WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

I'm a just hiker

When a thru-hiker/LD hiker is condescending to a section hiker/about section hiking I find: 1) it is a new thru-hiker putting thrus on a pedestal, a thru hike attempter that actually perceives thru-hiking as something greater than section hiking, well experienced LD hikers have a tendency to be able to look over the little things, to go with an easier flow concerning trail personalities, there aren't many experienced grumpy currently actively hiking LD hikers I know 2) one not familiar with and appreciative of BOTH the rigors of section hiking over the years, as Garlic and JB stated, and LD hiking/thru-hiking, not recognizing the pros and cons of both - the valid differences and difficulties - as Gator stated 3) a LD hiker with their head up their arse enjoying the aroma

As others said, if I was overly concerned about other's ignorance or others were overly concerned by mine many more people would be side tracked from enjoying their hikes and perhaps not spreading more empowering vibes.

Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    ...Actually what I've noticed more often in recent years on the PCT (though it just might be the increase in numbers so I see it more often) is some people trying to thru-hike just aren't much interested in any one else who isn't. They have a very strong sense of being part of a community (PCT wannabe Thru-hiker) and you aren't one of us...
    That could be left right there as wanting to be be part of a group regarding anything this can be the case...for example, being a U.S citizen labeling only a U.S citizen as an American assuming that label could only be accurately applied to those from the U.S. ignoring Canadians, Native Americans, Central and South Americans are Americans too.

I am just a LD section hiker that has thru-hiked many, albeit shorter, trails. I generally get respect by the vaunted thru-hikers in my bubble as often they just can't shake me. For the record I do introduce myself as just a section hiker and am not ashamed to do so.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    I am just a LD section hiker that has thru-hiked many, albeit shorter, trails. I generally get respect by the vaunted thru-hikers in my bubble as often they just can't shake me. For the record I do introduce myself as just a section hiker and am not ashamed to do so.
    LOL. I once heard an exasperated Long Trail Trail Thru-Hiker near Bennington(southern VT) say to a snotty egotistical condescending boastful first time AT Thru Hike ATTEMPTER going on and on about how hard the AT was and how great it was to be a thru-hiker, saying things like "you don't know what it's like until you do it" "Yeah I'm JUST a LD section hiker on the AT doing 273 miles on the Long Trail; I see you're JUST a Long Trail Section Hiker." Took a few minutes to compute in the the AT Thru-Hikers mind that he was being scolded.

Images

So, basically you are getting bent out of shape for someone (who you have no clue what they have done or are doing) REPEATING what you yourself JUST said? According to the first post.

What am I missing?
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I'm a just hiker
    Me too.

Someone asked my plans on my last hike and I responded, "I'm just out tramping". I sure hope that doesn't make me a tramp.

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    What does "they just can't shake me" mean? Are you referring to competing with thru hikers on trail??? pace, MPD, trail routines, etc??? If so that hints at you being a little bit competitive and egotistical yourself that explains much about you being offended when something might have been said to you like "are you just section hiking" when no offense or condescension or a thru-hiker's ego stroking was intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    Me too.

Someone asked my plans on my last hike and I responded, "I'm just out tramping". I sure hope that doesn't make me a tramp.
    now that's funny...
    Don't make ya a bad person

"just chill bra" is what the teens around here say

I have never found thru hikers or whoever spoke negatively on/about section hikes I've done. Usually their response was just "cool", comments on the section, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    What does "they just can't shake me" mean? Are you referring to competing with thru hikers on trail??? pace, MPD, trail routines, etc??? If so that hints at you being a little bit competitive and egotistical yourself that explains much about you being offended when something might have been said to you like "are you just section hiking" when no offense or condescension or a thru-hiker's ego stroking was intended.
    You obviously lack reading comprehension as I've never indicated that I am offended when referred to as just a section hiker. As mentioned, that is how I introduce myself when section hiking a long trail. But, generally I am able to do reasonable mileage out of the gate. This usually means that I leapfrog with some groups and many of them are a bit surprised that they see me as often as they do. They comment on it, I don't. It actually does stroke my ego a bit but that and a buck might buy me a cup of coffee.

I would make this observation about aspiring thru-hikers; many are a bit standoffish when it comes to section hikers. I suspect it is because they don't think that they (section hikers) can relate to them well and generally people gravitate towards similar minded people. This isn't to say that they are condescending. Perhaps some are but I am sure they are a very small minority. What I was attempting to say in earlier post was that I am able to bridge that gap as people become aware of my hiking ability (for lack of a better term).
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Journal Entries

Why would anyone say "just"?
    Thats your own judgemental distinction, from your mind
    Calling Mr. Freud...

Dont elevate thru hikers. Largely just people bent on having fun, with nothing important happening in lives....

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Why would anyone say "just"?
    Thats your own judgemental distinction, from your mind
    Calling Mr. Freud...

Dont elevate thru hikers. Largely just people bent on having fun, with nothing important happening in lives....
    Except, almost without exception, they are no longer having fun by the time I meet the nobos. I prefer the company of sobos who still gaze at the woods and lakes with awe and wonder, who are amazed they are on a grand adventure, who take the time to socialize. Nobos jst want to finish so they can end the misery.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Except, almost without exception, they are no longer having fun by the time I meet the nobos. I prefer the company of sobos who still gaze at the woods and lakes with awe and wonder, who are amazed they are on a grand adventure, who take the time to socialize. Nobos jst want to finish so they can end the misery.
    That was me. But it wasn't misery. The wide eyed adventurer who began at Amicalola was gone and I was just a hiker nearing completion of a trail. Did I have an epic celebration or cry at Katahdin? No, there was just a quiet confident smile. Was it as fun as the first half of the trail? No. Did I want to quit and go home? No. Was I ready to go home? Yes. Did I appreciate the efforts of section hikers and those finishing where they left off the prior year who were nearing their goal. Yes. Could I have appeared dismissive to section hikers and those claiming to be thrus before Damascus? Possibly.

Images

I "just" had this conversation on my last trip! The other section hiker I met and I decided that we would (at least personally) outlaw use of the word "just" to describe what we were doing.

I think what I find difficult is the patronizing attitude manifested in such comments as "well, it's better than nothing" (about section hiking). I do understand that most thru's are on a mission, and certainly if that was my everyday reality maybe I would feel differently about it when I met someone who was on a relatively short break from real life and soon to return to a soft bed, good food, regular showers etc. As one of the posters above said, most of the thru-hikers I meet in my neck of the woods have been at it for a good long time already. Maybe the status of being a thru-hiker (such as it is) is one of the things that "gets you thru"!

Jane

This discussion reminds me of when I was a kid working as a busboy in a restaurant and a lady asked me to take her order and I said "I not a waiter, I am just a busboy". She gave me a 5 minute lecture on how every person is important and special and I shouldn't minimize myself by saying I was "just" a busboy. I listened politely and then got her a waiter because I was still just a busboy. My young life wasn't shattered and my sense of self-worth wasn't scarred because I referred to myself as "just". I can see how it might be annoying to be called "just a section hiker" but is it really something to get upset about?
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

I see some people get this thread and others have taken it the wrong way. As I mentioned in my original post, I am not butt hurt or emotional scarred from the word "Just". I bring it up as a conversation piece which due to the amount of responses is a noteworthy, and non redundant subject. Think of the topic as this. Is the word just, in the context of separating people into different groups A) Needed to describe peoples intent or is it an additional non needed word. and B) Is it a more positive, or negative word. Benton Mackaye had dreams of using the trail to bring people together. And I think we can all agree that "Back then, it did". But in todays times of a much more separate world of every day reality to the trail life there becomes more separation in people on the trail. And I see that people perceive their shorter trip as inferior to a thru hike and in return many use the word just to downplay their time spent on the trail.

I think it is interesting to hear peoples input that have experience hiking the AT as well as other long trails and how it seems that the AT is a stand alone in the way people talk, what they ask, and the emphasis people put on their personal label of what kind of hike they are pursuing. Why is that? Why is it enough on other trails that people are all hiking, yet on the AT peoples opening salutations are based around thru hiker, section hiker, day hiker etc.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

The one thing we own outright is our insecurities and self doubts.

I think generalizing about section hikers or thru hikers is inaccurate. Both groups run the gambit from PHD's and Wall Street Bankers, to lost souls who are living on the trail and the goodwill of those on and adjacent to it.

On my recent hike I identified more with thru hikers, but I had meaningful and enjoyable relationships with section hikers as well. Two of the most knowledgeable and efficient hikers I met, were a couple (man and wife) of LASHERS from MI. I spent almost 3 weeks on the trail with them and learned plenty. While section hiking requires timing and planning, and more often than not does not provide enough time for the hiker to "get their legs", I would refute that it is more difficult. The long and arduous journey of a thru hike exposes the hiker to many more risks and opportunities for injury. A thru hike requires equipment adjustments as the seasons change and the emotional aspects of a thru hike, far outweigh what one faces on a section hike. The duration makes a difference..... a big difference. 80% of the people who go out on a section hike do not go home before they reach their goal.

Having said that, thru hikers are not higher on the food chain than section hikers and often times, the only difference is the opportunity to get the extended period of time away from work and family commitments. Some people do not have that luxury. Both co-exist on the trail, facing some similar challenges, but each group also has some differences in what they deal with while in the backwoods.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++