WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Change o' plans

I don't have a dehydrator and my dehydration attemps with the oven were less than successful, hence the reason why I was going for the commercial dehydrated meals.

I don't have much time before I leave (less than 24 hours now) so I'll keep it simple with stuff I like and know won't spoil in my pack like Knorr noodles, cheese, jerky, etc. This being my first section hike of the AT, it will also be my longest hike. Up until now 2-3 days was my max and food was not as much of a concern but now that my kids are older I'm planning more longer hikes so I'll invest in a dehydrator when I get back and use my kids as guinea pigs this winter. Next time I'll be more prepared... foodwise.

Thanks for all you tips!

I mainly make my own dehydrated meals and add hot sauce, cheese, Fritos, etc. after cooking.

For me, Hawk Vittles is the best, although pricey. However, I believe most of his meals make two, large servings so I repackage them into smaller portions.

Also Suzz, you may find you're not very hungry, especially in the heat. As others mentioned, smaller, more frequent snacks and meals might work better.

This is going to be a very hot weekend. If you haven't already, think very carefully about hydration.
    Last edited by Traffic Jam; 07-20-2017 at 10:06.

I personally don't mind the meals. The biggest downer for me is the redundancy. Last trip I stuck to the chilli, pineapple chicken and alfredo. If you sample it, and it is crunchy, add another 1/4 or < cup of water and let sit another 5-10 minutes. Other options are rice and pasta sides, instant Idahoan tators, or just snack on excess combos, chips, trail mix etc. Trail food all the same is to me just more reason to push harder to next town. In town, pack out half a pizza, a sub for that night etc.

I made my own dehydrated meals for about 2 years. Lots of effort, better tasting, hard to do for a thru, easier for a sectioner, trial and error, startup costs, little more cleanup on trail. prose and cons all mixed together right there.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    Also Suzz, you may find you're not very hungry, especially in the heat. As others mentioned, smaller, more frequent snacks and meals might work better.
    This is going to be a very hot weekend. If you haven't already, think very carefully about hydration.
    Yes I have a plan for hydration. I typically drink a lot and I figure I'll drink even more on the trail. I plan on topping off every time I see a water source and from what I see on the map and what I was told in another thread there is plenty of water available.

Thanks for your input!

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Put a Mountain House in a hiker box and see if it stays there 30 seconds.
    this......... !

Quote Originally Posted by Suzzz View Post
    Yes I have a plan for hydration. I typically drink a lot and I figure I'll drink even more on the trail. I plan on topping off every time I see a water source and from what I see on the map and what I was told in another thread there is plenty of water available.

Thanks for your input!
    I take that back, looks like it's going to be nice and (possibly) rainy. I'm jealous. You're starting at Springer, right?

Journal Entries

I was checking out food on Dutch's Make Your Gear site and found that freeze dried food not only worked and tasted better, it also looked better. Presentation is the most important thing when serving a meal weather at home, a restaurant or on the trail.
    Blackheart

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    I take that back, looks like it's going to be nice and (possibly) rainy. I'm jealous. You're starting at Springer, right?
    No, I'll be doing a section in Maine, from Stratton to Monson. It won't be so hot there and so far the forecast says ''possibility'' of rain.

No, I'll be doing a section in Maine, from Stratton to Monson. It won't be so hot there and so far the forecast says ''possibility'' of rain.
    Sounds divine. Can't wait to hear about your trip.

I guess I am lucky as I have found a few MH meals that I like, stroganoff and chili mac are good. I usually have these for dinner. I also like several of the packit gourmet meals. Knorr sides and regular macncheese are good too.

I cannot stand any of the egg/skillet dishes.

I am a big fan of tortillas and pbj/nutella for lunches and oatmeal or a meal bar (green belly) for breakfast with coffee.

Soaking rain monday and tuesday, hot and muggy saturday and a little coolr on Sunday. Sunny after that, but you should be across the kennebec by then. West Carry pond has a trail angel who leaves snacks at the leanto.

Fight me if you don't like the Big Easy Gumbo. Kidding, but seriously, to me it's damn good after a long day.

I consistently like oatmeal mixes I make at home. Not the packets bought premade which don't suit my taste buds.

Basic recipe:

line up about 8-12 sandwich size ziplock bags. In each add variations of following to your taste and availability

1/3 cup instant oats
    1/3 cup regular rolled oats ( I like the texture of both types together)
    fruit - 1/8 to 1/4 cup raisins or chopped dates or apricots or dried apples or dried cranberries
    nuts- 1/4 cup slivered almonds or chopped walnuts or chopped macadamia
    sweet - 1-2 tablespoons of brown sugar, honey powder, coconut sugar maple sugar or skip.
    Spice - cinnamon or ginger or clove or whatever
    cream - 1/4 cup Nido or 2 tablespoons Grace coconut powdered milk or powdered coffee creamer
    salt - 1/4 teaspoon sea salt

i like lots of variety and have a well stocked pantry. Good food is worth the money to me.

Favorites are. Cranberry almond coconut, maple walnut, apple walnut cinnamon, macadamia pineapple.

I make a ton of these, put the individual baggies in gallon zip locks and freeze for long term storage.
    I never tire of them, kids like them, pack up for work meal in a pinch and the exotic flavors have high swap value

happy hiking!

Journal Entries

I don't have a dehydrator and my dehydration attemps with the oven were less than successful, hence the reason why I was going for the commercial dehydrated meals.

Well, im not sure how you can be unsucessful dehydrating in oven.
    lay parchment paper on cookie sheet, set at 150-160F, crack door with wooden utensil wedged in top

dry as long as takes. Maybe 4-6 hrs for meat crumbles, up to 12-14 hrs for thick chili.
    grind up thick stuff in blender.

Ive dried lean ground meat, jar spaghetti sauce, canned chili, and cooked pasta this way in oven
    It all rehydrates beautifully, tastes good, is simple, and is better than 95% of what you can buy.

a bit of trouble...yes, by comparison to just buying crap.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Well, im not sure how you can be unsucessful dehydrating in oven.lay parchment paper on cookie sheet, set at 150-160F, crack door with wooden utensil wedged in top
    dry as long as takes. Maybe 4-6 hrs for meat crumbles, up to 12-14 hrs for thick chili.grind up thick stuff in blender.
    Ive dried lean ground meat, jar spaghetti sauce, canned chili, and cooked pasta this way in ovenIt all rehydrates beautifully, tastes good, is simple, and is better than 95% of what you can buy.
    a bit of trouble...yes, by comparison to just buying crap.
    I guess that means I need more practice. I don't mind the trouble at all. I'll have to try some more over the winter.

went to REI today, decided to pick up a few of the mountain house meals that I hadn't tried before...juts for experimentation at home.
    Tonight was chicken and dumplings.
    I was thinking about this thread. It was more like a chicken pot pie I'd say, and certainly not chicken and dumplings, at least not even close to what mom used to make.....but while not fine dining I thought it was fairly good...

Journal Entries

Suzzz, Just keep trying different things and ways. Trying the same technique over and over and expecting different results doesn't help the thinking mind grow. I do know that meat slivers dehydrate well. Find a nice beef roast and ask the meat cutter to cut the roast very thin for you. Take you pile of meat slivers home, and trim any excess fat. Dry as you normally would. You can even marinate the meat overnight for a different taste. I use Liquid Smoke, Worcester Sauce, Tabasco Sauce and a sprinkling of ground hot peppers with salt and pepper added. It turns into the greatest beef jerky you will ever taste. Good Luck and keep trying and drying.
    Blackheart

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    Suzzz, Just keep trying different things and ways. Trying the same technique over and over and expecting different results doesn't help the thinking mind grow. I do know that meat slivers dehydrate well. Find a nice beef roast and ask the meat cutter to cut the roast very thin for you. Take you pile of meat slivers home, and trim any excess fat. Dry as you normally would. You can even marinate the meat overnight for a different taste. I use Liquid Smoke, Worcester Sauce, Tabasco Sauce and a sprinkling of ground hot peppers with salt and pepper added. It turns into the greatest beef jerky you will ever taste. Good Luck and keep trying and drying.
    Will do! Right now I am away on vacation with the family and when we get back home I'll have to concentrate on the ''going back to school'' craze but as soon as the dust settles and fall comes along I'll get back at it. I'm hoping that next year's section will be a more gastronomic experience.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++