WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Timing for NH hike

Planning on hiking from Hanover to Franconia soon. I can either go second week of August, last week of August, or second week of September. Which week would you prefer and why? And go... Lol

Second week of September, temps are cooler and fewer folks on the trails (although you can run into college orientation groups). Last week of August is a zoo in the woods as it line ups with Labor Day weekend.

I agree, September over August. Less heat, less crowding. I passed through that stretch last October and it was heaven.

Images

I am planning on hiking NH mid September so I'm interested in the responses here too.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjam View Post
    I am planning on hiking NH mid September so I'm interested in the responses here too.
    We are talking about the southern half of NH. The whites and Mahoosucs can start to get "interesting" in late September although of late the "interesting" parts seem to have pushed back to Mid October.

We can still have interesting days in late September, but short lived. If your in the wrong place at the wrong time, it can get dicey. It was 48 at my house this morning, but a high of 82 this afternoon. And it's not even August yet.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

The Whites & Mahoosucs are often beautiful in mid to late September, but can still get "very interesting." I did the Franconia ridge in 3rd week of September last year and it was one of the best days I have ever had. I have also been up in the Carters and had snow in late September.
    Pack the cold weather clothing and bring your microspikes just in case. Many of the huts are closed (Lonesome Lake, Carter Notch, and maybe Greenleaf still open), so plan accordingly for your overnights.

Just doing the southern half, so hopefully less chance if things being "interesting"! Think I'm leaning towards mid September!

++ New Posts ++