Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    There is a straight-forward answer.........
    SoBo
    Yeah, don't wanna . ?

-

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    We ALL have legit connections with the PCTA. Here it is: https://www.pcta.org/discover-the-tr...ce-permit-faq/

Why are these thread questions being asked? These questions can easily be taken as one having side stepping loop hole finding illegal maneuvering motives. Is it based in the self serving "I'll do my own thing" regardless of others and anything else mindset? If none of these motives individually apply no need to feel confronted. I wish you well.

We all have opportunity here to do the "right thing." "Enforcement" begins through self enforcement - freeing ourselves - by making better decisions through character and integrity - considering our individual impacts in context of a larger whole - policing ourselves and community.

If one cares to read about the PCT Permit system at the PCTA website and which has been posted several times on WhiteBlaze on similar PCT threads it DEFINTELY IS NOT A SYSTEM JUST TO MAKE IT EASY TO HAVE ONE PERMIT THAT OVER RULES HAVING TO GET MANY PERMITS!!! NOR IS THE PERMIT NOT ENFORCED/ENFORCEABLE!!!

Do I need to start on the day my PCT Long-distance Permit says? Will it be enforced at the southern terminus?

Yes, you need to start on the day and location that you are permitted for.

The PCT community and most thru-hikers really care about the PCT and the experience it provides. You understand that the best way to minimize the effect of your presence on the environment and other hikers is to voluntarily comply with all best practices, rules and regulations regarding the trail. Having 118 people start their long-distance trip on the same day – as it happened in 2014 – puts significant pressure upon fragile desert ecosystems and the very experience you are hoping to enjoy.The first principle of Leave No Trace is “Plan Ahead and Prepare” and picking a travel time that minimizes the concentration of people (all of who will camp, drink water and leave human waste) is a critical component of being a good steward of the land.

For those that need a little more incentive to “do the right thing”, the Cleveland National Forest, approximately 14 miles from the border, is the first place where travel perm​its are required. Crest Runners, who are Forest Service employees, will be out on trail making contact with PCT travelers and they will have access to law enforcement officers. Voluntary compliance is by far a better way to operate than a system of increasing regulations and enforcement. It frees up resources for making this experience better, rather than reacting to visitor use problems.
    I can tell you from sitting in on PCTA meetings, reading PCTA and other PCT managing authorities partnership sensibilities, and personally conferring and understanding not only the PCTA's goals but also several of these various governing authorities the PCT will not be managed with an open door come one come all non quota free for all management system as perhaps is currently allowed to a greater extent elsewhere.
    you forgot to tell us when we are to bow to you up on your soap box

So on November 1st, how fast do the permits get taken? Like should I get on the website right at 10:30am ptz or will I be ok going on a couple hours later?

-Zack

Quote Originally Posted by zack13277 View Post
    So on November 1st, how fast do the permits get taken? Like should I get on the website right at 10:30am ptz or will I be ok going on a couple hours later?
    -Zack
    They go fast, and the site is crashy. Be there RIGHT at 10:30, or be prepared to be off by a day or week .

As long as I get one, I don't really care when a whole lot!

does anyone know what info is requested on the pct permit? there is a very good chance i will be unable to access any technology on 11/1/17. would love to know what info to give my son (who will be filling out the form for me)! help!

Quote Originally Posted by kdk1610 View Post
    does anyone know what info is requested on the pct permit? there is a very good chance i will be unable to access any technology on 11/1/17. would love to know what info to give my son (who will be filling out the form for me)! help!
    IIRC nothing personal/secret - just name, if you're over 18, when you're starting, mode of travel, when you plan to finish, address maybe? and whether or not you want to pay the extra $21 for a whitney permit (that lets you exit near there - no permit needed to climb). The Canada entry permit is more official, SSN, passport number, etc. Note that worst case they do open up more permits in a 2nd wave, so you might be able to get in then if this goes sideways.

Quote Originally Posted by rompel View Post
    Way to go, PCTA! Let's eliminate any possiblility for northbound thru-hikers to take the snowpack into account when choosing their start date.
    If you want to hike an overcrowded and abused trail, this is what you have to expect. Don't like it? There's millions of miles of trail in this country that pass through astounding scenery. If you want to hike Mexico to Canada, you could do it without the PCT. Now that would be an adventure.

Keep the digital copy on your phone, but print it out at 2-pages-per-page setting on your printer, and you'll end up with a mini, but readable permit you can cut out and carry with in a ziplock.

Registered User Kaptain Kangaroo's Avatar
    Images

Am I reading this right.....(see text below from the PCTA permits page). You apply for a permit on November 1st, but they don't start approving and issuing permits until Feb 15th. So you won't know for sure that you have a permit until some undefined time after Feb 15th. Is that correct ?

Do not fill out the application more than once. Doing so may result in the cancellation of your request. Fill out the PCT Long-distance permit application here.
    1. You’ll get an email confirming receipt of your application right away.
    2. We’ll review your application. If it has errors, it may be cancelled or delayed; so, double check your information before you apply.
    3. We’ll start approving and issuing permits on Feb. 15. We’ll prioritize applications for people starting early in the year. We work as quickly as we possibly can to issue permits. Please don’t ask for a status check unless weeks have gone by and you suspect something is amiss.

Yes - you don't get your permit immediately upon completion of the form. This year sounds like the same thing as last, they're just opening the process earlier.

You’re looking at a 4-6 month hike. What difference would a few days either way make? Ask for the 3rd week of March or second week of May. Those weeks haven’t filled up recently. Chill.
    Good luck and have fun.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

That's going to be a long 3 months to wait to know if I got a permit. I'm guessing that when I apply for a certain day at 10:30 on Nov. 1 that I'll get that day, right? Or do I really have to worry about possibly not getting a permit?

That's going to be a long 3 months to wait to know if I got a permit. I'm guessing that when I apply for a certain day at 10:30 on Nov. 1 that I'll get that day, right? Or do I really have to worry about possibly not getting a permit?
    If I remember right it was sort of "thanks for your application for a permit on day X", then later I got an email confirming. I don't see why you wouldn't get it, if their system accepted it.

Be creative instead of fussing.
    Get a less than 500 mile permit. Start whenever you please. March 1?
    When your greater than 500 miles, all the way thru-hiker permit arrives swap permits in your pack.
    Problem solved. You’re welcome.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

I kind of figured that if there is a date to apply for when registration opens, then I should get that date. Otherwise I'll just hike southnound.

I kind of figured that if there is a date to apply for when registration opens, then I should get that date. Otherwise I'll just hike southnound.
    The app on the website is like a calendar, you can see what's taken on what days, so you're not shooting blindly in the dark and missing. Want April 1 but it's full? Click April 2. It's really not that bad - assuming the website stays up.

You may have overlooked something:
    “On November 1 at 10:30 a.m. PT, 35 permits per day will become available.
    On January 17 at 10:30 a.m. PT, the remaining 15 permits per day will become available.”
    I hope this helps.
    Wayne

I just read that when you apply on Nov.1 there is an account manager to track the progress of your permit and I read that you should know within a week or two.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++