WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Frogg Toggs pants sizing

I just bought some Frogg Toggs from Amazon and when I tried them on today, they were HUGE. I know they're supposed to be a little bigger to accommodate clothing underneath, but they fit like clown pants and are downright impractical. Then I noticed that Amazon classified them in the men's department.

Are they unisex, or did I definitely just buy some men's pants? Do they have inconsistencies with sizing? If I buy a women's pair, will the crotch not be so ridiculously low and will they be smaller?

Or would I be better served shelling out for Marmot Precip or the Coumbia rain pants? For reference, I'm 5'7" and buying for the Long Trail in September.

AT 2012

hello neighbor. stylish? not. but as you know, there are advantages to having all that extra air circulation and layering clothes room. I always cut the legs and arms short to fit and wear a bigger size than i need. Hey -- you own them already, why not just try them after the trimming exercise? (I am 5'-7 as well.) Getting rid of the elastic cuff closures also makes them breath better, by the way... enjoy that Long Trail hike!!!!
    Lazarus

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

They're cheap! I cut the legs off just below the knee. It's useless to try to keep the lower leg dry, the ventilation is much improved, and it's really only the front of the knee and thigh that needs a little protection from wet brush IMHO. Some folks like rain kilts, I guess I go for the rain culottes.

I'm 5' 4" and got a pair of Frogg Toggs that fit. (They're big to go over clothes, but not huge.) Mine are women's.

Unfortunately, we're in the middle of a move, and I have no idea exactly where they are to check the size.

-FA

Check the Frogg Toggs site for the sizing chart.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Possibly because of the way they fit, possibly because of their ... uh, economy, the first day I wore my frogg togg pants, the crotch seam ripped out of them while squatting down to get into my tent. I've seen others duct taped back together, and heard from other people that this is a common issue with them.

I use my 'Toggs as a wind-breaker in cold weather far more often than I use them as rain protection, so I haven't bothered replacing them.

I, too, have a set of Marmot Precips, and used them the same way - more for cold than for rain. They fit MUCH better, but they weigh twice as much, so they stay home now.

The wettest I have ever been in a rainstorm was while wearing Frogg Toggs. I threw them in the nearest waste receptacle and will never own another pair. They leak like a sieve!

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Frogg Toggs fit like clown pants so that you can put them on over your boots without having the weight of leg zips, and so that they'll fit over insulated pants.

As others have observed, your rainsuit is more for protection from wind than rain. In a heavy rain, you will get wet. Either from the rain, or from condensation wetting out your gear from the inside.

Frogg Toggs last a little while. They surely won't stand up to a bushwhack, so if I'm planning to go off trail, I bring my Precips even though they are heavy.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Journal Entries

I think theres some folks confusing frogg toggs and dri ducks.
    They are two different things

++ New Posts ++