WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

This is a quote from a pdf file on pressure cooking with home style units:

At no time should the pressure be allowed to rise above 15 P.S.I. Excess pressure should be decreased by turning heat down. Remember, it is the amount of heat applied to the unit that regulates the pressure.
    So, the pressure inside the Keith cooker will rise until such time as the heat is turned down or the water evaporates completely.

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    This is a quote from a pdf file on pressure cooking with home style units:

So, the pressure inside the Keith cooker will rise until such time as the heat is turned down or the water evaporates completely.
    Keith Ti6300 900ml Titanium Pot Foldable Handle Multipurpose Titanium Rice Cooker

It is a simple rice steamer, it is NOT a pressure cooker

In the Q&A on this link
    https://www.amazon.com/Keith-Titaniu.../dp/B01N0E2LT1

Question: Does this come with some sort of pressure regulator as seen on youtube?

Answer: Keith Titanium Multifunctional Cooker has two versions, standard and upgraded.
    The only difference is that the upgraded version has the pressure regulator you mentioned.
    The upgraded version is for regions with altitude higher than 13,000 feet.
    The standard version has been tested on mountains higher than 13,000 feet.
    Even though the standard version is very popular now, we won't produce the upgraded version until 2019 because we think the market demand for it is very low.
    Thanks!
    By KEITH TITANIUM USA SELLER on January 30, 2017

Question: Will the cooker reach high pressure(does it act as a pressure cooker) without the pressure regulator or will it let the steam out like a normal pot?

Answer: The cooker still lets the steam out but reaches slightly higher pressure than a normal pot.
    By KEITH TITANIUM USA SELLER on June 20, 2017

I cook rice and lentis on the trail with a regular pot with no problems. Here is my recipe. Mix 75 g each of lentils and rice. The secret is to use basmati rice and red lentils. They both cook fast. Add two cups of water, olive oil (I don't measure - use as much as you want ), salt, and curry powder. Spent with dried veggies (optional). Bring to boil with my alcohol stove (about 16 ml of fuel in about 5 minutes). After it comes to boil, extinguish the stove and put the pot in a pot cozy and let set for 15 to 20 minutes. Eat. Adjust recipe as desired. So my answer is no, a pressure cooker is not necessary.

Images

The Keith Titanium cooker is for "Pampered Chefs" It bakes, boils and steam cooks(low pressure)

Let the inner pot stay there as you eat contents...it's like having it in a double wall cozzy
    Last edited by zelph; 08-03-2017 at 01:20.

Images

Mine arrived today and the first test was for the silicone seal on the lid.I filled the pot, closed the lid clamps, applied a small waterproof band aid to steam vent hole, turned it upside down and shook it with vigor………….amazing, no leaks :-)This means I can put my beans and water in the pot to soak all day while I hike. It’s not just a cooker, it’s a BOT and a soaker. You’ve seen in one of the videos that you can bake in it….it’s an oven.

.DSCF3662.JPGDSCF3663.JPG
    [/COLOR]

Journal Entries
    Images

Ooo, cool! Is it possible to put a ridge on it?
    Mine arrived today and the first test was for the silicone seal on the lid.I filled the pot, closed the lid clamps, applied a small waterproof band aid to steam vent hole, turned it upside down and shook it with vigor………….amazing, no leaks :-)This means I can put my beans and water in the pot to soak all day while I hike. It’s not just a cooker, it’s a BOT and a soaker. You’ve seen in one of the videos that you can bake in it….it’s an oven.

.DSCF3662.JPGDSCF3663.JPG
    [/COLOR]
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptainkriz View Post
    Yes, the ridge comes next, maybe tomorrow afternoon. This little cooker is evolving

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptainkriz View Post
    Yesterday I had the time to do the ridge, turned out nice. Now for the windscreen/stabilizer.

DSCF3664.JPG

Yesterday I had the time to do the ridge, turned out nice. Now for the windscreen/stabilizer.

DSCF3664.JPG
    how do you put on ridge and what is the advantage.

Images

I made a machine that puts the ridge on it. I make a windscreen/pot stabilizer that fits under the ridge. Stove goes inside the windscreen.

Toaks 550 and 650.PNG

Journal Entries
    Images

Is the diameter of the 550 and the steamer the same?
    I made a machine that puts the ridge on it. I make a windscreen/pot stabilizer that fits under the ridge. Stove goes inside the windscreen.

Toaks 550 and 650.PNG
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Images

No, unfortunately :-( the steamer is a little bit larger.

Images

This morning I boiled 2 cups of water in the outer portion of the cooker using my kitchen stove while I put a ziploc in the inner pot of the cooker. In the ziploc I put 1 cup dehydrated beef cubes and 1 cup pre cooked rice. Rice was not cooked in the Keith cooker. I then poured 2 cups water in the ziploc, then I put the container with ziploc inside the outer portion of the cooker, secured the lid onto it and let it sit for 10 min. Opened it and food was ready to eat. I should have put in 2 cups of rice to thicken it :-)Finished eating and threw away the used ziploc…….no dirty dishes to wash :-)I transferred the silicone gasket from inner pot to the lid and it sealed perfect.
    DSCF3667.JPG

This morning I boiled 2 cups of water in the outer portion of the cooker using my kitchen stove while I put a ziploc in the inner pot of the cooker. In the ziploc I put 1 cup dehydrated beef cubes and 1 cup pre cooked rice. Rice was not cooked in the Keith cooker. I then poured 2 cups water in the ziploc, then I put the container with ziploc inside the outer portion of the cooker, secured the lid onto it and let it sit for 10 min. Opened it and food was ready to eat. I should have put in 2 cups of rice to thicken it :-)Finished eating and threw away the used ziploc…….no dirty dishes to wash :-)I transferred the silicone gasket from inner pot to the lid and it sealed perfect.
    DSCF3667.JPG
    What size ziplock fits snug like that? I like this option, don't need an additional cozy.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kestral View Post
    What size ziplock fits snug like that? I like this option, don't need an additional cozy.
    It was a Kmart "smart sense" sandwich bag, sorry! 6.5"x 5-7/8"

Yes, it acts as a cozy. I'll make a windscreen for it on Tuesday.

The water in a pressure cooker gets much hotter standard boiling temperatures. That is the whole idea behind pressure cooking. (PV=nRT)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by KDogg View Post
    The water in a pressure cooker gets much hotter standard boiling temperatures. That is the whole idea behind pressure cooking. (PV=nRT)
    The steam temperature coming out of the pot is 105C (v.s 100 C when not under any pressure)

The following info comes from google concerning home pressure canners/cookers:

Pressure Cooking Temperature
    5 lbs. 228° F 107°C (the Keith pot is 105C)
    10 lbs. 240° F 113°C
    15 lbs. 250° F 118°C
    When the pressure cooker
    reaches the proper temperature,
    the pressure regulator weight
    will jiggle audibly, and you can
    see the steam being released.
    The pressure will be automatically
    maintained for proper pressure
    cooking.

Images

Tomorrow morning I'll try cooking some steel cut oatmeal. I much prefer it over regular.

Images

I use Hawkins pressure cookers all the time at home for rice or beans. For home use I use the stainless steel pressure cookers in a couple of sizes, but they are heavy. The lighter aluminum Hawkins work as well. I am 'mostly' vegetarian and this makes cooking easier. On a long hike with limited resupply, I would carry a 1.5 liter aluminum Hawkins pressure cooker. The main advantage is healthier meals at low cost. Using dehydrated food and regular pots would probably be lighter. I have a food allergy, so I would have to dehydrate my own food.

Years ago, the was a trip report in the AMC magazine where an Indian-American hike leader used a pressure cooker that he said was 1 pound, but I suspect that he meant 1 kg. There are two versions of the 1.5L Hawkins pressure cooker:
    the classic (aluminum) 1.28 kg for 1.5L, 1.5kg for 2L. http://www.hawkinscookers.com/1.1.1.hawkinsclassic.asp This is available on Amazon.
    the Miss Mary (aluminum) 1.13 kg for 1.5L, 1.36 kg for 2.5L. http://www.hawkinscookers.com/1.1.10.missmary.asp
    I've never seen the lighter Miss Mary for sale in the USA, perhaps in Israel you could find it. I suspect that there are lighter ones available in India, but haven't been able to find them online. You could lighten these pressure cookers a little bit.

Here is a lighter pressure cooker from ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Snowline-New...m1851#shpCntId
    This is 20cm diameter X 15.5 cm tall, probably over 3L capacity (BUT YOU CANNOT FILL A PRESSURE COOKER ALL THE WAY, you need to leave an air space, you can cook perhaps 2L at a time under pressure) It is only 805 grams = 28.4 oz. I know nothing about this Snowline pressure cooker.

Hiking in Israel would be very interesting. A friend has hiked in the Sinai with her late husband (Israeli) before Israel returned the sinai to Egypt. One of the Bedouin guides made her husband an offer for her (I forget how many camels he was offering).

Images

I had to take a look and see how the handles worked on the hawkins :-)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++