WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question General purpose backpacking gloves

Just wondering if anyone out there wears or packs general purpose gloves for things like scrambling blow-downs and rocks, gathering wood for campfires, or for protection while hiking with trekking poles. If you do or have, I would like to get your feedback on if you think it is worth the weight and what make and model of glove you found that works well for you.

I have Glacier Gloves for Tenkara fishing and this spring I kept them on while hiking out from the river. They were very comfy and not overly hot. I wore them on a section hike of the SHT in early June and they were great! No more chafing from my chafing from my treking pole straps! They even worked well in the rain and dry very quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Polartec Windbloc fleece gloves. I never leave home without them.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kulliman View Post
    Just wondering if anyone out there wears or packs general purpose gloves for things like scrambling blow-downs and rocks, gathering wood for campfires, or for protection while hiking with trekking poles. If you do or have, I would like to get your feedback on if you think it is worth the weight and what make and model of glove you found that works well for you.
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Firm-Grip...1-96/202203753

inexpensive, lite, heavy enough to kinda of, sort of protect your hands while scrambling through rock falls and bushes.

Easy enough to find and try out to see of it suits you. Like everything, there are trade offs

If I carry gloves, I will bring a pair of Mechanix tactical gloves. I figure that if your going to carry the weight you might as well have a real glove rather than a fleece or merino wool one that will rip or tear.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosh View Post
    If I carry gloves, I will bring a pair of Mechanix tactical gloves. I figure that if your going to carry the weight you might as well have a real glove rather than a fleece or merino wool one that will rip or tear.
    Yes, at 3 pr for $10 good price for general stuff like gathering wood, in camp cleaning out a fire ring, turning a wrench, changing a tire, light gardening, getting around tree blow downs, cleaning out the garage, and gathering firewood. I've bought two sets of three at HD. Terrible durability - particularly in the finger tips - if any amount of rock work is involved including scrambling, touching scree, touching any amount of abrasive rock beyond a few pieces, or tree work even if just residential. Thorns go right through these gloves. They aren't warm which might be a good thing at times.

Looks like they make 80 different stylesr or so, which ones are you unhappy with:

http://www.mechanix.com/all-gloves?g...FQiTaQod1vINqA

Journal Entries

I use these sun gloves year round mainly because one of my medications limits my exposure.
    Blackheart

Quote Originally Posted by Kulliman View Post
    I use a light weight long finger mtb glove; the thumbs generally have a nice big patch of cloth to dab your nose/wipe sweat. I find that the close fit works good even when using poles and that gloves help protect from the sun also.

I use NRS boaters or Paddle Gloves. Padded palms for rock scrambles and holding poles for miles, lightweight, half finger so you have full dexterity, nylon material dries extremely fast, and the added benefit of warmth down to about 38 degrees or so. Retail price for these is around $20.00, maybe a bit lower. I have used the same pair for years now without a problem and use them every time I take the poles out.

++ New Posts ++