WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Buy quality once.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cry once and get it over with. Buy a good bag. It is impossible to over-state its importance in your gear.
    zig-zag man

There is no such thing as free.

Thanks all for the helpful guidance. Great point made about appropriate pad. Any suggestions and good, reasonable light and reasonably priced pads?

I would certainly prefer one that does not have me shivering at 30 degrees, and a bit of room for tossing & turning, and it would be outstanding if it is Wayne certified!

I am mostly a day hiker/peak bagger, who is starting to do more overnight trips (and really enjoying it). I have an old bag that is fine in warmer temps, but as I plan to be spending more time camping, decided it is time to upgrade. In an ideal world, cost would be no object, but the world is not ideal so I am looking for good bang for the buck. It does not have to be the best, but I definitely want good quality and durability. I am willing to take on more weight to save some $$$. Same goes for any recommendations on a pad.

Many thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    All mummy bags are not created equal.
    Do you want a 20 degree bag that has you shivering at 30 degrees?
    Or do you want a 20 degree bag that weighs less than 2 pounds, carries an EN Lower Limit rating of 16 degrees, has room to toss & turn and has been verified by me in my backyard at 12 degrees?
    Your choice.

Wayne
    dont leave us hanging and tell us the bag name and price.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

This is one that I sort of feel qualified to answer. As a clueless weekender, I've always hiked on a fairly stingy budget. If I were planning a Big Hike as a Life-Changing Event, I might be able to justify to myself dropping a few grand on gear, but since it's just the occasional getaway, I try to dirtbag as much as possible. So from that perspective, let me observe:

In the East, virtually everyone's first sleeping bag should probably be a not-too-expensive but not-too-heavy 20° down bag. It's a compromise in a number of areas, but a great thing to get you started.

It's too hot for summer, but you can always sleep on just your pad and pull just enough of the bag over you like a quilt.

It's not nearly warm enough for deep winter, but in 'shoulder season' or in the Southern winter you can sleep in a fleece suit, beanie and gloves, and not shiver.

It'll be heavier and bulkier than a really expensive bag of the same temp rating, but by the time you really want the ultralight bag, you'll have a pretty good idea what you want to buy. And what you want to buy may be a different temp rating, or may be a quilt (or TQ and UQ combination for a hammock). If you're asking this question, you don't yet know your hiking style. (You may know your aspirations, but that's a very different thing.)

The Kelty Cosmic, the REI Radiant (or Igneo), the EMS Simmer Down (or Mountain Light) are all in about the same price and quality range, and all three have been around for a long time. A lot of us have started out with one or another of those, and never got around to replacing them (although many of us have added on dedicated summer- and winter-weight bags, and maybe even a mountaineering bag). I seem to recall that even PMags takes his Cosmic out during Spring and Fall. I know that I still have my Radiant. Yeah, I could spend a few hundred bucks and get something fancier from Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends or someone, but I always seem to have something better to spend the money on, even when I'm spending on gear.

I personally wouldn't go below the price tier of those bags because you then start getting into stuff that either is ridiculously heavy or else isn't true to temperature rating. It's far better to try to pick up something used. There are a lot of people who get geared up, try backpacking once, and decide that it isn't for them, so if you live near a trail, you might be able to make a find at a thrift store or on Craigslist.

As far as pads go, the way to get maximum versatility on a budget is to start with something like a Z-Rest or Ridgerest - a better-grade foam pad. (Although a blue foamy would get you started, they don't last quite as well and they're heavier.) As you get into colder weather, add an insulated inflatable pad to your collection, and in winter, simply carry both. I've gone to negative-single-digits by bundling up in all my clothing in a 0° bag on top of a RidgeRest and a ProLite, with my puffy jacket spread on top of the bag over my core. With that combination, I can stay toasty at -5°. If your foamy doesn't have a reflective layer, put a car sunshade between it and you.

If you are planning the Life-Changing Big Hike, sorry, I don't have a lot of knowledge in that area. I don't know if the recommendation changes for that.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Im very pleased with both of the bags that I have purchased from Outdoor Vitals. Quality to cost ratio is very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    This is one that I sort of feel qualified to answer. As a clueless weekender, I've always hiked on a fairly stingy budget. If I were planning a Big Hike as a Life-Changing Event, I might be able to justify to myself dropping a few grand on gear, but since it's just the occasional getaway, I try to dirtbag as much as possible. So from that perspective, let me observe:

In the East, virtually everyone's first sleeping bag should probably be a not-too-expensive but not-too-heavy 20° down bag. It's a compromise in a number of areas, but a great thing to get you started.

It's too hot for summer, but you can always sleep on just your pad and pull just enough of the bag over you like a quilt.

It's not nearly warm enough for deep winter, but in 'shoulder season' or in the Southern winter you can sleep in a fleece suit, beanie and gloves, and not shiver.

It'll be heavier and bulkier than a really expensive bag of the same temp rating, but by the time you really want the ultralight bag, you'll have a pretty good idea what you want to buy. And what you want to buy may be a different temp rating, or may be a quilt (or TQ and UQ combination for a hammock). If you're asking this question, you don't yet know your hiking style. (You may know your aspirations, but that's a very different thing.)

The Kelty Cosmic, the REI Radiant (or Igneo), the EMS Simmer Down (or Mountain Light) are all in about the same price and quality range, and all three have been around for a long time. A lot of us have started out with one or another of those, and never got around to replacing them (although many of us have added on dedicated summer- and winter-weight bags, and maybe even a mountaineering bag). I seem to recall that even PMags takes his Cosmic out during Spring and Fall. I know that I still have my Radiant. Yeah, I could spend a few hundred bucks and get something fancier from Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends or someone, but I always seem to have something better to spend the money on, even when I'm spending on gear.

I personally wouldn't go below the price tier of those bags because you then start getting into stuff that either is ridiculously heavy or else isn't true to temperature rating. It's far better to try to pick up something used. There are a lot of people who get geared up, try backpacking once, and decide that it isn't for them, so if you live near a trail, you might be able to make a find at a thrift store or on Craigslist.

As far as pads go, the way to get maximum versatility on a budget is to start with something like a Z-Rest or Ridgerest - a better-grade foam pad. (Although a blue foamy would get you started, they don't last quite as well and they're heavier.) As you get into colder weather, add an insulated inflatable pad to your collection, and in winter, simply carry both. I've gone to negative-single-digits by bundling up in all my clothing in a 0° bag on top of a RidgeRest and a ProLite, with my puffy jacket spread on top of the bag over my core. With that combination, I can stay toasty at -5°. If your foamy doesn't have a reflective layer, put a car sunshade between it and you.

If you are planning the Life-Changing Big Hike, sorry, I don't have a lot of knowledge in that area. I don't know if the recommendation changes for that.
    Wow - really helpful. Thanks AK.

Mrs. Wayne and I each received a 25% coupon for 1 REI brand item today. The Igneo 17 would be a way to use something like that.
    By popular request:
    My sleep system for the 12 degree night in East Texas.
    MSR HUBBA HUBBA NX.
    Western Mountaineering Alpinlite Long.
    Xtherm Large.
    Exped Air Pillow Red.
    LL Bean 250 WT Merino Wool underwear, 1/4 zip top and bottoms.
    Darn Tough AT Logo hiking socks.
    Fleece gloves and beanie.
    Another Kevin makes a key point about using his down jacket as a small quilt over his bag. NOT wearing his puffy.
    I carry a down vest everywhere. I spread it over me in my bag as needed.
    I didn't pay retail for anything listed above. I'm only 5'-8". I bought the Xtherm Large because I was tired of falling off of narrow pads. I found the Alpinlite Long at a dealer who was anxious to move it. The price made the extra 2 ounces disappear. And then some. I would have taken a WM Ultralite on similar terms. I do prefer the room of the Alpinlite. My WM Antelope is my favorite. I need to take it out and play in the snow.
    Have fun Y'all!
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

You asked about bags but you should also investigate quilts, great weight to price ratio. Enlightened equipment revelation is very popular. You will need a very good pad.

Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post
    You asked about bags but you should also investigate quilts, great weight to price ratio. Enlightened equipment revelation is very popular. You will need a very good pad.
    Search WhiteBlaze for Just Bill's encyclopedic dissertation on the break point between quilts and real sleeping bags at 20 degrees. Especially 20 degree and colder sleeping bags versus quilts.
    People don't buy a 20 degree bag because they never expect the temperature to be less than 20-21 degrees.
    On the other hand, it's your money. Do as you please.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

While we were blathering about 290 degree bags...
    https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthr...g-sleeping-bag
    Somebody snagged one.

Wayne

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++