WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Starting at southern terminus in Sept?

Have a week of vacation to use in the middle of September. What conditions could we expect for the Georgia section at that time?

HOT...Humid, possible water shortages. low crowd levels. For Georgia shuttle look in my signature, A++ on Ron.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

Higher is cooler...if you're not married to North Georgia, think about the Smokies.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Images

September in the south is still pretty hot sometimes. It depends on the weather. I went to Daleville, Virginia for my first hike one September, and sweated to death until the thuderstorm hit and almost froze me to death. I would go higher. If the silly rules in the smokies don't put you off, you could probably do the whole thing in a week. I'd find somewhere between I-40 and Damascus with water and high elevation. There are beautiful sections along the NC/TN border with no reservation/shelter rules. The later it gets, the less crowded it is. We did a section near Erwin last weekend, saw two people other than our group. The trail after the thru bubble is gone is a really relaxing, solo place for the most part. And it was only 80 degrees and the most.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

I see you are from Fl. I am from S. GA and, like you, experience the heat daily. It is warm on the GA section in Sept. but not miserable. Everything said above is true. The NC mountains would be perfect late Sept. But, you will be fine hiking the GA section in Sept. Last year we did this section and I was warm but comfortable. A thunderstorm came through and we were cold afterward for the remainder of the day. Then back to heat the next morning. I wore shorts/t-shirt the entire week. Good news is there were very few bugs around.
    Have a great time!
    JC

For the most part, August weather carries over into September. Hot and humid is the weather you should expect to encounter.

While there are always exceptions, by the 14th or 15th of September the heat will break and evenings and mornings may actually feel cool. September is a very dry month, sometimes with no rainfall. Since you are from FL, you are already humidity acclimated.

You can do some last minute planning since crowds are way down. School is in and leaves haven't turned. So there is plenty of vacancy. Most places can accommodate you with just a couple of days notice. My vote would be to plan a Smokies trip and a Springer trip and make your final decision the week after Labor Day.

Excellent information everyone. Being from Florida I am more concerned about the elevation than the heat (My house is approx 32ft ASL).
    Will a 40* sleeping bag be enough? Will the water sources be running? Will the resupply (Suches, Neels Gap) shops be open? How crowded will the shelters be?
    One last problem I just can't figure out. I have sleep apnea and will be packing a CPAP. I have a battery that should last 2-3 days on the trail. Is there anywhere I can recharge it? I do have a solar panel but find it hard to rely on a favorable forecast.

Middle September weather is very transitional. Usually pretty dry with cool morning temps (50s) and highs in the low to mid 70s at elevation. But some years the summer heat and humidity hangs on into mid Sept. Too cold is rarely an issue. Plan on pleasant temps but check the weather prior to departure. Plenty of water flowing this year so that should not be an issue. Trail will be quiet during weekdays but will get somewhat busy on weekend days. Never been much supply in Suches so Neels is your best option for resupply. Solar panel is little help on the trail. You are still in the green tunnel in Sept. Enjoy your hike!

I live at about 15ft ASL in south MS and I did the approach to unicoi last Aug. The elevation didn't slow me down at all the water was available every 5 or 10 miles 40 deg will be plenty

September's always a wild one. Right now there are a couple of days of rain with temperatures in the 70's. The two week forecast has some rain around Sept 8th or 9th and highs in the 70's with lows in the 50's. One day it gets up to about 82. At this rate, September is nearly ideal and you may start to see some color near the end of the month.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    HOT...Humid, possible water shortages. low crowd levels. For Georgia shuttle look in my signature, A++ on Ron.

If I remember correctly you did a great job for my wife and I.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Mix...Hot humid one day to cool fall air the next. Expect higher traffic around the highway crossings.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

I was at Vogel State Park this weekend, (just below Neels Gap/Blood Mtn) Two days of solid rain (Wed and Thurs) and another shower came through Friday evening. Temperatures were unseasonably cool. Bring a long-sleeved top, hat and maybe a liner for your bag. Lows were in the high 40s/low 50s and high temperatures in the low to mid 70s. Beautiful weather.

Leonidas

We had low 50's at Blue Mountain Shelter Saturday night. Saturday night, high 50's to low 60's at Powell Mountain vista.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

++ New Posts ++