Images

Default campsite north of Agnew Meadows, near Mammoth Lakes CA

Hi Guys! I'm planning a trip to CA in September, and will be doing a section near Mammoth Lakes. We'll be starting at the PCT (High Trail) trailhead at Agnew Meadows and traveling north towards Thousand Island Lake. We'll be arriving mid-day, and was hoping to find a campsite a few miles in. A few resources show a campsite a few miles from the trailhead, near an overlook, which seems to be about 5 miles from Thousand Island Lake, and other sources do not show any camping areas. Just wanted to get some clarification of this area. Also, what type of elevation gain will I be reaching before things level off. I know Agnew Meadows is at 8400,, so wondering what type of climb I have. Thanks!
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

CalTopo can answer a few of your questions. There are online tutorials.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

Big Dawg,

I came down the High Trail and spent the night about 1.5 miles (?) from Agnes Meadow. I hammocked, but the area looked big enough for you to find a place to pitch a tent. This was an undeveloped, dry campsite. Bring plenty of water for camp, the next day you will pass one or two small rivulets on your way to Thousand Island Lake.

Further up I passed another campsite that looked a little larger, someone else was staying there so I kept on going. Both places were a little off trail in pines on the downslope side. If you see something that works for you I would grab it, most the high trail is brushy and sloped.

I really enjoyed the High Trail, I saw much more wildlife compared to the JMT, I think because there were fewer hikers. An owl was calling in the tree above my head for most of the night. If I remember right your first mile out of Agnes Meadows will be your hardest mile.

Scott
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

Agnew Meadows is nice camping. Badger lakes has good camping, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dawg View Post
    Hi Guys! I'm planning a trip to CA in September, and will be doing a section near Mammoth Lakes. We'll be starting at the PCT (High Trail) trailhead at Agnew Meadows and traveling north towards Thousand Island Lake. We'll be arriving mid-day, and was hoping to find a campsite a few miles in. A few resources show a campsite a few miles from the trailhead, near an overlook, which seems to be about 5 miles from Thousand Island Lake, and other sources do not show any camping areas. Just wanted to get some clarification of this area. Also, what type of elevation gain will I be reaching before things level off. I know Agnew Meadows is at 8400,, so wondering what type of climb I have. Thanks!
    A better hike IMO is coming in from Reds Meadow or Soda Springs to the JMT via the PCT and going NOBO - Devils Postpile Nat Monument, , Minaret Falls, closer to the Minarets, loop options, Rainbow Falls option, less used trails, etc.

Come in from June Lake?
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

I camped at Badger Lake, about 6 miles north of Agnew Meadows. Good flat area and water available. The hike from Agnew to Badger, once the ridge is topped, is a beautiful/easy hike - thoroughly enjoyable.

I'm heading back to the JMT next month to hike Bishop to Whitney. Can't wait!

Images

I believe most of the ridge walk will be in the 9500 foot range.

Have you looked at Halfmile's PCT Section H map that show the PCT and JMT alternate for the entire area? HF shows a(one ) CS about 2 miles south of badger at PCT mile 920. Compare that to the JMT route? The JMT and PCT meet back up at Thousand Island Lake. Not that the PCT is terribly unscenic or highly water problematic but compared to the JMT route in this area I'd choose the JMT almost every time if doing a longish stretch section hike or thru-hiking either. https://www.pctmap.net/maps/

++ New Posts ++