WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Looking for a freeze dried lentle source.

Chicken, re fried beans and other stuff -- easy.

Lentles? Not finding them.

Any ideas?

Maybe it is an artifact of location services interface with the searches?

Harmony House has them.

Quote Originally Posted by swisscross View Post
    Harmony House has them.
    I would second Harmony House. I bought the backpacker kit - beans and vegetables. All good
    The older I get, the faster I hiked.

Are those freeze dried lentils cooked before freeze drying?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    Are those freeze dried lentils cooked before freeze drying?
    For those of us not so well versed, can you explain why you ask this, and why it makes a difference? I assume precooked would make it better, but I'm not certain.

Quote Originally Posted by scrabbler View Post
    For those of us not so well versed, can you explain why you ask this, and why it makes a difference? I assume precooked would make it better, but I'm not certain.
    Question #2:
    Are the lentils freeze dried or merely dehydrated?
    What are the package preparation directions? In other words, do they require cooking?
    Just curious. Freeze dried refried beans work for me.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Dehydrated lentil soup(or so it's called) found in bilk bins at many larger health food stores is what I use when wanting precooked dried lentils as an ingredient in a trail ready dinner. It's the same with many of the dehydrated black bean soup mixes. Don't let the soup label throw you off. They can be used in a dish that is not a soup. There may be some seasonality to finding these.

I ask because I have my own freeze dryer but have yet to do lentils. Normally I cook everything first and then freeze dry it. You can see my results thus far by following the link in my signature. I was also wondering about consistency of the product after freeze drying.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Add Packit Gourmet to the list.
    Already cooked.
    https://www.packitgourmet.com/Lentils.html
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Dehydrated lentil soup(or so it's called) found in bilk bins at many larger health food stores is what I use when wanting precooked dried lentils as an ingredient in a trail ready dinner. It's the same with many of the dehydrated black bean soup mixes. Don't let the soup label throw you off. They can be used in a dish that is not a soup. There may be some seasonality to finding these.

Thank you. That really helps in finding what I need.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Hmm, I've never minded simply dehydrated lentils. Does freeze drying result in better quality?

Home dehydrating lentils is pretty easy, even without a dehydrator, since they're small enough that they don't need great air circulation. Spread baking parchment over a couple of cookie sheets, spread out the cooked lentils, put them in the oven on the lowest setting ('Warm' is fine) for a few hours. If they rattle when you pour them off the sheet, they're done. Store in Mason jars - don't worry about sealing the jars, just keep the lids on so moisture won't get in.

Some sort of dal bhaat tarkari is one of my staple dinners on the trail. Hey, it fuels the Sherpas, how bad can it be for hiking?
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    Some sort of dal bhaat tarkari is one of my staple dinners on the trail. Hey, it fuels the Sherpas, how bad can it be for hiking?
    Can you post your recipe? Looking online I see a popular one with about 25 unique ingredients. That's a nope.

Freeze dried and pre cooked --add boiling water and wait 30 seconds and you can eat them.

Many dehydtared ones want you to cook them thirty minutes.

I'm not exited about a backpacking meal that takes boiling thirty minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethesis View Post
    I'm not exited about a backpacking meal that takes boiling thirty minutes.
    Precisely.
    That's why you spend time in supermarkets and online reading labels and cooking directions.
    The point of the thread is sources of FULLY cooked and then FREEZE DRIED lentils.
    Or DIY cooked and dehydrated lentils.
    The 30 minute cooking lentils are raw and dried lentils. Like most dried beans found in supermarkets.
    Everyone knows that Camellia Brand Red Kidney Beans require 14 hours soaking prior to several hours of cooking.
    Wayne

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Can you post your recipe? Looking online I see a popular one with about 25 unique ingredients. That's a nope.
    http://www.trailcooking.com/one-pot-...-lentils-rice/ is a good starting point. I tend to vary what goes in the curry, particularly if I'm cooking for just myself (since I can never find little pouches of chicken, and the 7-ounce is too much for me). I often can't find pre-made garam masala, but something like http://allrecipes.com/recipe/142967/easy-garam-masala/ works well. Add a piece of malabar leaf if you can find some, or a piece of bay leaf otherwise.

There are a lot of things to measure out at home, but on trail it's less complicated than it looks - boil up some water, put the rice and lentils in to rehydrate, and then make the curry by dumping a bag in the pot with some more water and cooking briefly. When the rice and lentils are ready, so is the curry.
    I do concede that it's a little bit more effort than pouring boiling water into a bag of Mountain House, but I like real food...
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Taste Adventure, I think is the brand, of Curry Lentil Soup I find in bulk bins. It's sold by the oz, lb, etc. No need to buy 10 lbs worth. Heat water. Throw it in the pot. Ready to eat in 3 mins. A little goes a long way. Heck 1 lb at about $6/lb nets me 4-5 dinners to which I add EVOO, instant brown rice, hemp seed, turmeric root, fresh ginger, dried mango, more curry, powdered full fat coconut milk, fresh green onion or colorful peppers, etc., Sprinkle with some dried parmesan cheese, pepitas or sunflower seeds.

It's an Organic product with an easily understood short ingredient list.

http://www.tasteadventure.com/produc...y-lentil-soup/

http://www.foodfacts.com/ci/nutritio...up-48-oz/79642

Backpacking cooking tip:
    Reverse the normal printed cooking instructions. Add dry ingredients to water in a pan. Bring to a boil. Remove from eat. Let stand. Eat. Bringing the water to a boil first wastes fuel.
    Wayne

Lentils cook fast so buying pre-cooked lentils shouldn't be a high priority. There's nothing special in them anyways. Tasteless things... unless you smother them in whipped cream. Raw sprouts a better alternative

Anti-lentils

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++