WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

So...this is my first ever post. Bear with me. I'm just a section hiker. First question: what is a lasher? I did up too Va this spring. Second question: if the magic issue is about letting people do what they want then isn't letting hikers hike mean leaving them on there own? We drove up to the museum when I stopped and checked it out. And I read up on the trail first. I missed where on here on in my research it say that the trail is for big picnics or parties etc. I know this is a hot button thing but isn't the policy the policy? I did pass people giving stuff away and some of them seem upset when I didn't stop. I didn't need anything. I was unsure and thought they selling snacks etc. I read the thread and can't figure out what the is the rule? Thanks. That is my second question I guess. I wanted to quote the Rabbit but couldn't figure it out. Third question is why should hikers hike someplace else? The trail is supposed to be highly social? I'm missing something and don't want to debate just learn thanks.

Long Ass Section Hiker. LASH'er

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    On every trip since I was eleven.

(Though this is a replacement, I lost the first
    one between highschool and college.)

Attachment 39976
    Then maybe you can point me in the right direction. Is this the Just a Hiker thread, the Move, it's My Shelter thread, or the Don't Feed the Hiker thread?

Thanks! I am a lasher and didn't know it I guess. Down here we all are and nobody is going to roll up and feed you. I gave the AT trail a try cause the towns were so close. Not like here either. But it lacks something in getting away from it all.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    more than 99% of feeds, give aways, etc will be at towns or road crossings
    If that is the case, why is the ATC especially concerned with the less than 1% P-- rather than the 99%+ that have changed the thru hiking experience so dramatically.

I am thinking they really are, but just don't have the stones to say feeds in towns and at road crossings have a great impact.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    Then maybe you can point me in the right direction. Is this the Just a Hiker thread, the Move, it's My Shelter thread, or the Don't Feed the Hiker thread?
    It's all a lead-up to the rollout of our new "You kids get off my lawn!" Sub forum.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

The Green Mountain Club, who is the maintaining group for the AT in Vermont, is sponsoring "hiker trail magic day" August 5th. Members will be at many trailheads in Vermont passing out trail magic. Hope they will be promoting the concept of volunteering for trail maintenance too.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Finally a step in the right direction by preserving and protecting the intellectual property (so to speak) know as "trail magic"

Default Some history

Thankfully, feeds in the backcountry are not as dominant as they were when we first started developing the trail magic suggestions 10-12 years ago.

The thought then was that feeds in developed and hardened areas would not have a significant impact in comparison to the backcountry feeds at remote and pristine sites, where plants were being trampled, soil was being compacted, and those who did not want to participate could not avoid the large gatherings, especially at overnight sites. Volunteers sometimes had to clean up a big mess and carry out trash a significant distance. I do think the suggestions have helped with that.

ATC does recognize that the 2007 "suggestions" do not go far enough in addressing the feeds of today and the social repercussions. (In fact, this is one of the main reasons we haven't promoted the 2007 suggestions more aggressively.) Feeds have proliferated far beyond what few people could have imagined 10 years ago. In 2007, the number of thru-hikers had been declining for 7 years in a row.

We are working on providing more guidance, but it is challenging, with divergent opinions and perspectives among ATC leadership, as well as volunteer maintaining clubs, agencies, and A.T. Community partners.

I believe we'll get there, though.

WhiteBlaze.net members (with some crossover with ALDHA) contributed to the development of the 2007 suggestions, mostly indirectly, but the language of at least one suggestion was crafted by one of WBs most active members.

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

If you have been around very long, you will understand when I write. "Wingfoot would totally agree."
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SawnieRobertson View Post
    If you have been around very long, you will understand when I write. "Wingfoot would totally agree."

Yes he would agree but I imagine many of the other changes in hiker habits since his "retirement" would drive him crazy...starting with cell phones !!!
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Trail Magic has gotten out of hand. I know the people donating/staging TM mean well, and hikers are always up for candy bars, burgers or cold drinks, but I feel it has become disruptive to the A.T. experience.
    virgil

Where have these large "feeds" been occurring this year? How many have there been?

I can't say that I've ever run into a feed put on in a remote or pristine location. They have always been at or near the side of a road.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by virgil View Post
    Trail Magic has gotten out of hand. I know the people donating/staging TM mean well, and hikers are always up for candy bars, burgers or cold drinks, but I feel it has become disruptive to the A.T. experience.
    Trail magic (in the form of feeds) has become part of the AT experience. But even that depends on timing. If your in the last week of March to first week of April bubble, you'll probably run into a lot of hiker feeds, especially through GA and a little bit in NC. After that, you got to wait until Trail Days.

Otherwise, your probably not going to see much in way of free food. Just the random encounter of someone set up on the side of the road for the afternoon. How can that ruin your AT experience?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

The way I see it, they put up signs saying "Don't feed the bears", because the fear is that bears will become accustomed to handouts and stop looking for food by natural means. The same logic can be applied to hikers.
    It's all good in the woods.

ATC should consider posting a link to the article on the Appalachian Trail Section Hikers Facebook page. That would reach some folks who show great interest in hosting hiker feeds and meeting thru hikers.
    Springer to Katahdin: 1991-2018

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Otherwise, your probably not going to see much in way of free food. Just the random encounter of someone set up on the side of the road for the afternoon. How can that ruin your AT experience?
    As several of us have posted, it does ruin our experience when these self titled "angels" interrupt our hikes by calling us over only to then tell us that because we're section hikers we're not worthy of participating in their little gathering. I know that not all of them do this, but when they do I consider it to be both an insult to me personally and an affront to the respect camaraderie that is so common on the trail.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I can only think of one "donations suggested" hiker feed I've seen that you couldn't drive to...that was Mala in NC about 10 or 12 years ago.

There are plenty of hiker feeds that go on everyday that you can't drive to in the Whites, but you have to pay for those.

I personally love the food in the Whites. Always much better than the crap I carry.

I"ve always enjoyed feeds and trail magic. I believe I've only ever seen one person walk on by a feed or trail magic without getting at least something.
    It's different here on the forums where a majority of people don't seem to like them.

My personal feelings are that the forum people will continue mostly complaining about them and the hiking people will continue to appreciate people's kindness.
    Stumpknocker
    Appalachian Trail is 35.9% complete.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I think the issue that ATC has with trail magic is the leave it types of trail magic. Leaving water bottles/jugs by trailheads, beer or soda in streams/shelters/trailheads. or coolers of snacks/food along the trail.

If someone had easy access to it and picked up the stuff daily, there would be no issue. But people leaving jugs for days or leaving it with no intention to pick it up, then the ATC has issues.

But having hiker feeds at trailheads is only an issue if they are leaving trash. I don't mind the feeds being at locations in between long stretches or at major trailheads. But a feed within a days walk past a town is nonsense.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lauriep View Post
    In 2007, the number of thru-hikers had been declining for 7 years in a row.
    interesting, if i was ever aware of that ive long since forgotten.

i wonder what in 2007 started an upswing? when did a walk in the woods (the book, not the movie) become popular?

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++