WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Will this work?

Default Will this work?

I have a goose down 40 degree top quilt and a friend has a 40 degree duck down top quilt if I insert one in the other can I expect to be okay in winter conditions on the AT? Like maybe 10 degrees to 0 degrees? They both are listed as 30 ounces in weight..I am trying to keep from buying a $300 plus dollar top quilt....

Images

Have you looked at Hammock Gear Econ line?

Rough rule of thumb is you need 3" loft to be comfortable at 0 degrees. I used a 20 degree TQ and only had two nights down in the teens and one in single digits. I simply put the rest of my clothes on and was fine.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Images

Presumably you are using a hammock for comfort so don't compromise that by using inadequate insulation.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

This link says "probably". Only you will know for sure. Real world testing is needed.
    Are you sleeping on the ground or in a hammock? Ground insulation, R-5 works for most people, should be part of the sleeping system.
    https://support.enlightenedequipment...bile_site=true
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Journal Entries

No
    You might be OK down to 25 in my opinion if they are large enough and you can keep them together
    My experimentation layering quilts...it works...with caveat ...its not easy to keep things together
    I had ICE between quilt layers in the teens. cold air gets in there. Yes indeed.
    The footbox isnt big enough to stuff one in other without compressing , so bad things can be expected there

Since you posted in the hammock forum, I assume that is what you will be using? What do you have as an under quilt? That's got to be good down to 10 or 0 too if you expect it to get that cold. Anyway, I'd only trust doubled up 40's to be good to 20. The inner quilt probably won't fully fluff out due to the outer quilt restricting it, so you'll loose some warmth there. Since quilts don't have hoods, you'll want a down hat too.

If you just want to live through a 0 degree night, that's one thing. If you want to get some actual sleep, that's quite another. Then your talking a -15 set up.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

++ New Posts ++