WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default N.J. and Mass A.T. Food

I'm headed out for some section hiking in mid-August. Doing N.J. and Mass. NOBO. I see lots of road crossings, especially in N.J. and wondering how much food to carry. How much opportunity is there to pick up some food without going too far off the trail.

get the AT Data book

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Greybeard View Post
    I'm headed out for some section hiking in mid-August. Doing N.J. and Mass. NOBO. I see lots of road crossings, especially in N.J. and wondering how much food to carry. How much opportunity is there to pick up some food without going too far off the trail.
    if you can hike 20 a day theres really nowhere youll ever go more than 2 days without being very near a store.

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    if you can hike 20 a day theres really nowhere youll ever go more than 2 days without being very near a store.
    Maybe 4-5 days if you're like me.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Depends on how much of your time you want to spend getting to/from resupply points instead of hiking.

You certainly could stop in towns every other day or so, but wouldn't you rather be on the Trail instead?

Cosmo

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    get the AT Data book
    ^Terse to the pt answers are sometimes the best. ^

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    Depends on how much of your time you want to spend getting to/from resupply points instead of hiking.

You certainly could stop in towns every other day or so, but wouldn't you rather be on the Trail instead?

Cosmo
    my guesstimate wouldnt involve ever really leaving the trail, not by more than a 15-20 min walk or so. even at that, those are the minority. plenty of things youll literally walk right into on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    ^Terse to the pt answers are sometimes the best. ^
    ive got the book. I did want the answer too but I guess I'll look it up.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I think I once saw someone post a hike plan for NJ/NY/CT that described how to hike from deli to deli. Harriman to Peekskill was its longest section.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Images

In Mass, except in Dalton and either side of Greylock and at its summit, it's a ways off trail to get to good food, but worth the trouble. Great Barrington is a highlight, lots of good options there (I'm partial to Aroma, the family-owned Indian joint), there's plenty of places in Lee. I don't know Dalton and Cheshire well, but there's lots in Dalton, more further west in Pittsfield. Plenty of good stuff in North Adams/Williamstown, a mile plus off the trail. Pancakes at Upper Goose Pond Cabin, plus the pretty pond and nice cabin, are a thing. Couldn't tell you much about south of CT, Kent and Salisbury in my home state are pricey but have good options, Salisbury quite a few of high quality, and Falls Village has a couple of things. West Cornwall is now a dry hole and the convenience store a short walk east of the trail on Rt. 4 is limited, though the people are nice.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    I think I once saw someone post a hike plan for NJ/NY/CT that described how to hike from deli to deli. Harriman to Peekskill was its longest section.
    plenty of stuff to be had a bit north of the bear mountain bridge, west side of the river.

In NJ, you will have to walk a bit at the road crossings. When you get to Rte 206 stop at Gyp's Tavern for a burger and Beer. Go into Unionville and do the same at Wit's End Tavern... When You get to Route 94 just after the Vernon Boardwalk and before the Stairway to heaven, you can walk a ways to a supermarket for resupply. when you get to Warwick Turnpike as you get toward the end of Waywayanda Park, there are food stores about 5 miles in either direction, for resupply.

Images

+1 for Gyp's Tavern & Wit's End Tavern being "must stop" places. Great food, cold beer and good people. We spent a couple of hours in the chairs by the lake at Gyp's on a sunny afternoon, after burgers and beers, AWESOME! But DO NOT swim in the lake!

+1 on Gyp's Tavern in NJ. It's close to the trail and a must stop. In Unionville, I missed Wit's, but just across the street from the city park (where they let you tent) is a pizza place and one of the best general stores/deli you'll find anywhere. I tented with 3 or 4 others and we shared some pizza and beer in the park. Technically there is no alcohol in the park, but if you keep it subtle and responsible the caretaker turns a blind eye. Good people in Unionville. Don't miss the breakfast sandwiches at the deli.

++ New Posts ++