WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Looking For Cheap and Very Light Rain Pants

Any recommendations for pants...other than Frogg Toggs?
    Thx

Inov8 rain pants - 3.5 ounces

7953478_max.jpg

I don't think $105 (list) counts as cheap.

For $19.99 you can get Frogg Toggs rain suit which includes a jacket as well as pants. My Frogg Togg pants were 150 g/5.0 oz before reducing them for my short legs.

How about home made silnylon rain kilt . Easy to make and cheep

thom

Frogg Toggs are indeed cheap and light, but very easily ripped or torn. Nothing wrong with them, just keep that in mind. I ripped the entire crotch in my first pair on the first day of a trip. Ended up with a duct tape patch but still functional.

Quote Originally Posted by soumodeler View Post
    Frogg Toggs are indeed cheap and light, but very easily ripped or torn. Nothing wrong with them, just keep that in mind. I ripped the entire crotch in my first pair on the first day of a trip. Ended up with a duct tape patch but still functional.
    The fact Frogg Toggs are easily ripped or torn is what's wrong with them. Be sure to have lots of duck tape with you.

Walmart often has nylon rain pants in the mens "active wear" department, usually in the fall. Which might be now, since they always change seasons well in advance. Their not going to be exceptionally light, but will be cheap and more durable then Frogg Toggs

The rain skirt also works. I'd make one out of light weight Tyvak instead of silnlyon though. I find the silnylon bleeds through at the knees where the pressure points are. To be effective, you also need gaiters.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    The fact Frogg Toggs are easily ripped or torn is what's wrong with them. Be sure to have lots of duck tape with you.

Walmart often has nylon rain pants in the mens "active wear" department, usually in the fall. Which might be now, since they always change seasons well in advance. Their not going to be exceptionally light, but will be cheap and more durable then Frogg Toggs

The rain skirt also works. I'd make one out of light weight Tyvak instead of silnlyon though. I find the silnylon bleeds through at the knees where the pressure points are. To be effective, you also need gaiters.
    Maybe silpoly would b a better choice for a rain skirt ??
    thom

Images

AntiGravityGear rain pants - 3.1 - 4.1 oz. $59.00 https://www.antigravitygear.com/shop...ht-rain-pants/

Lightheart Gear rain pants - 4.1 - 6.4 oz. $69.00 https://www.antigravitygear.com/shop...ht-rain-pants/

Watch Sierra Trading Post. I got a great pair of White Sierra rain pants for like $20. I fairly often see Marmot Precip pants in the $50 range there too.

I use these. 6.5 oz on my scale and cheap. Good enough and light.

https://www.amazon.com/White-Sierra-...nts&th=1&psc=1

Not exactly very cheap, but still reasonable priced, lightweight and functional:
    http://www.exped.com/germany/en/prod.../ponchos/chaps

Garlic
    Images

Another vote for silnylon pants, like the Antigravity referenced above or homemade. If you know someone good with a needle, they're apparently not that hard to make. A friend made a pair for me and they're great. They pack the size of a large fist.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Wildman View Post
    AntiGravityGear rain pants - 3.1 - 4.1 oz. $59.00 https://www.antigravitygear.com/shop...ht-rain-pants/

Lightheart Gear rain pants - 4.1 - 6.4 oz. $69.00 https://www.antigravitygear.com/shop...ht-rain-pants/

Do you use these pants? If so, are they reasonable durable?

-

as far as rainwear that is cheap, light, effective and durable - pick 2 - if one product had all 4, it would effectively control the market

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by spfleisig View Post
    Silnylon is reasonably durable, certainly for its weight. I've been using mine for many seasons now with no signs of wear.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

Quote Originally Posted by spfleisig View Post
    No, I don't use these rain pants, I have a pair of Mountain Hardwear rain pants that weigh almost 11 oz., I plan to buy either the Antigravitygear rain pants or the Zpacks rain pants since the ones I have are a little heavy for summer usage.

Sorry, not cheap (nor ridiculously expensive, either) but the Montane Minimus rain pants are the best I've used. Best thing is, they are not clammy like silnylon or other non-breathable materials so they can be used as rain and wind pants or any time a shell pant is needed.

I found the Velcro tab closures on the lower calf unnecessary so I cut them off, and also removed the elastic from the cuffs.

+1 on the rain kilt. I use the one linked below and it is one of my favorite pieces of equipment. It allows venting so I don't sweat, can be used to block wind, and also serves as a pack cover in camp.

The size large covers nearly my entire legs, weighs 3.2 oz and only costs $30.

https://www.ula-equipment.com/product_p/rain-kilt.htm

++ New Posts ++