WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Nobo 2018!

:banana Nobo 2018!

Hey Hikers!

Just wanted to introduce myself as a new member on White Blaze! Peter Pan is what my friends have deemed my trail name. ...more about that later!

Currently I am sitting on the balcony of a hotel while on vacation in the middle of downtown Chicago. It's been months of views like this that have sealed my fate -- I have finally decided that I am ready to take the plunge and start preparing to hike the AT 2018. I've found that people around me believe the word "adventure" is merely a category on Netflix...I intend on having as many adventures as I can...but more about that later!

Let’s rewind — I’m a 28 year old man who by all accounts has a steady life. I perform onstage for a living — mostly national tours and cruise lines. I've seen the world but something has been missing — that something is being outdoors, hiking, living off the land. While I lead a very different life now, I am reminded of my college and high school days full of camping and hiking trips -- and the wonderful neglecting and unplugging from the modern world. The AT is exactly the right direction to take at this point in my life, and of that I am sure.

I am planning on a thru hike NOBO and departing during the spring of 2018.

What I’m looking for? That’s an open ended question really!

First and foremost I am in search of a hiking buddy for the duration of the hike.

Beyond companionship...

I am looking for adventure.
    I am looking for trail camaraderie and all that entails.
    I am looking for the chance to be a part of something bigger than myself.
    I am looking for things that I won’t even realize I was in search of until I reach Maine.
    I am looking to be alive...in it's truest form.

At this point I have ordered maybe half a dozen books and trail maps, began list, after list, after list...you get it. I'm excited for this immense, overwhelming, and (fingers crossed) liberating journey. Join me from pre-planning to post journey and everything crazy antic in between!

**Anyone else heading NOBO with the class of 2018 who is currently looking for a trail mate to pass the time with, contact me.
    Last edited by Peter-Pan; 07-21-2017 at 00:03.
    Cheers,
    Peter Pan

"Be Bold." - Dad

I plan to depart spring of 2018 as well and would like a hiking buddy that we can help push and keeps tabs on each other. I am an accountant and love my job but as you stated, I feel like something is missing. I grew up loving the outdoors (my dad could barely keep shoes on my feet) and I loved camping and hiking. I have yet to tell my boss, but I plan to take a leave of absence or resign (whichever he allows) and want to hike the trail in about 5 months or so. I could take longer, like 6 months, but would like to be home for my family by mid September. The tentative date I've picked out of the air is 4/3/18. This allows me to experience trail days, which I am looking forward to! Let me know if you'd like to plan this out more.

Welcome aboard! We will have an '18 board soon but in the mean time I'd suggest reading Trail Journals. WAY more fun to read the good AND the bad. I will be NOBO as well but I think I will be pushing my start to the middle of April. I love the idea of picking your start date out of mid-air! In 11 and 15 I tried St Patrick's Day. For me, The miles I made on those short March days wasn't worth carrying the extra cold weather gear. Also rain and 40 degrees is dangerous so I'm going to push back to April and try to make up the difference that way. That lets me do the ATKO at Amicalola and the April Fools Bash in Franklin. There will be tons of shuttle opportunities if I don't make it to Damascus in time for Trail Days. This trip will be really different for me because I think I'm going to bring my dog. He ought to make the prep hikes from now until then more fun and less like exercise.
    Last edited by Speakeasy TN; 09-04-2017 at 11:52.

I am also an Accountant that is looking to unwind. I did put in my notice already lol. I’m 34 and looking to start the trail with some people to get the hang of it. I like speakeasy’s advice if starting a bit later to avoid cold weather and the extra weight needed for gear. I was thinking of starting April fools day but flexible.

Fortunately i'm not an accountant, but a very, very important person nonetheless My date is now fixed as 2nd March 2018. A Thursday! I shall start directly after breakfast, hot coffee and a back massage from the state lodge. I think there's a weigh-in involved where you can leave details of your next of kin in case you expire along the way. From here it seems that you follow people who carry lots of maps, and slowly head northwards. Obviously one way to tell if you are heading north is to notice the increase in prices which is a good indicator that you are on the right track. See yáll out there.

Hey man, I'll be heading to Springer sometime in early March. I'm just your average, weird 25 year-old looking for some existential sustenance. I've been pretty directionless my entire life, so figured the easiest thing to do was pick a direction. Hoping for some hard hiking, harder drinks, and easy friendships. Happy trails, dude; hope to see you out there!
    Why do you stay in prison
    when the door is so wide open?

Move outside the tangle of fear-thinking.
    Live in silence.

Flow down and down in always
    widening rings of being.

I shall head eastwards and be on the lookout for a directionless person from Alabama. If you're seeking purpose in life, you can carry my backpack. Ideally I'm wanting a hot blond as a hiking partner but I suppose beggars can't be choosers. See you out there Question.

Journal Entries

I am also looking to start in early to mid April to avoid the heavy cold weather gear. My potential hiking partner hinted today that his knee is bothering him so I will need to make contingencies for another hiking partner. I will be officially retired as of January 1st and have been looking forward to this for quite some time. Been hiking and camping most of my life. I am an Eagle Scout and leader trained in wilderness 1st aid. Since I've completed Harpers Ferry - Bennington I plan on flipping. Don't want to revisit the AT in PA! I'm flexible regarding the April start date. Not a party animal, not egocentric. I love hiking and just want to have a great experience.

2018 female NOBO bound. I was hoping to find a hiking partner to share this great adventure with. I would like to start at the end of March but flexible. I fell into this hiking phenomena about 2yrs ago while hiking the Shenandoah National Park. I'm getting older and old injuries are starting to creep up. So, it's coming down to "now or never". I may not be the fastest hiker but in the beginning, who is.

hike on my friend

Images

if you just come out here and hike you will find someone that is in the same mindset as you . it could be a lash or a couple day hiker or a thru hiker whomever or whatever you choose to hike with hopefully is capable of moving a the same pace as you . the thing to keep in mind is keeping it your hike and it will continue to be enjoyable . it is hard to enjoy your hike when you have someone that is not in the same mind set as you . it actually makes the hike difficult and I have seen many people quit or go home when things do not work out between them . have a good day ... Donald "grateful " ballard .. the further shuttle Appalachian

53 year old male planning to start about last week of March 2018 Looking for someone to start with. Maybe meet up at the Atlanta airport and share ride to falls.

I am starting the end of March also. Am also looling for a hiking buddy.

Starting March 27

++ New Posts ++