WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default Just can't make the Ohm 2.0 work for the CT

Interesting thing... the 5 food day haul to Frisco puts the use of my Ohm just out of practical reach.... Looks like I might have to take the Circuit.

Food and gear just won't fit... I've went through my gear (actually.... I know my gear pretty well) and I'm not taking anything I don't need....

If I could take my 35* bag I could make it work but over and over I've been told a 20* bag is optimum. The bag is what's sucking up the room in my pack.

Gear list:

20* WM Ultralite bag
    eVent dry sack for bag.

HLMG Echo II tarp
    HLMG Echo II tarp beak
    10 stakes
    cuben fiber sack for tarp/stakes

zPacks cuben fiber ground cloth
    Neoair short

Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer puffy
    merino wool glove liners
    buff
    wool beanie

Mountain Hardware rain/wind shell
    ULA rain skirt
    eVent rain mitts

2 pair socks
    short sleeve super thin town shirt

5000 mAh battery
    lightning cable
    usb charger cable
    wall plug for charger cables

4 32 oz platypus bottles + coupler to flush Sawyer squeeze

5 oz's of toiletries, 1st aid kit, ditty, misc. (All together the size of a can of soup.)

extra hiking pole tip
    AAA penlight
    Gerber shorty knife
    BD Spot headlamp

That's it. Obviously doesn't list the things I'm wearing/carrying but I'm just talking specifically about pack space in relation to the gear that goes in it.
    Last edited by 10-K; 07-13-2017 at 16:28.

Obviously weather changes but if had to do over that first 100 miles I'd have mailed ahead my.......
    Puffy, beenie, gloves, wall charger to first drop...I had plenary of room in a 48l MLD prophet but was getting close to its comfort limits with 5 days of food and a 20lb dog on top....

I had similar gear....
    20* quilt, bulky cuben duomid, Borah bivy, lg neoair, Montbel ul down parka, dogs sleeping bag etc....another option you could grab a hostel and resupply at mile 40 and end seg 3 call for free 8 mile ride to stay at the Lakewood park hostel...easy ending for second day as I know your much faster than I....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man... what a good idea to mail the cold weather stuff ahead.

Would I need it before Twin Lakes you think? I believe that's about 175 miles in.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Man... what a good idea to mail the cold weather stuff ahead.

Would I need it before Twin Lakes you think? I believe that's about 175 miles in.
    Hopefully someone with experience chimes in....I can't remember when your going but......I sure as hell didn't need them early July.......

When is the hiking time and direction and is this for a CT section hike or thru?

Between Leadville and Breck opportunities exist for lowering food wt and bulk by adding in an intermediary food resupply and supplementing. These opps exist in other CT and CDT segments. WHY are you planning five days food from Frisco NO MATTER your direction of CT travel?

Is your 35* bag a WM Highlite?

What makes you think you need to carry up to 1 gal or almost 4 L(3.8 L) of water for the CT?

I'll be in Denver around noon on the 20th, staying in Littleton, and Ubering to Waterton the morning of the 22nd.

Depending on how itchy I am to get started I might roll out late afternoon on the 21st and get 8 or so miles in the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    When is the hiking time and direction and is this for a CT section hike or thru?

Between Leadville and Breck opportunities exist for lowering food wt and bulk by adding in an intermediary food resupply and supplementing. These opps exist in other CT and CDT segments. WHY are you planning five days food from Frisco NO MATTER your direction of CT travel?

What makes you think you need to carry up to 1 gal or almost 4 L(3.8 L) of water for the CT?
    See below.

1. Starting at Waterton on the 22nd.

2. All my bags are WM. Yes, it's a Highlite.

3. I'm not planning on carrying a gallon of water. I'm planning on having the capacity to carry a gallon of water. Big difference there.

4. I'm aware of the resupply options before Frisco/Breck.

Is you eVent dry sack a eVent compression sack?

Sea to Summit 13L eVent dry bag.

Too Frisco/Breck..104 miles....I tried to reply but your box full...

I made a GoLite Adrenaline 20* quilt work cowboy camping with an MLD Superlight WR Bivy and T-Rest Womans Neo Air(3.9 R value) in early- third wk of Oct. I had along a MLD Grace Cuben 1.5 p custom sized tarp as back up for overhead shelter erected A-frame config. The tarp was used when I cowboyed as added under insulation along with any unfolded maps, etc. It got down to 16* twice, 17* and 19* once, and few times in the low 20's. But I did that CT hike as an inside out flip flop going SOBO from Salida first to get the highest elevations generally out of the way first. I sometimes slept in all my apparel including a MB Versalite Rain Jacket, running gloves, merino beanie, etc always dry. This was mid Oct not mid July!

From all you've shared through the yrs I bet you could work the 35* Highlite tweaking the rating by going to a higher R value longer T Rest like the Womans Neo air or adding some greater under insulation, wearing your apparel, and using the HMG Echo to best advantage in wisely chosen protected CS's.

I still don't understand why you're carry 5 days food from Frisco if you're next resupply could be L Ville and/or also supplementing at Copper Mt Resort given your daily mileage capabilities. The trail mileage between those two potential resupply pts doesn't warrant a 5 day food haul for you during July. Eat your b-fast in Frisco early in the morn before you're start. Supplement(EAT!) on the fly at the Conoco/Healthy Tomato/Sky Chutes Coffee House on Ten Mile Crk at the Copper Rd Junction. BTW, there is more than one way to get to Lville off the CT/CDT. It's not only Tennessee Pass that can get you into Lville to the USPO or grocery store although that can be/prolly is the easiest without a planned shuttle. Why mention this? It changes the mileage between potential resupplying hence the food haul.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Too Frisco/Breck..104 miles....I tried to reply but your box full...

I may be wrong but it doesn't have to be 104 miles. All my CT stuff is currently in storage. AND, going into Frisco from Copper Mt is different than going into Frisco from the Breck area THs mileage wise. And, again, there're more ways than only one to get into Lville changing mileage between Frisco and L Ville although Tennessee Pass is the most straight forward without arranging a shuttle or relying on a hitch from Turqouise Lake. In July that hitch shouldn't be as problematic as could a mid fall hitch as I did one time although I had less than a 15 min wait BOTH directions(from/to the CT/CDT).

See if any of that helps. If you need more I did a CT thru SOBO/WEBO(I actually veered off the CT to the CDT from the top of Elk Creek to Chama NM instead of going to Durango using a 35* WM Highlite in Aug which is why I asked about your 35* bag. That was a great hike.

I've been using an Ohm 2.0 for the last three hiking seasons and have had five days of food in there at least once in each of my last three backpacking trips. And on this last trip I had a synthetic 20 degree quilt which was undoubtedly bulkier than your down Western Mountaineering bag. One thing I have found that helps maximize capacity on it is to completely fill the main compartment before I try to put anything in the mesh outer pocket. I put my tent, my one tent pole, stakes, umbrella, and my second water bottle in that outer mesh pocket. Granted, I never carry a stove and my only electronics is a small flip phone, but still my base weight is always somewhere between 12.5 and 15 pounds which I believe is heavier than you usually travel (five days of food for me will weigh in at about nine pounds and will take up most of an Ursack Minor).
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

I may be wrong but it doesn't have to be 104 miles. All my CT stuff is currently in storage. AND, going into Frisco from Copper Mt is different than going into Frisco from the Breck area THs mileage wise. And, again, there're more ways than only one to get into Lville changing mileage between Frisco and L Ville although Tennessee Pass is the most straight forward without arranging a shuttle or relying on a hitch from Turqouise Lake. In July that hitch shouldn't be as problematic as could a mid fall hitch as I did one time although I had less than a 15 min wait BOTH directions(from/to the CT/CDT).
    I assumed 10k was talking about first 100 miles out of Waterton........thx for the plethora of info...my brain is fried.....

That CT heat really got to ya, hey?

First 100 miles out of Wateron is even more workable without a 20* bag with his kit in July.

First 100 miles out of Wateron is even more workable without a 20* bag with his kit in July.
    Honestly I would have been fine with the bivy alone...

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Honestly I would have been fine with the bivy alone...

For the segments you covered during mid July with the weather you had...prolly OK...but for the higher elev segments with exposure further south once the rain starts...? Plus, I don't recall the rest of your kit. HYOH.

It's tempting to start with the 35* and switch out when you get to Frisco or Leadville. But you'd still have to switch out packs too or be cramped for space again. Might as well start out with the full load.

When I did segs 1-6 the first week of September last year, I really didn't need the 20* bag until the first night above 10,000 feet, just before Brekenridge. But I lucked out with perfect weather and only one afternoon T storm to deal with.

Looking at the long range forecasts for the mountains, plan to get wet.
    Last edited by Slo-go'en; 07-13-2017 at 22:01.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++