WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: JMT Footwear

Default JMT Footwear

Hello all, I'm leaving for a NOBO JMT thru on 8/8 out of horseshoe meadows and the only gear question I am trying to figure out now is footwear. I am planning on doing a lot of fishing along the way so i will be at least carrying a pair of tevas as my camp/fishing shoe and I'm wondering if I could get away with hiking in those. I have hiked the LT and with the rockyness of that trail there is no way i would want to do it in tevas but my research has told me that the JMT is easier on the feet. Anyone have any input or better yet has anyone hiked the JMT or sections in just teva style sandals?
    Thanks!

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

While the bulk of the trail is pretty smooth hiking, it is the ice you have to prepare for.
    Even last year, a drought year, there were small sections of ice that had to be negotiated... and I do mean ice
    The stuff might have fallen as snow, but after months of partial thawing and freezing, what's left now is ice.
    Last year, I never had to hike more than a few hundred feet of ice near the passes. With the big snowfall this year, I expect you will have to traverse much longer ice sections.

Journal Entries

I saw people hike in sandals, it can be done

But its a very dirty dusty dry trail
    I had to rinse socks about every 10 miles
    I could feel foot abrasion from the dirt buildup

Images

The dust is a killer, well maybe not a killer but a serious blisterer. You could just take a pair of trail runners and use them for everything or add the weight of Tevas.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

JMT is greater in overall rockiness miles than the LT. If you didn't want to go with TEVAs on the LT to hike in don't do it on the JMT.

Is the JMT more groomed overall and fewer rocks than the AT? Those damn rocks on the AT...they never quit.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JPritch View Post
    Is the JMT more groomed overall and fewer rocks than the AT? Those damn rocks on the AT...they never quit.
    Its graded for stock
    So tread is flatter
    Your not climbing rock stairsteps or water bars

Both trails are maintained. JMT has much higher overall avg elev making much more of it above tree line. Vegetation is different with the JMT brush and forest more open overall than the JMT.

Personally I use trail runners with an UL kit on both trails. I have a strong lower body with no joint or musculoskeletal or other medical issues.

Trail Runners is what I used to thru the JMT in 2016. Base Weight max was 25 lbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The JMT isn't as rocky as the LT in terms of loose rock. But it still has rocks. Despite claims to the contrary, it also has stairs (Golden Staircase as an example). But they are much milder and each step is longer to make it easier for stock.

People have hiked it in sandals. But as others mentioned, it won't be fun if there is still snow on the high passes. I personally prefer to use trail runners in the Sierra and the front of them shows some abuse from kicking things.

The only parts that are rough on the feet are the areas where the park service has repaired the trails and put down baseball sized gravel that will eventually get worked in. The only natural
    parts that are tough is the north side of Muir Pass. The rock turns to metamorphic rock with sharp edges and angles. This pretty much only lasts until you descend to the next valley. I think tevas might actually make Yosemite a little easier in the feet since all that pumice sand will have a place to fall out and not run your feet raw.

Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Quote Originally Posted by Turk6177 View Post
    The only parts that are rough on the feet are the areas where the park service has repaired the trails and put down baseball sized gravel that will eventually get worked in. The only natural
    parts that are tough is the north side of Muir Pass. The rock turns to metamorphic rock with sharp edges and angles. This pretty much only lasts until you descend to the next valley. I think tevas might actually make Yosemite a little easier in the feet since all that pumice sand will have a place to fall out and not run your feet raw.

Sorry. I meant the south side of muir pass

Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Thank you all for your opinions, I'm going to start the trail with both and try to do some hiking in the tevas and then if i want ill send my trail runners home when i pick up my first mail drop. Sitting in LAX right now waiting on my last flight of the day into mammoth lakes! Hope to see some of you out there!

I bought some NB LeadVille's and put some SuperFeet Green's in them. Man, my feet feel so good while hiking now. Only problem is, the heel is wide and the shoe is sloppy laterally. Hiking out here on the AT this past weekend was an exercise in avoiding turning my ankle. I am hoping the somewhat better terrain on the JMT will make this less of an issue.

Shoe fit is an individual thing. I personally have been using NB Leadville's with superfeet in the Sierra for the past few years and love them. Don't have any issue with the heel. I will be using them for my JMT hike in 5 weeks.

They don't really have that last eyelet further back like most shoes do, so I'm gonna add my own and see if that helps me lock them in better, in conjunction with heel lock lacing.

++ New Posts ++