WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Trail Conditions

Howdy all,

I'll be on the LT in one week (8/4/17), hiking SOBO from Journey's End to Maine Junction/Rt. 4 to finish my second of two sections of LT.

I'm sitting here in Western New York, pretty much chest deep in water from this wash of a summer we've been having, looking forward to going to Vermont to dry out! Right!?

Anyway, how about a general trail report for LT July 2017? Let's just compare it to average- is it cooler? buggier? busier? wetter?

Thanks.

Bueller? Bueller? Anyone, Bueller?

my guess
    Vermud
    take extra socks!

There is a very good chance I'll be starting a SOBO of the LT getting to Burlington from NYC (I live in NJ) either 8/3 or 8/4 - what did you figure out for getting to Jouneys End? Thanks!

Occasionally lucid

FWIW I will be heading north from US 2 to Canada starting AUG 3.
    GA -> ME
    '86 -> '89

Quote Originally Posted by ssorck View Post
    There is a very good chance I'll be starting a SOBO of the LT getting to Burlington from NYC (I live in NJ) either 8/3 or 8/4 - what did you figure out for getting to Jouneys End? Thanks!
    My parents decided to visit my brother in Maine, so they're going to drop me off at Journey's End on the way from Western NY. A lucky break, because I had no solid plan until they offered.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

"summer" in VT so far has been cooler, buggier, wetter, and normally busy. who knows what next week will bring?

A lot of the rain has been hit or miss, though, you may not get rained on that much, but you'll know it rained.

Water should not be a problem!

Default Aug 4 or 5

I was out just North of Stratton this w/e and there was more mud than is typical, but I've seen it worse.

BTW: I'm planning to start on the 4th or 5th - still waiting on the weather to figure which, since if weather is good on the 4th I'll start out with a few weekenders before heading off on my own. I may run into a few people on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    "summer" in VT so far has been cooler, buggier, wetter, and normally busy. who knows what next week will bring?

A lot of the rain has been hit or miss, though, you may not get rained on that much, but you'll know it rained.

Water should not be a problem!
    I called the GMC yesterday and had a nice chat with Amy (I think). She confirms this statement.

Good possibility I'll be starting on the 5th. Just a question of when I get up there...

I was going to start on the 5th, but the forecast has moved me to the 6th. It's one thing to hit crap weather along the way, and another to start out in it:

"Saturday. A chance of showers and thunderstorms before noon, then showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm between noon and 4pm, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms after 4pm. Some of the storms could produce small hail, gusty winds, and heavy rain. Mostly cloudy, \with a high near 72. South wind 10 to 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New rainfall amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible."

Pictures posted by thru hikers in the Stratton Mt area today show massive mud holes. Looks like all the traffic has really chewed up the trail.

But it was somewhere up around Jay Peak that I sunk my poles down nearly to the handles in a mud puddle, as I was teetering on a log in the middle of it and trying not to fall in. Eventually you'll be glad your going steeply up or down hill, as that means your not trying to cross a bog.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

++ New Posts ++