WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Therm a rest / Z Lite Sol

I was wondering if there was any hope for a bigger guy being able to get by with this sleeping pad for extended trips.

I have read the reviews and understand that the best way to find out is by using it in the field however, it's like 185 degrees here in Indiana and I don't plan to sleep in a tent for months...so I'm surveying y'all to see what your collective experience can offer me.

For the record, I am 41 years old, 6'2" 270lbs (and dropping) I am a rotisserie sleeper which means that I do spend time on my side.

I have used a few pads including a BA QCore SLX which is comfortable though, I have trouble getting a pillow that is the right size and that will stay put on it, which leads to me not always sleeping well. There is also the concern of any inflatable pad losing air which is never fun.

I have played around with a Zlite a little bit and found that because it is flat and stickier, finding a comfortable pillow set up is easier...it's tough to explain. I am pretty sure that I would have hip pain if I tried to side sleep on it but, figure that I could easily sleep on my back or stomach with little issue.

If I were younger, I figure I'd be fine. At 41, I'm nervous.

Thoughts?

At your weight I'd suggest something with more cushioning. I was good with a closed cell foam pad until about 10 years ago. By "good" I mean that I slept through the night without interruptions; I was still sore on hips and shoulders (side sleeper) in the mornings. Since then I've still been using CCF but haven't slept as well. I figure for me it's time to see about an inflatable for the AT next year. Right now I'm leaning toward the Klymit insulated Static V Lite despite the ugly orange color. I already know I can't sleep with the potato chip bag noise coming from any Therm-a-Rest pad I've investigated. You've got to try to match your needs to what each sleeping pad can do for you.

I'm not as big as you, but I too am struggling with this issue.

and I'll qualify...I'm a guy that's done a bit of tailgate camping with scouts but mostly only researching now....not a real voice of experience....

I'm a side sleeper and 50 years old.....so i don't think I'd do well with the cheap foam pads. I've slept for years on self inflating thermarest, most recently a TrailPro, which has been great even slept ok a few times on concrete floors with it..... but it's a bit heavy so earlier this year I researched, and ended up buying a Nemo Tensor (ordered the non-insulated but REI sent insulated so it's a bit heavier). I liked it a bit better than the neo, a little less crinkly. The few times I've used it so far I just didn't sleep well...noise, and the "leak down" both bothered me. I want to try it with a different quieter pillow before I give up on it.... have been using a nemo Filo....also a bit noisy.

More lately, if I give up on the tensor I'm thinking about trying a short version of my trailpro if I can find one.... maybe a good tradeoff between weight and comfort

One last thought about the Z-Lite and why I haven't completely dismissed it or something similar... I've read about some folks using it, with a combination of digging holes for hips / shoulders and padding under the tent with a healthy layer of leaves. I don't think the digging part is realistic, but leaves maybe....

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

My experience with CCF pads like the z-lite: If you're sleeping on soft ground it's OK, but not on a hard shelter floor.

Images

I test all sleeping pads on my concrete basement floor. I figure out which work real fast that way.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy of PA View Post
    I test all sleeping pads on my concrete basement floor. I figure out which work real fast that way.
    I agree with you practice. I've found that my thermarest well enough to work on a concrete floor, so I'll be happy with just about any flooring situation.

Journal Entries

The only experience I have with anything in the Z-Rest material is a Z-Rest Seatpad. The pad works well when taking a break and at meal times to protect a tender tush.
    Blackheart

Images

I have tried the Z rest multiple times, also the Ridgerest. What I have found is that my weight squashes the little eggcrate pattern flat, and once that happens the pad gets really thin. (I'm ~200lbs.) It's ok on my back but very uncomfortable on my side, and I do roll around a lot. The Ridgerest is a little better, as it's thicker to begin with. Still not enough for me to carry one as my primary pad, though.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Journal Entries

After about age 30, I would never contemplate sleeping on thin pad again if I had option.
    Sure back is tolerable. But xlite is suprer comfy, and LIGHTER, and takes up less room.

I also found I couldn't sleep on a ccf pad, so I tried using a regular and a small - thinking the 4 foot section from my hips to my shoulders would help. It didn't. A friend of mine has a 1 inch thick Therm-a-rest prolite, and uses it in tandem with a ccf pad. I went with the 1.5" thick prolite plus, and usually leave the ccf Ridgerest at home. In freezing temps, it's a good idea to also bring the ccf as either increased insulation or as backup in case the inflatable develops a leak. The Prolite and the Prolite Plus are quiet - no crinkly noise.

Fighting with my clothing bag as a pillow also hinders my sleep. Bringing a small hiking pillow improves my sleep. Between the less than ultra-light pad and the pillow, I'll probably never quite be an "ultra light" hiker, but a good night's sleep is worth the weight of those items - to me.

what pillow do you like? I want to like it, but I'm not in love with my nemo filo

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    what pillow do you like? I want to like it, but I'm not in love with my nemo filo
    I've only tried one... unlike my tents, stoves, sleeping bags, etc... but it's just a $10 Wenzel Camp pillow.

https://www.amazon.com/Wenzel-49244-...ews/B002OC5688

I'm sure I'll try a smaller, lighter, inflatable pillow in the future...

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy of PA View Post
    Trying them on a hard floor really works well.

A pad is the one thing you can test inside during during the summer.

If you don't have a basement you probably have tile on the kitchen floor.

A lot to be said for that.

I tried to nap on the pad yesterday afternoon since I had my tent up. I ended up throwing my Z Seat, on top of the Z Lite, under my hips, and it was fantastic. I'm going to try it on my next short trip.

Okay...now I can say with great certainty that I am too big and too much a side sleeper to use one of these pad...I learned this the hard way.☹️

My youngest son and I camped last night and, being a nice dad, I gave his the nice Sea to Summit pad and used the Z Lite myself.

What a horrible night of sleep! I rolled and rolled and rolled all night as I tried to take the pressure off of the whatever part of my body was hurting at the time.

Back to an inflatable.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

What? Nobody has suggested a hammock yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    What? Nobody has suggested a hammock yet?
    lol....it's odd isn't it? I've had 4 hammocks and cannot get comfortable in one. I roll around too much.

I will never sleep on a Zlite again. Two worst nights of sleep I ever had from Springer to Neels Gap. Promptly bought an inflatable at Neels and haven't looked back. 6'3 240ish

Try nemo tensor insulated long/wide w sea to summit premium pillow.

Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post
    Try nemo tensor insulated long/wide w sea to summit premium pillow.
    I actually have the Sea to Summit Comfort Light pad and really like it. It's a lot thinner than the Qcore SLX and easier to inflate. When combined with the StS pillow, I'm darn comfortable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++