WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Camp shoes and shower shoes

Hello all. Any recommendations for lightweight camp footwear that can also be used for foot protection in potentially unsanitary showers?

Pretty much anything will work. I use a pair of cheap flip flops from Walmart. They weigh less than 7 ounces for the pair. Less than $10.

You might also keep in mind stream crossings. Ordinary flip-flops won't remain on your feet under these circumstances, but Crocs or some better-quality sandals hold onto the backs of your heels. It makes sense to use your wet (shower) footwear for stream fords so your trail shoes stay dry.

Images

I use these: Vivobarefoot Ultra-Pure M Shoes – 9.6
    ounces for the pair in size 12.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RuthN View Post
    Hello all. Any recommendations for lightweight camp footwear that can also be used for foot protection in potentially unsanitary showers?
    Potentially???

I treat every shower that I don't personally clean as a haven for athlete's foot. For camp/shower shoes I bought a cheap pair of knock off Crocs at Dollar General(I call them Croc-offs), removed the straps, gored a larger hole in each side so my carabiner will fit, and use those for camp & shower.

More protection for doing camp chores than flip flops. Mine weigh 8.1 oz and I think I paid $10 for them. However, I only use them if I'm out for more than 2 days and the wx is forecast for better than 50% chance of rain.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

The cheapest and lightest option for a shower is to remove the insoles from your shoes and attach them to your feet using 2 elastic hair bands (That's my plan A)

Cheap heavy duty flip flops (with the nylon toe straps) work great. They take up less space than Crocs, are more airy, but can will still hold up during a serious stream crossing.

Oh, and the flip-flop design makes them far better shower shoes than Crocs or water shoes.

Journal Entries
    Images

I've been using a pair of beach shoes but they're starting to wear out. I like the closed toe for protection and the heel cup for staying on. I might be interested in these.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post
    I've been using a pair of beach shoes but they're starting to wear out. I like the closed toe for protection and the heel cup for staying on. I might be interested in these.
    Post four above.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

The worst looking shower I ran into on the trail... drained slowly. So I had to stand in a few inches of water. No shoe would have helped. Rather than attempt to carry shower shoes, I just used an alcohol wipe immediately after sketchy showers.

I'm not convinced that most shower shoes really do all that much. Even if it's properly draining, you still get splash up from the floor.

I always carry a small tube of antifungal cream. After I shower, whether using shower shoes or not, I will apply the ointment to the toes.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Quote Originally Posted by Bansko View Post
    Oh, and the flip-flop design makes them far better shower shoes than Crocs or water shoes.
    Until you kick a rock after dark and knock off a toe nail. But at least you saved two ounces.

Default It's not the ounces

Quote Originally Posted by cneill13 View Post
    Until you kick a rock after dark and knock off a toe nail. But at least you saved two ounces.
    I started with some Croc knock offs, but they rubbed my skin raw. I much prefer a flip-flop design, and never stubbed my tow (of course, you do have to walk a little more carefully).

Tow=toe of course

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Wildman View Post
    I use these: Vivobarefoot Ultra-Pure M Shoes – 9.6 ounces for the pair in size 12.
    1. Anyone know where these can be purchased now-a-days?... especially the 3rd generation of them.

2. How are they for hiking the trail?
    I've been on trail sections where you keep having to cross the same creek over and over... like once every 1/4 mile. I've tried hiking those short distances in the water shoes I own, but you feel every little stick and twig (and some of the pointier ones can hurt).

3. For those who don't have the $$ to drop on Vivobarefoot (~$60-80 I think), for about the same weight, Bass Pro Shop has these for about $20 (found mine years ago at a WalMart for about $10).

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    1. Anyone know where these can be purchased now-a-days?... especially the 3rd generation of them.

2. How are they for hiking the trail?
    I've been on trail sections where you keep having to cross the same creek over and over... like once every 1/4 mile. I've tried hiking those short distances in the water shoes I own, but you feel every little stick and twig (and some of the pointier ones can hurt).

3. For those who don't have the $$ to drop on Vivobarefoot (~$60-80 I think), for about the same weight, Bass Pro Shop has these for about $20 (found mine years ago at a WalMart for about $10).
    I bought mine online. The newest generation doesn't have removable insoles, so you can't remove them to save a little weight. I hated mine, they felt cold and clammy and trapped moisture, which was the last thing I wanted in a camp shoe after a day on the trail. I left mine in a hiker box.

I ended up with a pair of canvas topped Kushe shoes, that I loved. I tried to keep mine dry, but it was no big deal if they did get wet as they dried fairly quickly.

I just use Crocs for both.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by flemdawg1 View Post
    I just use Crocs for both.
    Crocs can weigh as much as a pound.

I'm sure with that extra weight comes a level of comfort I don't get with the Bass Pro Show water shoes... but then all gear choices have various trade-offs.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++