WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

With respect to Slo', and I appreciate his POV, but I think I'm going to mail all the cold weather gear, my 20* bag, and assorted gear to Breck and pick it up there. Yep, it'll be a full pack again when I get there but I believe the remaining carries are all 75ish miles or less.

I'll carry my EE 40* quilt in the beginning. That'll give me a nice light load after day 2.

Just loaded my pack and with the quilt, minus the cold weather gear the Ohm will carry fine with 5 days food.

Journal Entries

For those forging ahead sans tent....or with bivy...

Porcupines have been eating gear at night in several areas I hear

I recalls sleeping 11000+ before I got to breck
    And low/damp in places like long gulch may be colder than you think. Really just depends.

Dont discount effect of multi days of dampness...it happens.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 07-14-2017 at 00:18.

I was going to say the distance between carries can be even shorter further into a CT SOBO/WEBO.

For a last wk July into Aug timeframe even Durango bound even though you're tarpng w/ beak (very nice coverage on the HMG Echo 2) as long as you don't allow your bag to somehow inadvertently get soaked, not sleeping super high with massive exposure and using that Ghost Whisper and maybe those rain gear pieces as well as beanie and gloves (?) You may find the WM 20* UL overkill temp wise. Better to have it many will say but ...we're talking about making the Ohm work. Its July to mid Aug on the CT. With a compression sack for the UL may be all you need instead to get the volume you want instead of micro managing your kit for 100 or so miles from TN. Instead of micro managing gear micro managing your food for all of one resupply might be better!

FWIW, on a long CDT SOBO, a differnt hike than any Ive mentioned so far, I did this area also with a WM 35* Highlite and tarp in mid Oct. I also had that T Rest Woman's pad, a down vest, rain jacket and rain pants, throwing a aluminized mylar sheet into the mix. Again when weather allowed, which was most of the time other than for two dustings, the tarp, empty pack, maps, etc were used as additonal insulation.

A quick update - I think I've found a nice solution and can make the Ohm work.

I'm going to start with a 40* EE quilt and mail my 55* summer bag to Breck. When I get to Breck I'll pick up the summer bag and keep the quilt using both as necessary going forward. I can slip the bag over the quilt when I need more warmth and if it's not too cold I'll have a choice of using a 40* quilt or a 55* bag.

Both together weight 2 lb, 4' oz (about the same as my 20* bag) in the eVent stuff sack and compressed they both take up less room than the 20* bag alone.

That's why they call you 10-K. You'll go the extra mile to make it work.

BTW, correct me if I'm wrong it's only 25-27 miles from Copper Mt to Tennessee Pass? As said I don't have any of my own CT materials in front of me. However I recall not logistically needing a 100+ mile food haul between Frisco and Lville. I try to lower wt carried between Breck and Leadville because of the significant roller coasting and because there are slackpacking and intermediary resupply/supplementing availability.

Enjoy the CT.

The 100 mile haul I've been talking about is Waterton to Breck... But, now I'm going to peel off into Bailey and break it into 2 sections.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    The 100 mile haul I've been talking about is Waterton to Breck... But, now I'm going to peel off into Bailey and break it into 2 sections.
    Now I see where you're coming up with a five day food haul. I'm scratching my head with none of my CT or CDT materials wondering what the heck is he hauling five days food for between Frisco and LVille. I dislike trying to discuss the details in writing only on the net.

10-K, I have been using the OHM 2.0 over the last year(big trip last year Echo Lake to Ashland). I am not anticipating a problem with some longer hauls on the PCT (by choice) on my upcoming PCT section (Ashland to ??). But, if you are finding 5 days tight, why couldn't you pack a days worth of food in plastic grocery bag on top of the pack? This way you don't have to waste time getting into and out of Bailey. Disclaimer: the two times I have hiked Waterton to Breck I was using the Circuit.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Images

What are you going to do further south? Your food carry for the first hundred miles should be a lot smaller than later. It sounds like you're going through a lot of gymnastics to overcome a basic gear mismatch. Extra stops, mailed gear????? That's my two cents which is worth a lot less than 10k.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Well.. i'm mailing 3.5 lbs to Breckenridge and leaving Waterton with 2 days of food to get to Bailey - that's not really complicated and it'll be a joy hiking those 40 miles with a 12ish lb pack.

It"s July. Long days. For one acclimated(one day in Denver?), fit enough to do 20 MPD on the easiest terrain the CT throws at you, starting at Waterton before 10 a.m., it is only 70 or so miles to Kenosha Pass. Segments well able to be night hiked. You could take 3.5 days chow at the start. Get to KP in the afternoon. Do an easier quicker hitch/talk up a ride at the pass, its well used by Breck and Fairplay MBers and grab 1-1.5 days traIL food and eat a burger across the street. Bailey isn't necessarily the easiest getting rides BOTH from/back to the CT. That is if you're gung ho on doing a resupply.

Also IMHO with your diversity and depth of experiences and trail saviness having this much issue with what amounts to 2 days food is ??? I think u once said you can over anal ize. Takes one to know one so I say that talking across not down to u

Maybe Mico manage your consumable BULK and Wt further into the hike on tougher higher elev terrain after Breck/Frisco and after you digest the added volume of the added quilt into the carry?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    It"s July. Long days. For one acclimated(one day in Denver?), fit enough to do 20 MPD on the easiest terrain the CT throws at you, starting at Waterton before 10 a.m., it is only 70 or so miles to Kenosha Pass. Segments well able to be night hiked. You could take 3.5 days chow at the start. Get to KP in the afternoon. Do an easier quicker hitch/talk up a ride at the pass, its well used by Breck and Fairplay MBers and grab 1-1.5 days traIL food and eat a burger across the street. Bailey isn't necessarily the easiest getting rides BOTH from/back to the CT. That is if you're gung ho on doing a resupply.
    Bill the owner of Lynwood park hostel gives free ride to from trail if staying night...it's a short 8 mile ride.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I could make it from the Chatfield State park (some 6-7 miles from the start of Waterton canyon) with a 30 pound pack and enough food to get to Breck during the first week of September, anyone can. I even had food left over, thanks to the unplanned side trip to Jefferson.

It took me 5 nights, 6 days. Since 10K is a much stronger hiker then I am, will have a pack 10 pounds lighter and starting at the trail head and not 7 miles away, I bet he can do it in 4 nights, 5 days easy.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

"...and after you digest the added volume of the added quilt into the carry?"

My bad.

Missed: "Both(the two quilts) together weight 2 lb, 4' oz (about the same as my 20* bag) in the eVent stuff sack and compressed they both take up less room than the 20* bag alone."

I dislike trying to discuss the details in writing only on the net.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Bill the owner of Lynwood park hostel gives free ride to from trail if staying night...it's a short 8 mile ride.....
    The logistical plot, timeline, and budget consequences thicken only two days in from the start...to account for two days food?

BTW 10-k you have a WM UL 20* bag, WM 35* Highlite bag, EE 40* quilt, 55* summer bag all to work with to consider for this CT hike? After your CT July hike I'd like for you to come back telling us how many nights you stacked the 55* bag and EE 40* quilt while sleeping in your MH Ghost Whisperer and rain gear(other dry apparel?) between Breck/Frisco and Durango needing to sleep under the HMG Echo II?

Images

Well.. i'm mailing 3.5 lbs to Breckenridge and leaving Waterton with 2 days of food to get to Bailey - that's not really complicated and it'll be a joy hiking those 40 miles with a 12ish lb pack.
    Got it, but this is only a 100 mile carry. What is you plan further down south? Are you resupplying every 40 miles because you will have all your bulky gear (including two sleeping bags.).
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Unless I'm mistaken, the 104 mile carry from Waterton to Breckenridge is the longest haul on the CT - after that it's every 50-75 miles.

Something I haven't said is that I'm going to try a different hiking style this hike - rather than churn out 25-30 mile days I'm going to try a slower, relaxed hike with more stops along the way. I've budgeted 30 days to complete the hike.

With all the daylight available, I should be able to hit 20 miles as long as I'm on the trail by 10ish every day.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++