelevant.

In addition- you can see him "racing" against the Self-Supported FKT times; Matt (current men's) and Anish (Current overall) .
    I won't share the exact delay used- but Joey is virtually live if that makes sense. Every time his spot pings it updates the map.

As far as "watching along" instead of linear pace, this is directly relevant to where everyone is both geographically and in the context of their hike. Matt and Heather's time is fixed as it's completed, but Joey is running right beside them.

If you click on each pin near Killington for example you can see Joey (Green) 12d:8h:34, Anderson (yellow) 13d:6h,53m and Kirk (red)13d:14h:18m

These points are not extrapolated, they are real GPS pings- not social media or other updates. I used the last two green pins (pings) to run the Karl, Jen, Joey numbers.
    If Jen's was on here you'd see his pin about 9 miles behind Jen at the "moment".

I think it's pretty amazing as a fan, even better as far as documentation.
    'Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.' and this is an extraordinary tool.
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew.d.kirk View Post

That was exactly the plan. Respect the North, survive the whites.
    Arrive at the turn at Maine Junction safe, healthy and happy.
    Then start stretching them legs from Killington to Williamstown.
    Warm em up over the next four, respect the rocks and once he clears Bears Den...
    Apply Joey Juice liberally and toss it all on an open fire to Springer.

Been holding my breath on making the turn- I don't care who you are that's a serious stretch of trail.
    Sounds like he's starting to reach for that next gear right on schedule.

Joey is dangerously exciting and disturbingly fast when he cuts loose.
    Just a little restraint in the right spots... lots of luck and a heaping helping of trail magic and you might just see him pull this off.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++