WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Down Sleeping Bag Recovery

I accidentally left my down sleeping bag in the compression bag for about 2.5months - is my down sleeping bag permanently damaged?
    I have taken it out of the compression bag and am letting it hang in my closet for the time being and will repack the bag into it's much larger storage bag. My concern is that I may have sustained irreparable damage to my down sleeping bag; is this the case? Is there anything I should plan to do to salvage the loft?

Rookie mistake. Any information is greatly appreciated!

...put it in the dryer ... without heat ... with a couple of tennis balls, or similar.

Will this bring back the loft, or do you think I've done irreparable damage?

I doubt you have damaged it at all ... BUT ... if that doesn't bring back all the loft follow the instructions to wash and dry with a good down detergent ... and if you do it right you will get all the loft ... but I suspect the tumble with the tennis balls is all you need if you didn't put it away dirty

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

While I don't claim to be an expert on this, I wouldn't be terribly concerned. During my formative years I beat the crap out of my old down sleeping bag when I was in scouts. I kept it in a compression sack all the time, routinely washed it in an old style washing machine (the bag had a stronger fabric than modern down bags) and put it through all the abuses that a well intentioned kid could. 24 years later I still have that bag and the only difference is that it is now comfortable down to 30 degrees compared to 20 degrees when my parents first bought it for me.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I agree with the Elf ... ... my advise was just to help you return it to it's original state more quickly .... moisture, not compression, is the REAL enemy of down!!!!! ...so when it gets wet, either when used, or washing, get it DRY before storage!!!!

Garlic
    Images

Severe compression might damage the down, but once it's compressed it wouldn't matter how long it's compressed. Just how often.

Length of time in compression would only matter if moisture was involved

Nunatak:

"The longer the individual down is compressed, the more likely it is to retain that shape in memory. Think of a snowflake; very delicate, with many different micro branches, which create space around the central core. Same with Down. If you crush the various arms/branches of this delicate wonder of nature, you will lose loft and warmth. This is what creates a 'flat' sleeping bag or jacket."
    Info...
    * Down Care and Storage (Nunatak)
    * Product Tips & Care (Western Mountaineering)
    * Washing & Care (Feathered Friends)

I'd be more worried about damaging a synthetic fiber bag. I'd wash it and dry it and it will be fine. Every time I run my synthetic bag through the washer and dryer it reminds me how much loft its really supposed to have.

Images

I would not be too concerned. +1 on the dryer, but go ahead and wash it first with some down soap. We have a front loading washer so I can do this at home, but I've also used my bathtub, and a commercial front loader in a laundromat. Then put it in your dryer on the lowest heat setting with some tennis balls. You can google how to wash a down bag.

No guarantees, but down is more resilient than most people expect.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

duplicate post
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

++ New Posts ++