WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Reality Check

Default Reality Check

Hitting the JMT in a month, and always looking at ways to minimize pack weight. I knew I had been putting on weight, but I just weighed in at 40# over my target weight for JMT, and 30# heavier than I was earlier this year on my AT section. It's like, why the hell am I looking to cut half a pound here and there, when I'm lugging an extra pack-and-a-half around my midsection. That's it....just had to vent.

Welcome to the club.
    I'm headed west at the end of August. 15-20 pounds heavier than a similar trip last year. No idea how it happened.
    Maybe I'll sweat some pounds off going over a few 12k+ foot passes.
    You're absolutely correct. It's dumb to spend money to cut pack weight. Loose weight for free.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Journal Entries

I always come home from a trip a few pounds lighter, but often it's dehydration. After walking 1500+ miles on the AT, I should be a skinny little thing.

Resupply more often. Water is quite readily abundant. If you're going in Aug that time allows a lighter wt kit. If you are doing a 14 -18 day thru doing only one resupply food wt is your single biggest wt and very likely bulk category. Reduce that consumable wt and bulk and it allows for a light wt lower volume backpack. You asked. That's an option.

Overweight males tend to shed pounds rapidly on long distance hikes.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    And then put them back on twice as fast when done.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    And then put them back on twice as fast when done.
    Indeed, that is the truly hard part.

A few years ago (2012) I lost 35 lbs and kept it off for a few years, but "fell off the wagon" last fall and winter and put on about 15 lbs. I made some lame attempts to get back down to 'fighting weight' but only in the last month have gotten really serious about it. I am definitely seeing results now, but it is extremely difficult to stick with the program when not actually out hiking on a regular basis.

But at least my alarm bells sounded at 15 lb. I plan to never be 35 lb overweight again!!

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    So there is hope it sounds like!

If one doesn't radically change their on trail diet from their off trail diet(I find it not that hard!), maintains a narrowed fitness and body wt/body fat% off trail as they do on trail, and don't revert to a sedentary off trail lifestyle post hike their isn't as much significance in the yo yoing.

Umm, resupplying more often assists me achieve that. It allows me to eat a closer or equal to my off trail diet. It allows me to go lighter wt and less bulkier. It takes more time though...um doing what I prioritize enjoying...backpacking...NOT necessarily bagging another XYZ with a super rushed gotta go gotta go go go gotta be somewhere else attitude.

Becoming lethargic post hike in context of comparing energy output while hiking while also simultaneously attempting to decrease caloric intake/dial down from a trail diet consisting of much junk food is a wt gaining energy robbing trap that more than a few fall prey. One of the worst scenarios are those that abide by the belief that all cals are equal as if cals can somehow be taken out of the larger context of food as a single aspect. This leads to the belief that junk food eaten en masse on trail is fine since it all burns off??? BUT, what happens post hike after one possibly has gotten addicted to/ abusing eating empty high calorie sugary bad fat junk food en masse on trail? Ahhh, that's one of the causes of putting wt back on post hike! It is NOT just about energy expenditure differences between on trail and off trail lifestyles.

Look to eat nutritious, healthy, and tasty at all times. It's done regularly.

I can rarely tell you how much I weigh or my pack weighs. I could estimate each but I do know the total weight of both before a trip. I don't mind carrying an extra 2 lbs of luxury items if I've worked to drop 10 of the extra 15lbs I have a tendency to put on now and again from sitting in an office all day.

Quote Originally Posted by evyck da fleet View Post
    I can rarely tell you how much I weigh or my pack weighs. I could estimate each but I do know the total weight of both before a trip. I don't mind carrying an extra 2 lbs of luxury items if I've worked to drop 10 of the extra 15lbs I have a tendency to put on now and again from sitting in an office all day.
    I can tell you my weight to the ounce and it's why the weight doesn't creep back on. I keep a close eye on it, and allow for a 3 lb fluctuation.

Quote Originally Posted by JPritch View Post
    Hitting the JMT in a month, and always looking at ways to minimize pack weight. I knew I had been putting on weight, but I just weighed in at 40# over my target weight for JMT, and 30# heavier than I was earlier this year on my AT section. It's like, why the hell am I looking to cut half a pound here and there, when I'm lugging an extra pack-and-a-half around my midsection. That's it....just had to vent.
    Pack weight is still important. Think of it as the Diet Coke to your cheeseburger and fries.

My pack was not significantly easier to carry after I lost weight. I was faster and recovered more quickly from elevation gain, but the feel of the pack on my shoulders, back, hips, and feet did not change.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by evyck da fleet View Post
    I have a tendency to put on now and again from sitting in an office all day.
    Sitting in an office doesnt cause weight gain.....

Eating more calories than thee expends.....causes weight gain

You have option to eat......less.....when you need less

Most peoples downfall...

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    My pack was not significantly easier to carry after I lost weight. I was faster and recovered more quickly from elevation gain, but the feel of the pack on my shoulders, back, hips, and feet did not change.
    Exactly. Some people seem to think that losing 5 lbs of belly will feel same as dropping 5lbs out of a base weight. Totally wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post

Most peoples downfall...
    I've always eaten whatever I want. Thankfully I hate shopping and would rather exercise so it's a temporary problem. Unfortunately in order to go on my trips sometimes work takes a priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Resupply more often. Water is quite readily abundant. If you're going in Aug that time allows a lighter wt kit. If you are doing a 14 -18 day thru doing only one resupply food wt is your single biggest wt and very likely bulk category. Reduce that consumable wt and bulk and it allows for a light wt lower volume backpack. You asked. That's an option.
    Pretty sure that was not asked. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post

Most peoples downfall...

aint that the truth!....but one thing for sure it's not easy!
    but I'll argue though that the office doesn't help. OUr bodies were not made for this sitting all day.

Over the years with age, I found one day without looking that I had packed on 50#. A couple years ago went on a massive reduction, lost almost 50#. Didn't get quite down to where I wanted to be...but that's when I started thinking about backpacking again, and started gearing up.

but the thing that I discovered was just how little food an older person needs sitting in the office all day.

As an example, I used to eat a "healthy" cereal for breakfast. By once I looked at calories and serving size... I discovered that I was eating 4-5 servings every morning! It was just 1-1/2 to 2 bowls of it but it was way too much.
    SO now that I know that, I am doing a lot better at portion control
    BUT
    once I started to try to maintain weight and stopped being so hyper vigilant, the weight started sneaking back in. I'm back up maybe 20#....and struggling...ugh.

I wish I were closer to the mountain trails so I could get moving. Just doesn't appeal to me down here in FL

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    but I'll argue though that the office doesn't help. OUr bodies were not made for this sitting all day.

Over the years with age, I found one day without looking that I had packed on 50#. A couple years ago went on a massive reduction, lost almost 50#. Didn't get quite down to where I wanted to be...but that's when I started thinking about backpacking again, and started gearing up.

but the thing that I discovered was just how little food an older person needs sitting in the office all day.

As an example, I used to eat a "healthy" cereal for breakfast. By once I looked at calories and serving size... I discovered that I was eating 4-5 servings every morning! It was just 1-1/2 to 2 bowls of it but it was way too much.
    BUT
    once I started to try to maintain weight and stopped being so hyper vigilant, the weight started sneaking back in. I'm back up maybe 20#....and struggling...ugh.

I wish I were closer to the mountain trails so I could get moving. Just doesn't appeal to me down here in FL
    you're right, working a desk job doesn't help but it's still possible to do physical activity. Keep a yoga mat at work and do sit ups, push-ups, planks, etc. Walk the stairs for 20 minutes. Arrive early and run a few miles or walk with your pack. Pack a healthy lunch. It's not hard, just takes motivation. Ignore your co-worker's gawking and naysaying, they'll stay fat.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post

BUT

When I saw this I thought of you.

not-everything-flat-in-florida.jpeg

Blackheart

++ New Posts ++