WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

That's incredible. Way to go Joey!

Leonidas

Congrats Joey!
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Journal Entries

awesome. congrats!

Bout damn time Joey...ne'r a doubt in my mind, good job and well deserved! What's next?

If records are divided into direction, would this be the southbound self-supported FKT. What's the term self-supported, unsupported or something else?

Either way, congrats!

Congrats to Joey
    According to my calculation, Joey finished 5 days 8 hrs ahead of Anish's self-supported record and 9 days 9 hrs 50 min ahead of Matt Kirk's record. An amazing feet to say the least. Just think, if Joey had started a few months earlier and ran the same time he would have been the record holder at least for a little while as it stands now.

It really takes a special person to persevere knowing for some time he wasn't going to beat Stringbean's record. Look at Karl Meltzer when he bailed with 600 miles to go when he fell off the pace and realized he had no shot at the record on his 2nd AT attempt. But not Camps. Joey's not a quitter. Joey's a major winner in my book.

Just for the record (if it holds) Stringbean finished 3 days 12 hrs 41 min ahead of Joey.

Quote Originally Posted by Chair-man View Post
    Congrats to Joey
    According to my calculation, Joey finished 5 days 8 hrs ahead of Anish's self-supported record and 9 days 9 hrs 50 min ahead of Matt Kirk's record. An amazing feet to say the least. Just think, if Joey had started a few months earlier and ran the same time he would have been the record holder at least for a little while as it stands now.

It really takes a special person to persevere knowing for some time he wasn't going to beat Stringbean's record. Look at Karl Meltzer when he bailed with 600 miles to go when he fell off the pace and realized he had no shot at the record on his 2nd AT attempt. But not Camps. Joey's not a quitter. Joey's a major winner in my book.

Just for the record (if it holds) Stringbean finished 3 days 12 hrs 41 min ahead of Joey.
    Yeah, but did SB really do the self-supported as he promised? Remember, SB posted his announcement using Anish's self-imposed trail magic rules....pretty sure Joey really did do it self-supported in Anish-style. But, apparently there is no splitting hairs in the self-supported, as long as you didn't get into a car or yellow-blaze..."truly random" appears to be a meaningless phrase when it comes to "trail magic" helping you "win" the self-supported FKT...just sayin...

BTW...pretty sure Speedgoat isn't a "quitter", as you insinuated. Pretty sure Joey wouldn't insinuate that either...

I do offer my sincere congratulations to Joey on his extraordinary effort. Hell of a thing. Done the right way.

I think the Bean did it as advertised but I didn't go with him but for pictures on his insta face...

Bean is legit. Camps had some magic too. They are both superhuman.

Quote Originally Posted by Rmcpeak View Post
    Bean is legit.
    I may have missed it, because there was a post here over a week ago saying it was coming imminently, but is his data/logistics posted somewhere, yet?

Ounces are the little-death

Nuts to have these two times happen so close together.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew.d.kirk View Post
    I may have missed it, because there was a post here over a week ago saying it was coming imminently, but is his data/logistics posted somewhere, yet?
    I havn't seen anything. Only Instagram. Maybe I spoke too soon!

Really, really incredible work! It was a thrill to watch all the action.

I had a question about the self-supported style, I noticed Joey mentioned that he had someone "On standby with extra gear.", do some interpretations of self supported allow you to have someone send you stuff in event of a catastrophic gear breakdown?

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by mtmcduffie View Post
    Really, really incredible work! It was a thrill to watch all the action.

I had a question about the self-supported style, I noticed Joey mentioned that he had someone "On standby with extra gear.", do some interpretations of self supported allow you to have someone send you stuff in event of a catastrophic gear breakdown?
    I would think this would follow normal thru hiker standards. Most people have people at home that can mail them stuff if needed or they use Amazon. So unless the person was physically meeting them on trial, which could still be argued by some if they lived close, it would still be "normal". The problem is it is all a grey area IMO if a physical meeting takes place on trail.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Fer the most part yes- much like a normal thru hiker has somebody most FKT folks have somebody at home to help if needed.
    Because of the pace these days- not that big a deal to ship all your boxes ahead of time, but some places don't want them there more than 2 weeks or so. In those cases you need to delay mailing your drops.

As pointed out... now that you can order via amazon and other outlets the line is getting a bit blurrier. In the past you might have some specialized gear that you find critical (like a homemade or prototype backpack) that would be hard to replace on the fly that you kept spares of at home.

I'd agree on meeting in person being an issue for sure.... I'd call it pretty black and white personally.

I think it's perhaps something that could be hammered out better in the future.
    With tech what it is you almost have a crew chief/support crew/what have you that is 'next day air' away on a trail like the AT.
    Even a few years ago that wasn't the case. So it might be something to discuss more; but at this time so long as you physically pick up the boxes/supplies yourself it doesn't matter how they got there.

Real life-
    Knotts orders batteries via Amazon while in progress... no problem.
    Knotts sent a hiker to a store with his CC to get batteries for him... problem.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post

Real life-
    Knotts orders batteries via Amazon while in progress... no problem.
    Knotts sent a hiker to a store with his CC to get batteries for him... problem.
    Is that different so much from a person at home packing and sending out resupplies? How to ever know someone not adding things even if hiker claims prepackaged and only shipped.

The bigger the microscope you use, the more minutia you will get overwhelmed with.

Only way to stop it....hiker must premail all drops. Or use service like amazon.

First off, THANK YOU all for the congratulations!

Rant time...

My contacts and Amoxicillin (for Lyme) is not something I can just order off amazon. Also, medications are something you can't just order off amazon. You are being ridiculous. None of that stuff helps the person gain any milage. It helps them be healthy and keep hiking. I put together all my boxes and the postage for them. Then just had someone put them out for the UPS guy when the timing was appropriate. Like Bill said, some places have limits on how long they will hold your package(e.g. Cheshire PO only guarentees 7 days).
    I agree that sending someone to pick up batteries and bring them to you is a no no. But it was for the SPOT that he was required to carry. SPOTs are a newer thing. Forgive me, but I don't believe Matt "the man" Kirk carried one. I only mention this because my point is technology doesn't always make things easier. My first batteries lasted 1,042miles and some extra in ME(28 days total) with juice still in them. My second set of batteries died after 300 miles(6days). How do you plan for that? I borrowed one of my headlamp batteries to send out a ping and someone thought that was support(because I only wrote "borrowed" in my insta post and not "borrowed from my own headlamp"). My phone, which I am suppose to take pictures/video to document my trip, suffered water damage and for awhile I thought it was done for. At one point it wouldn't charge. If I don't have pictures for a day or a few, you guys start to question why not?

The trail is hard, as it is. Trying to do 40+ mpd is really hard. Trying to do all that, then document it perfectly for ya'll is extremely hard. Doing all that and getting rained on is damn near impossible. And then to have technology problems on top of that😳😳. Not to mention Hurricanes😳🤕😥. Please try going a little easier on us, we are trying...really hard.

Journal Entries

Well, one things clear.

The rules need to be modified to include a talent portion, and swimsuit competition

Subjective aspects, will only become more contentious as the gap in attempts narrows.

What I would hate to see, is anyone put forth a superhuman effort, months of their life, thousands of dollars, and get discounted for anything unclear beforehand. Inconsequential or not.

Fortunately my opinion dont count. Im a spectator. I would like the to see the swimsuit portion though....
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-28-2017 at 20:16.

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Camps View Post
    Please try going a little easier on us, we are trying...really hard.
    Joey, first of all, good work with documentation! Resupply list and link to album with hundreds of timestamped pics/vids from trail are available here: https://www.instagram.com/joey.camps/
    Solid. Thanks also for clarifying your mail drop situation. You're right, medication is tricky, spots are spotty and the battery situation is a PIA. Technology is not always a boon.

My main push (ad nauseam) on this forum has been for timely transparency. I believe both you and I demonstrated it back in 2013 and 2014 without use of trackers.
    Flash forward to 2017, you've demonstrated it yet again (this time with a cool track map). Though actions speak louder than words, thank you for both.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew.d.kirk View Post
    Joey, first of all, good work with documentation! Resupply list and link to album with hundreds of timestamped pics/vids from trail are available here: https://www.instagram.com/joey.camps/
    Solid. Thanks also for clarifying your mail drop situation. You're right, medication is tricky, spots are spotty and the battery situation is a PIA. Technology is not always a boon.

My main push (ad nauseam) on this forum has been for timely transparency. I believe both you and I demonstrated it back in 2013 and 2014 without use of trackers.
    Flash forward to 2017, you've demonstrated it yet again (this time with a cool track map). Though actions speak louder than words, thank you for both.
    Runway in Damascus after the talent show, I can honestly say I don't wanna see that

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++