WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Sep SOBO LT Gear (10.6 and 9.9 lbs base wts). Anybody else got their gear together?

My girlfriend and I will be thru-hiking the Long Trail in September of 2017 starting at the northern border and going south. Attached are a few GearGrams links with our gear that we are taking. This gear list is pretty similar to our 2016 Colorado Trail thru-hike except that we are taking less sun protective clothing on the Long Trail (no sun sleeves, no OR Sunrunner Hat etc). We have also added an Anker 6700 mAh battery so that I can take more pictures and videos with my phone.

Base weights are 10.6 lbs and 9.9 lbs. Suggestions or comments are welcome

We could cut a little more weight by taking a lighter tent but I got the Fly Creek HV for a really good deal; I also trust this tent since I used an older model on the Colorado Trail. If we hiked solo we would only gain about .33 lbs by taking a single wall 1 person tent and picking up the shared gear that the other person is carrying. Also, this gear is for 2 relatively small humans, so lots of weights are for size small. Anybody else got their gear sorted out for a SOBO thru (or NOBO)?

Hipbone: https://www.geargrams.com/list?id=43392
    MtnGoat: https://www.geargrams.com/list?id=43393

Your probably not going to need the headnet.

You'll be using your headlamp a lot. It gets dark inside the lodges early and stays dark well past sunrise. I often find I'm doing the last mile to the shelter in the dark that time of year, or close to it. I'm always setting up camp and cooking in the dark. So make sure it has good battery life.

It's probably a good idea to have a small auxiliary flashlight too. Having a couple of candles is also nice. They give an old school ambiance to a cabin with the flickering candle light. Before LED flashlights and headlamps, candles were our primary night time light source in the evening.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Your probably not going to need the headnet.

You'll be using your headlamp a lot. It gets dark inside the lodges early and stays dark well past sunrise. I often find I'm doing the last mile to the shelter in the dark that time of year, or close to it. I'm always setting up camp and cooking in the dark. So make sure it has good battery life.

It's probably a good idea to have a small auxiliary flashlight too. Having a couple of candles is also nice. They give an old school ambiance to a cabin with the flickering candle light. Before LED flashlights and headlamps, candles were our primary night time light source in the evening.
    A candle might be a good addition for shelter ambiance...might consider adding this

Or you could use this:

https://mpowerd.com/products/luci-emrg

Great ambiance, 2.4 oz, but not sure if it would charge in the green tunnel.

++ New Posts ++