WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Runway in Damascus after the talent show, I can honestly say I don't wanna see that
    Be like the posedown in bodybuilding. Its not really part of competition, its there for spectators to look at while judges are deciding..... (all 40 of them in the H.S. gymnasium)

Or an evening gown competition....(apologies to jester)

Screenshot_20170928-205751.png
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-28-2017 at 22:00.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Be like the posedown in bodybuilding. Its not really part of competition, its there for spectators to look at while judges are deciding..... (all 40 of them in the H.S. gymnasium)
    and not for nuthin' but some of the talent on them beauty talent shows looks they did a thru hike, emaciated is not a good look, eh?

Oh dear, I knew I should have kept my mouth shut😬

The map Matt made was super cool, thanks Matt! You are correct about timely transparency. I am trying super hard, but I got back Sunday night, Im going to put in about 45hours work this week and my body is just a wee bit messed up still. I would imagine I have a better situation than most (no comute, no obligations).

Also, I do agree with Muddy that I would hate to see someone DQ'd after putting out such a huge effort. It is good to talk about different situations. Im still learning and this aint my first rodeo.

Ps... umm I used to do a bit of body building😔🏋🏼

I'm not a runner and don't play one on tv, but to me, the feat of continuous 50 mile days is plain astonishing. With photographs to support the claim, even more so. Seems more reliable, no extra batteries and what not. That said Joey Camps haters gonna hate. You can change who they are.

Sheesh. Not enough coffee yet. It should read "you can't change who they are" carry on

I'm not truly an expert in this but pretty sure I know who won that portion of the competition.
    Matt and Jen might be able to compete with each other on longest legs perhaps. Though stringbean seems to be in the running too.
    I've never seen a shot of Anish in anything skimpier than a sundress but guessing that still ain't going to pull it out for her.
    Ninja's pretty cute but never made it to the final round of competition due to being DQ'd for her lack of an appropriate bikini.
    Knotts did pretty good overall for a guy who spent weeks at a time in his underwear full time, Jurek's a handsome enough fella and Meltzer of course did amazingly well in the senior division.

But clearly the winner of the swimsuit portion of the competition is Joey 'Flash' Camps.
    The winner.PNG

As fer the rest....
    After this season in particular. Hopefully everyone sees why there is a need to more clearly define what this FKT entails.
    What is legal, what is not.

Matt and I butted heads a bit on mail drops vs supply as you go as a way to narrow the parameters. But I stick with my original thoughts on it:
    If someone has a dietary restriction (or medical issues as Joey brought up) then eliminating mail drops is a rule that excludes competition, or as Peter says 'Puts an undue burden' on subsequent attempts.

As popularity of the AT has increased (and some PO budgets have been cut) the old rule of thumb regarding your boxes sitting at a PO for 6-8 weeks is no longer an option.
    As more private establishments willing to accept mail drops have popped up; those come with some restrictions too so they don't need to install a warehouse to store boxes.

So if there are mail drops... it seems that for the AT at least... someone likely must be enlisted to drop them while you're on trail.

So I think some guidelines are in order... but maildrops are likely here to stay.

In my opinion- for this off season there should be two goals:
    Restore the level of documentation needed to claim an FKT. (Joey's likely about to do that at least).
    Provide a short, clear, concise set of rules for Self Supported FKT's on long trails. Including how to document your hike and present your claim when finished.

Until those two things are done and there is a standard to discuss or modify then the rest is wasted breath.
    Everyone needs to be on one system, even if it isn't perfect. It can evolve as needed as things change.

A supported hike really has no rules. Hike the trail you claim to hike in a continuous line of footprints from end to end.

A self supported (or fully unsupported hike) is a bit different. It's meant to be a challenge of one and that's what makes it special for those who follow them, but most importantly for those who do them.
    As technology and trail services change the solo and self-reliant nature of these efforts begins to get grey. It can tarnish the experience and bring into question what has really been accomplished.

That is not to take away from anyone current or past- but to protect this type of trip going forward.
    It is a very unique type of 'competition'. The clock is the bar set for you to judge yourself against- but at the end it is pretty irrelevant in comparison to the experience itself.
    It's a competition of one. The only reason to push the rules, set guidelines, or niggle over some fine lines is to preserve the solo nature of the trip as much as possible.
    Nobody cares about this as a race. Maybe a few see that headline, but I know for a fact that the vast majority of those who do this walk away with something more when they do it right.

The final time is the first line in a story. A good opening line makes you keep reading. But if that's all there is then the book gets put down unread... these just turn into a race.
    Like many sports you can just condense the final score into a one liner on the sports page and call it a day if it gets to that point. That would be too bad.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post

But clearly the winner of the swimsuit portion of the competition is Joey 'Flash' Camps.
    The winner.PNG
    He got my wifes vote.........

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    emaciated is not a good look, eh?
    Darn it!!! I thought "thin was in" Just say no to undernourishment!

I agree photo albums can go further than a track map in telling a story. Great when you can have both, especially within a week of finishing. Why it takes a month+ to publish your stuff still befuddles me...

Maybe Peter can enlighten us.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew.d.kirk View Post
    Darn it!!! I thought "thin was in" Just say no to undernourishment!

I agree photo albums can go further than a track map in telling a story. Great when you can have both, especially within a week of finishing. Why it takes a month+ to publish your stuff still befuddles me...

Maybe Peter can enlighten us.
    Nope... I informed my wife the other day that according to current trends I am not 30 pounds overweight nor fat.
    After all this hardwork as a desk jockey and sitting behind the sewing machine I have in fact achieved the coveted "Dad Bod".
    So it was tough, but once again I'm pretty hot now too.

If you would just stop running and let yourself go, now that you have a kid perhaps you could have a shot at this competition too.

Since Joey looks on track to best your time on fastest known documentation you really need to focus on the swimsuit portion now.

Can't wait for Joey's trip report and to catch up on all his videos too... but looking like he will have the first documented FKT of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    He got my wifes vote.........
    PHFF! Your 'wife'

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Camps View Post
    I borrowed one of my headlamp batteries to send out a ping and someone thought that was support(because I only wrote "borrowed" in my insta post and not "borrowed from my own headlamp").
    Apologies Joey -that was me misreading. It was not meant negatively -It was a response to a previous poster criticizing someone (else) for smaller and smaller things and used you as an example where the only criticism possible was for something microscopic. Which you didn't do anyway. Posts 184 and 185 under Joe. As you said, it is good to talk about different situations. Thanks for clarifying.

And congratulations! Superhuman hike!

Rant time...

My contacts and Amoxicillin (for Lyme) is not something I can just order off amazon.
    I didn't know it until a week ago, but you can actually order Amoxicillin via Amazon prime.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B074WF...2YL&ref=plSrch

Thanks black chucks and no worries. My point being, I try to get as much info out while on trail. But I only want to type so much and an insta post can only be so long. No to mention typo's and mis numbering days and miles. Ugh, FKT problems.

Violet Green ...Im not a fish. Thanks though. Im pretty sure anything you need a "script" for you cannot order freely off the internet (except black market). I don't need to commit any MORE crimes...haha teaser, wait for it! Its benign. Nevertheless. Thanks Violet for the plug😉

Pleasant surprise to find Joey blogging his trip journal (including pack list): http://joeycamps.blogspot.com/

Thank you, Joey!

Im pretty sure anything you need a "script" for you cannot order freely off the internet (except black market).
    Well, you would be wrong, but feel free to believe what you like. Nice hike by the way! I was rooting for ya.

Journal Entries

Violet Green ...Im not a fish. Thanks though. Im pretty sure anything you need a "script" for you cannot order freely off the internet (except black market). I don't need to commit any MORE crimes...haha teaser, wait for it! Its benign. Nevertheless. Thanks Violet for the plug

Depends what it is. A great deal of prescriptions are filled via mail order pharmacy today. If dont need prescription in mexico or canada , and not illegal to import, you can mail order without prescription. I mail order my dog medications from austrailia, no prescription needed...and cheaper than here.

Other countries have mail order pharmacies where they have a dr write you a prescription for x after just filling out form stating symptoms. Then they mail it to you. If not a controlled drug, you can order this way. Some, just ship stuff, legal or not, not their problem which can land you in jail for certain things illegal to import. Like schedule iii

My insurance now has an online dr that does same thing, dispense common prescriptions for common symptoms $50 instead if $115 or do to visit real dr in person
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-04-2017 at 22:18.

Love reading the flash blog entry especially what he carried. Has the String Bean done this and if not why not

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    Love reading the flash blog entry especially what he carried. Has the String Bean done this and if not why not
    Has SB posted anything public yet? I'm curious about his tales of trail magic that allowed him to run through the night more than once. And his seemingly unbelievable lack of weight/muscle mass loss. If Peter is so convinced, why not lest the rest of the world in on it? Especially the documentation other than SPOT....

I'm disappointed with SB. He told me 9/14 he'd put some things together, but the only thing I ever saw was his daily mile log. I don't think he even posted that publicly, just sent to me. I also don't know if he posted his Spot data publicly. How you spend 46 days walking/running for 12-16 hours / day and then can't spend a couple hours writing up a trip report is beyond me. Well, his Spot data looked pretty solid for as long as I was able to follow it (at some point I got swamped with other stuff and couldn't keep up).

Quote Originally Posted by pbakwin View Post
    I'm disappointed with SB. He told me 9/14 he'd put some things together, but the only thing I ever saw was his daily mile log. I don't think he even posted that publicly, just sent to me. I also don't know if he posted his Spot data publicly. How you spend 46 days walking/running for 12-16 hours / day and then can't spend a couple hours writing up a trip report is beyond me. Well, his Spot data looked pretty solid for as long as I was able to follow it (at some point I got swamped with other stuff and couldn't keep up).
    Wait. What?

Let me see if I've got this all straight. First, let me thank you for your efforts. Second, I thought you vetted SB's effort and declared it a "win"? Are you saying you did this based on an easily fabricated daily mile log and SPOT data that "looked pretty solid as long as I was able to follow it"????????? You've never seen ALL of his SPOT data? You've never matched his SPOT data with his mileage log, his journal, his photos, sightings, resupplies.....nothing? He's never submitted any kind of trip report? No daily narrative of any kind? No geotagged photos?

And he has never made one damn thing public???????

Have I missed something here? Is there any good reason SB is getting away with declaring himself anything of anything?

Honestly, after supposedly doing what no human has ever done before, over an arduous as hell 45 days you can't be arsed to provide any proof because you are too busy getting back to the real world

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++