WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Guess I'm too old-school I have carried a GPS and paper maps. And for a cellphone app I much prefer Gaia.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

I use the Gaia app when not hiking the AT. Download the map layers of the area I plan on hiking. Plot my waypoints if I need to. Use my phone to occasionally check where I am, use a waterproof paper map and compass, if I have one of the area.

on the AT? Guthook works.

Quote Originally Posted by DownEaster View Post
    I've got to disagree here. It might also be prudent to carry a second sleeping bag in case your primary one gets wet. How many people do that? You need a sleeping system on the AT. Having a guidebook is nice, but not strictly necessary.

The AT is extremely well marked, and highly traveled. You can take reasonable precautions to keep your phone going (tough case, zipper bag to keep it dry, and a power bank to recharge your headlamp and other electrical devices). If your phone fails despite precautions you can follow the white blazes, and talk to other hikers about upcoming terrain and resupply points. Ordering a new phone sent overnight to you in the next trail town would be a known financial risk, but one without additional weight penalty. Paper (which also needs to be protected against getting lost, soaked, or otherwise damaged) as a backup is an ongoing drag in your pack.
    My first thought was that you were just being argumentative - but after the ever important pause - I realized that I was the one who injected the paper argument into the thread specifically targeted at finding info for a gps hiking app. Ha!

I'll just shut up and maybe learn something.

I have done a good bit of work in Google Earth marking waypoints along sections I am hiking. I mainly use guthooks, but I would like to be able to view my own KMZ or KML that I have created. I have not found a good app though, to use offline for importing and displaying KMZ or KML. Anyone know of any?

I can view my data in Google maps, but there's no labels and there's generic symbols.

Quote Originally Posted by ldsailor View Post
    I used Guthook for over 1,000 miles on the AT and it's great. Not only does it give trail specific info, but also has a handy guide for off trail resources. It makes a printed guide almost unnecessary (I use the AWOL Guide for planning).

However, there is a new app for Android that is in beta and free to download the app and maps. The name is Hikerbot. I have it and plan to try it on my continuing hike north on the AT in September.
    not trying to hijack the thread but can anyone tell me why when you select a point on the map lets say just for example a shelter icon it will open a information window that shows the closest waypoint, water source, and the shelter in each direction. Sometimes it will say for ex. next water source 4.2 miles but then on the map you'll see a water icon only 1 mile away?? hope this makes sense i just bought the app and im still trying to get to know it.. thank you for your help

Quote Originally Posted by mitchs1224 View Post
    not trying to hijack the thread but can anyone tell me why when you select a point on the map lets say just for example a shelter icon it will open a information window that shows the closest waypoint, water source, and the shelter in each direction. Sometimes it will say for ex. next water source 4.2 miles but then on the map you'll see a water icon only 1 mile away?? hope this makes sense i just bought the app and im still trying to get to know it.. thank you for your help
    Guthook gives you distances from your position to whatever waypoint you select. If you look at the shelter information and it reports the next water source, it is reporting the distance from that shelter - not your current position.

I hope I interpreted your question correctly. If I did, then you have your answer.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fredt4 View Post
    Backcountry Navigator is my choice for Android. It isn't necessarily AT app, but I consider that to be it's best feature, you learn how to use it and it'll work for any trail. I used it for my 2011 AT thru hike and have used it since on many different trails.
    Another vote for BackCountry Navigator. It works fine with downloaded maps. I also do my own maps for it. PM me if you use BCN or Gaia and want to try to download a section. It would help me to learn what I need to do to improve (with the caveat that whatever I do has to be done with the data I have or can get).
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckT View Post
    "Legion of the Clueless" (I must be a charter member) when do I get my Merit Badge?
    I didn't know we had a legion! Tell me more!
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    I didn't know we had a legion! Tell me more!
    Lots of us. The older I get the more clueless I become.
    Unless I'm conversing with...
    Never mind. I may be clueless, but I haven't forgotten my manners.
    a vast host, multitude, or number of people or things.
    "legions of photographers and TV cameras"
    synonyms:horde, throng, multitude, host, crowd, mass, mob, gang, swarm, flock, herd, score, army, pack
    "the legions of TV cameras"
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

May be an honorarium?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++