WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Open up Matt's magical map. This is the first run of this... but might change the way we not only watch, but potentially verify these hikes.
    The 'pin' just refers to the way the map displays Joey's location. Matt has access to Joey's live track from his Spot Feed... then he uses witchcraft and secret sauce to then covert those pings into a delayed track that only shares his progress relative to day zero (his start). So Joey's exact start date is unknown, his current location is unknown... but you can see his progress in FKT time so his live location is irrelevant.

In addition- you can see him "racing" against the Self-Supported FKT times; Matt (current men's) and Anish (Current overall) .
    I won't share the exact delay used- but Joey is virtually live if that makes sense. Every time his spot pings it updates the map.

As far as "watching along" instead of linear pace, this is directly relevant to where everyone is both geographically and in the context of their hike. Matt and Heather's time is fixed as it's completed, but Joey is running right beside them.

If you click on each pin near Killington for example you can see Joey (Green) 12d:8h:34, Anderson (yellow) 13d:6h,53m and Kirk (red)13d:14h:18m

These points are not extrapolated, they are real GPS pings- not social media or other updates. I used the last two green pins (pings) to run the Karl, Jen, Joey numbers.
    If Jen's was on here you'd see his pin about 9 miles behind Jen at the "moment".

I think it's pretty amazing as a fan, even better as far as documentation.
    'Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.' and this is an extraordinary tool.
    OK, I'm probably dense, and I know I'm lazy, and I'm preoccupied so can't look very closely right at the moment. Tell me how do you get a mileage for each pin?

Quote Originally Posted by Rmcpeak View Post
    OK, I'm probably dense, and I know I'm lazy, and I'm preoccupied so can't look very closely right at the moment. Tell me how do you get a mileage for each pin?
    Rmcpeak, so far, only mileages for red pins are up there. That's because I too am lazy and they were easiest to grab off of my split sheet. Despite all Just Bill's hyperbole, this beta version tracker has plenty of room for improvements.

If for example, there was a way to automatically calculate distance of each pin by trail from Big K in the feeder spreadsheet, that would be awesome. As is, I've been happy to since learn about Linesman's app and the map's ability to quickly spit out coordinates and mileages in just a few clicks. Cross-checking these two maps might be the quickest way to do what you're asking at the moment. Though surely there's a more sophisticated solution.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew.d.kirk View Post
    Rmcpeak, so far, only mileages for red pins are up there. That's because I too am lazy and they were easiest to grab off of my split sheet. Despite all Just Bill's hyperbole, this beta version tracker has plenty of room for improvements.

If for example, there was a way to automatically calculate distance of each pin by trail from Big K in the feeder spreadsheet, that would be awesome. As is, I've been happy to since learn about Linesman's app and the map's ability to quickly spit out coordinates and mileages in just a few clicks. Cross-checking these two maps might be the quickest way to do what you're asking at the moment. Though surely there's a more sophisticated solution.
    Yeah, not trivial to figure a trail distance from a GPS waypoint, that's for sure... Loved your book by the way. I'm in awe of you guys. 35 miles is a huge day for me. And forget more than a couple in a row.

Yeah, not trivial to figure a trail distance from a GPS waypoint, that's for sure... Loved your book by the way. I'm in awe of you guys. 35 miles is a huge day for me. And forget more than a couple in a row.
    Thank you for the complement. I'm in awe of Joe M. and Joey C!

Back to brainstorming a solution for assigning mileage to all pins on this map. One idea I had involved outsourcing the work to fellow spectators . Google sheets allows one sheet to be public while others remain private. Mileages could be entered into a publicly editable sheet by whomever. The data could appear on map via reference functions in other sheets... Maybe worth a try.

"Hyperbole"... why I never herd such outlandish talk Mister Kirk.

I would imagine that a bit of community nerd work with Linesman or others might allow you to get a spreadsheet with GPS coordinates per mile.
    That would give you a column to reference fer further fancy calcumalation of said point probably within a very reasonable tolerance... and it would cleanup linesman's issues in the process perhaps.

RMCpeak: I used my vast intellectual ability, several complicated electronic devices, intimate knowledge of the trail, followed by a deep stare at the map, the pin right at my favorite bar on the trail- and then looked in Awol's guide to get trail miles.

Gizmos are kewl. This one extra cool.
    But reading a map and a book are still pretty cool too.

Thank you for the complement. I'm in awe of Joe M. and Joey C!

Back to brainstorming a solution for assigning mileage to all pins on this map. One idea I had involved outsourcing the work to fellow spectators . Google sheets allows one sheet to be public while others remain private. Mileages could be entered into a publicly editable sheet by whomever. The data could appear on map via reference functions in other sheets... Maybe worth a try.
    Crowdsource it, yeah. Great idea. Probably the most effective way. I'll help.

Did you know that ReCaptcha are unrecognizable words from Google's (and others probably) book digitization projects? Words that can't be figured out by the computers are turned into ReCapchta images that are decoded in the course of zillions of people proving they are not robots.

If they can do that, we can do this!

Crowdsource it, yeah. Great idea. Probably the most effective way. I'll help.
    Well then, here you go: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...2OM/edit#gid=0
    Nerds unite!

If you had the AT centerline shapefile that could be fed into a GIS program such as ARCMap. If you entered the waypoint, you should be able to make ARCMap calculate the path distance between two waypoints using the AT centerline as the path. Probably could be done in TOPO USA too, the AT is probably in there reasonably accurately.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    If you had the AT centerline shapefile that could be fed into a GIS program such as ARCMap. If you entered the waypoint, you should be able to make ARCMap calculate the path distance between two waypoints using the AT centerline as the path. Probably could be done in TOPO USA too, the AT is probably in there reasonably accurately.
    You might need an elevation layer too, I'm not sure whether elevation is included on the centerline, it might only be 2D.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

Id be happy to make a quick (lat, lon) -> (trail, mile) page tomorrow.

Well then, here you go: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...2OM/edit#gid=0
    Nerds unite!
    Are we assuming the 2017 trail? As you know trail mileage and routing has changed slightly since her run.

Quote Originally Posted by Linesman View Post
    Id be happy to make a quick (lat, lon) -> (trail, mile) page tomorrow.
    And would it be useful to add a notes/source column to annotate details? AWOL, Guthook, etc?

Yeah, like that.

Alligator: you're several steps ahead, I like it. I'd imagine the next task would be to write a program to automatically feed coordinates from tracking and extract the mileage.

Linesman: that will be great. In anticipation of this being a useful tool for getting mileages, I added columns with Lat/long data in the crowdsourced mileage spreadsheet linked above.

Rmcpeak: good questions. I added columns for both source and year for mileage data (BTW, anyone can add columns etc., just don't delete columns A-E!). Let's call this additional info optional, it also won't appear on the map. I'm headed out of town for a couple days, so I hope all this works well and that Joey keeps cranking along.

Just Bill will monitor the map and can shut it off if things run amok.

Thanks again for your help.

Fun. I asked my wife if she wanted to see what I was working on. She declined.

Linesman: that will be great. In anticipation of this being a useful tool for getting mileages, I added columns with Lat/long data in the crowdsourced mileage spreadsheet linked above.
    On quick second thought, I wiped the lat/long. Priority is to protect Joey's hike. Please refer to mapalist map to get coordinates. Sorry.

Nice map, cool to see where Joey is compared to where Matt & Anish were. Nice job!

On another note, I saw where Joey posted these ramblings on day 13 on his Instagram page.
    ""Did you hear what I just heard? Could it have been a fiddle or maybe just the wind? There seems to be a beat now, I can feel it in my feet now!"

I thought I had heard these words before and I was right. Apparently, Joey is a Grateful Dead fan. The words are from the tune "The Music Never Stopped" and as long as I'm posting the lyrics here's the song too.
    Good tune to keep you rollin' down the trail.

Lookin at the tracking map Camps is still movin along pretty well. He's in southern PA and about 2 days ahead of Anish's record. I thought he might bail back at Swatara Gap but I guess he recovered some what.
    I figure at the end of day 26 he'll be at Rt 30 (mile 1077.8) and if he wants to beat Stringbeans estimated record of somewhere around 46 days Camps has 20 days left to do it which means Camps will have to average around 54 miles a day from here on out. Not impossible but will take a monumental effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Chair-man View Post
    Lookin at the tracking map Camps is still movin along pretty well. He's in southern PA and about 2 days ahead of Anish's record. I thought he might bail back at Swatara Gap but I guess he recovered some what.
    I figure at the end of day 26 he'll be at Rt 30 (mile 1077.8) and if he wants to beat Stringbeans estimated record of somewhere around 46 days Camps has 20 days left to do it which means Camps will have to average around 54 miles a day from here on out. Not impossible but will take a monumental effort.
    Joey's doing incredible all things considered. His quad injury is reminiscent of Jurek. Even then looking great for a sub 50 which was the plan, Karl's time was a goal but looks like Stringbean is going to raise the bar here.
    Being a high school grad and carpenter, I always ferget the exact degree but much like Scott, Joey has a degree of some sort to do with kinesiology and it's gotten as much of a workout as Joey has at this point. He was doing a great job duct taping himself back together but that setback at Swatara was tough. Figured a bit less than Karl on the North end (he hit that) and then pushing Jen's times on the south end.

Healthy Joey... quite capable of 60's on the south end. Not quite healthy... monumental effort indeed. So the main question isn't so much his speed but his health. He's dangerously fast when he cuts loose.

It's going to take at least a gallon of Joey Juice

As of his last insty update (1048)...for number nerds.

He was -116.6 behind Jen and 113.8 behind Karl.
    It's been 9 days since his quad injury. Based upon mileage alone... it took Jurek about that long to recover from his and his next ten was a low to mid 50 average.

Joey got hurt early in the day and got a 10 mile day on that one, Jurek a bit later in the day with a 36 mile day.

Karl's midpoint south- 52.07 MPD average, Jen was about 49..5 but that's a hair off because of her finish. Karl finished at nearly a full final day.

Simple math on it- about 20 days even to make up 120 miles- he's looking mid to upper 50's average to pull it out.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++